ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm back, F360 - 5 day restoration.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
:eek:

So after being told off many of times by various CSnet members, I thought it's only right I share my latest creation with you all.

It's been a long time coming but I'm finally in a nice, modern, (cold) spacious unit. Be sure to befriend "Jim WhiteDetails" on Facebook as theres daily 'behind the scenes' updates, pics etc http://www.facebook.com/jim.whitedetails

Grab a brew, it's a long one:

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*

Ferrari* 360 Modena – a 5 day “White Detail”

Firstly, a Happy New Year to all! What a way to kick off 2013… Not only is the first job of the year an Italian sports car, it’s also the first in the new White Details studio! That’s right! A new year, a new unit.

So, without further ado, it’s with great pleasure I welcome you to White Details’ new headquarters. (Located a mile off the A1 north of Newark on Trent, postcode NG23 6)

The 12 year old Ferrari was pencilled in for the complete works; a “White Detail” (including full G-Techniq surface coatings for maximum long-term protection). My aim, to restore the vehicle throughout. Back to better than its original showroom condition…

“Quite a claim?” you may shout. Not really, no! You’d like to think a new car, whatever the price-tag, will be pristine, defect free and perfect in every way! This, unfortunately, is rarely ever the case…

A fitting example, have a flick through this Ferrari 458 Italia report (a £220k super car) that was just 2 days old - http://www.whitedetails.co.uk/index.php?id=162 Requiring 16 hours to get right after the supplying Ferrari Dealership ‘getting it wrong!’.

So, in dodging the bad weather, the 360 was dropped at White Details and left for the week.

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

Initial thoughts, “hey, this is a clean car…” However later unveiling lots of nasties in the paintwork including masking marks, overspray, fisheyes, buffertrails and these sanding marks found on the front bumper:

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

Tuesday morning, starting the wash sequence with some ‘wheels off’ action. Arches flushed, later dressed. Wheels deep cleaned, later protected. Calipers spruced, later polished.

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

It looks like the wheels had previously been resprayed… Not too many contaminants to deal with though.

Before/after:

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

A few sections of wheel weight glue to remove (well done to those who’d previously tried ‘hacking’ these off with god only knows what tool (see scratches))

DSC_0241.jpg

And a tar remover in action dissolving the odd lump of road tar.

DSC_0242.jpg

Ohh, oh… yep, confirmed… Wheels have been refurbed. On the car!!! Not ideal.

Silver overspray on rear passenger side brake caliper: (later removed with thinners)

DSC_0245.jpg

And a quick peak in the ‘bay to check it over:

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

Dull, slightly dusty. Not a biggy.

With the wheels back on the car and correctly torqued, AM Foam was delivered to pre-soak and soften surface grime.

DSC_0254.jpg

Whilst the intricate hard to reach areas were lightly tickled with a soft detailing brush and additional degreaser.

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

Given a thorough rinse to ensure surface is free of debris and washed with the two bucket system, a washpad and AM Bubbles.

DSC_0266.jpg

Whilst still outside, stray tar spots were chemically removed and iron filing were treated to a fallout remover.

Inside, all exterior surfaces are clayed with mild detailing clay to pick up any remaining contaminants that must be removed before polishing commences.

DSC_0272.jpg

A few spots of sap were removed and the odd blister of red(!) (front bumper respray; de-nibbed a few high spots)

DSC_0276.jpg

Blown dry to remove all traces of water/drips and manoeuvred into position ready for polishing.

Delicate areas taped and defects inspected:

DSC_0279.jpg

A good mixture of swirling and random deep scratches:

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

“Scrubbing” induced scratches from previous removal of double side tape in rear registration plate housing:

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Masking marks and overspray:

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Fisheyes:

DSC_0291.jpg

And the washed out front end suffering from heavy unfinished DA sanding marks literally robbing the finish:

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

So, with that noted, a delicate approach was taken. The car has seen paint previously (bonnet, wings and bumper (no doubt because of stone chipping!)) and with several difficult, ‘hard to access’ areas, (vents, ducts etc) a plan of attack was required and various tools/products unveiled.

Starting my paint correction high on the roof with a DA polisher and microfibre cutting pads. Albeit needing two hits, the results are good.

Before/after around the fuel filler cap:

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

After DA compounding, a fine haze can be left behind. Requiring further refinement (rotary) to burnish to a sharp lustre and defect free finish.

Before/after refinement:

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

In completing the NSR quarter, a 50/50 was visible between the completed panel and the untouched passenger door.

DSC_0310.jpg

Continuing down the NS, a few tighter areas were hit. Before/after:

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Even in the hard to reach vents, correction was good.

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

Once finalised, the NSF wing made the bumper look a little tired, lazy and dull!!

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Bumper taped ready for a 50/50. Sure enough, massive improvements were made.

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

The horizontal edge around the bumper had a tight lip that I struggled to hit properly. A mini-wool pad was used to dig through the lip and remove remaining sanding marks that before weren’t accessible.

DSC_0340.jpg

Before/after:

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

More before and afters from the front bumper:

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

Bringing the first day’s polishing to an end, the bonnet was tackled and I then decided to have a rest and lay down the G-techniq protection on two of the wheels.

Bonne before/after:

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

With the wheels off, the calipers were cleansed and arches dressed.

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

G-Techniq C5 Wheel Armour applied to complete wheel surface.

DSC_0381.jpg

Rise and shine, day 2, back to polishing.

There were some good (deep) marks down the OS quarter.

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

And requiring a rotary extension with a steady hand to safely correct the ‘hidden’ bits.

