ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

330Ci - requires some TLC

Bought a 330ci a fortnight ago. It's a pre-facelift which i really wanted (they look more aggressive than the facelift imo), low mileage at only 58,000 and has full spec - i think literally everything available, xenons, heated memory leather, nav, electric sunroof etc etc. However, the paintwork is absolutely dire. There are a few things that require bodyshop attention, but i generally want to tackle the paintwork myself. I have just purchased a rotary polisher but on researching paint defects have come across something that concerns me a bit - clearcoat failure. I wonder if any paint bod out there could advice me whether the below is just oxidation (and can be polished out) or is failure of the clearcoat? Thanks!

20140415_195805_zpsexbxxaxe.jpg

20140415_195716_zpsv2ezmhez.jpg

20140415_200119_zpsvdqwowcr.jpg

Garden is getting full! (MX5 for sale advert appearing soon if anyone interested!)

20140415_200112_zpswmdb9g7j.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, thanks for the PM. I would say it looks more like a poor smart repair if i'm honest.

I'll also be honest, going at a BMW with a rotary is not going to end well. You need an aggressive/strong compound to do any correction work in reality which leads to possible strike through without a paint depth gauge.

Personally i'd pay someone to do it on something like that. Unless you just want to enhance the paintwork with some Lime Prime or similar. Also better with maybe a DA polisher to begin with and learn control.

Hi mate, thanks for the PM. I would say it looks more like a poor smart repair if i'm honest.

I'll also be honest, going at a BMW with a rotary is not going to end well. You need an aggressive/strong compound to do any correction work in reality which leads to possible strike through without a paint depth gauge.

Personally i'd pay someone to do it on something like that. Unless you just want to enhance the paintwork with some Lime Prime or similar. Also better with maybe a DA polisher to begin with and learn control.

Thanks mate.

Hmm, I think it may be an additional job for the body shop then. It is just on the bumper, so a respray shouldn’t (*touches wood) be too expensive.

I went for the CYC EP801 rotary (with the Menzerna bundle http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...01-rotary-polisher-menzerna-kit/prod_875.html) which I believe is not too far away from a DA?

The majority of the car is not too bad (light swirls) so if I start with the lightest polish and least cutting pad is that safe… or still a recipe for disaster!

I was quoted £700+ for full correction which seems crazy money - it has to go in to the body shop for a bit of work on the rear bumper anyway - if i get the front bumper done and polish myself it seems to make more financial sense.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
£700! His second name wasn't Dalton was it! Ridiculous!

Anyway the Ep rotary is fine mate, really easy to use, you'll be fine. Menzerna pads are crap, grab a White hex and go over it. Watch Junkman video's on Youtube and practice and watch and practice!

Said it would probably take three days work...

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Only one way to learn so i'll have a dabble this weekend.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
£700! His second name wasn't Dalton was it! Ridiculous!

Anyway the Ep rotary is fine mate, really easy to use, you'll be fine. Menzerna pads are crap, grab a White hex and go over it. Watch Junkman video's on Youtube and practice and watch and practice!

Lol I just pmd him about junk man videos, perfect for beginners

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Front bumper shouldnt cost more than £200 to get done IMHO buddy and from what you have shown id say it needs painting not polishing

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lol I just pmd him about junk man videos, perfect for beginners

Good taste mate. I think he explains things quite well for beginners and people trying out different techniques. I transformed my correction time using DA method if avoiding rotary.