DSC_0395.jpg

Before/after:

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

Before/after:

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

Some more extension work:

DSC_0403.jpg

NS complete:

DSC_0404.jpg

Ferrari badges removed to ensure true correction.

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

Light clustered freshened up after a two stage machine polish:

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

With the rear bumper complete, the machine work was about finished…

Before packing away, the exhaust box was given a quick fettle with a soft pad and metal polish.

DSC_0423.jpg

A (blurry) 50/50:

DSC_0419.jpg

After a dust down, panel wipe and tidy, the rest of the bay was polished and dressed where appropriate.

DSC_0425.jpg

This, leaving the car stripped, defect free, ‘clean’ and ready for protection.

DSC_0426.jpg

…even without its luxury layer of wax or ceramic sealant, its super glossy and slick already!

Squeaky clean and free of oils, the paintwork was coated with G-Techniq C1 Crystal Lacquer.

“The ultimate paint or grp coating. C1 Crystal Lacquer chemically bonds to become the new surface layer of your car/boat/ plane giving unrivalled UV resistance, dirt repellency, easy clean and swirl resistance. Lasts up to 10 times longer than dealer applied products”

DSC_0428.jpg

With this applied, the paintwork was now left for 12 hours for the coating to cure, harden and set. Still, plenty left to do!

Badges polished up ready for refitting.

DSC_0430.jpg

Remaining two wheels removed, arched dressed and protection applied.

DSC_0434.jpg

Glass cleaned throughout. Here’s a 50/50 from the underside of the engine lid:

DSC_0437.jpg

G-Techniq G1 Clear Vision applied to all exterior panes.

G-Techniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer used to fresh the tarnished milky look black plastics. 50/50 on rear splitter:

DSC_0449.jpg

Tool kit given a wipe over:

DSC_0451.jpg

Interior dusted, scuffs and marks removed. Leather deep cleaned and protected with G-Techniq L1 Leather Guard.

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

Door shuts polished with AF Tripple:

DSC_0462.jpg

Removal of plastic carpet film; something that should have been done properly before the car left the dealership back in the year 2000!

DSC_0455.jpg

Throughout, there was quite a collection!

DSC_0456.jpg

With the coatings now set, a final wipe with G-Techniq C1.5 Silo Seal was given.

DSC_0467.jpg

Now all that’s left is to grab a handful of after photos. Not bad for a 12 year old, eh?

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0514.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0534fb.jpg

There we have it. My first step into the New Year. A job that I thoroughly enjoyed and look forward to seeing the owners’ reaction on collection…

Thanks for reading – feel free to share/comment/like/retweet!

Jim, WhiteDetails.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I follow you around on facebook like my wife follows Gary Barlow! lol.

Renault clio 2005
How Much does all This cost? Looks Good But I don`t Think Many people would Notice the difference unless they look closely tbh.:S

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
How Much does all This cost? Looks Good But I don`t Think Many people would Notice the difference unless they look closely tbh.:S

Enough people notice that he makes a decent living out of detailing!

Ok so the average housewife won't notice, but anyone driving about in a car that warrants a detail like this is clearly going to see the difference.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Will read tomorrow old boy. Just wanted to say great to see another post from you mate.

Hope things are well.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Not seen you for ages Jim, drop us a text, would love to see the new place and catch up.

Good to see you doing well chief :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Crumbs that's nice!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^ Yes :)

I've just been looking on Pistonheads at 360's - Still 40k for a good un :(

Can I just ask I'm assuming a Megane would come under the 'Medium' Category?

Abarth 500
Good work Jim. I bet the owner was well chuffed with the ol' Fezza!

Shame about the weather though eh? Not ideal to be driving those cars around.

Jim White > Other detailers :approve:

Sorry Russ :eek:

Just lol. Have you seen any work in person from Jim, Russ or anyone else?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That looks so nice, but I quite shocked that someone painted the wheels on a Ferrari none the less whilst they were still on the car!

Oh and what is the small calliper thingy on the brakes?

S4 Avant
Now you just need to do a write up for Jons Tuscan ;)

Love that car. Goes sideways absolutely everywhere.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Such a good response - thanks guys :)

Not seen you for ages Jim, drop us a text, would love to see the new place and catch up.

Good to see you doing well chief :)

Hi James, crazy, I was going to text you today and now I'm reading this! Bugger. Sorry it's been so long; litte'un would have liked to see the F360 I bet, too. I'll be in touch!

^^ Yes :)

I've just been looking on Pistonheads at 360's - Still 40k for a good un :(

Can I just ask I'm assuming a Megane would come under the 'Medium' Category?

Cheers Daz. Yep - the owner's had a selection of super cars, 997 GT3, Gallardo, 430 etc... said he picked this (low miles) up for around £50k which I didnt think was to bad! Still a pretty car too.

Yep, the Megane is a hatch/medium/middle size thingy whatsit. The web needs changing!! If you'd like anymore info drop me a line or fire over an email :)

Wonderful.

Just sank a coffee while reading through this.

So much inspiration gained from seeing your attention to detail.

Cheers Eddie. Be sure to 'like' WhiteDetails FB page and befriend me @ Jim WhiteDetails for daily updates and behidn the scenes etc.

Good work Jim. I bet the owner was well chuffed with the ol' Fezza!

Shame about the weather though eh? Not ideal to be driving those cars around.

Thanks Magic. He was - dead chuffed. Said it wont be the last I see of him. Local chap so handy for maintenance!

He took the car today infact; snow still on the ground! *wtf*

Jim White > Other detailers :approve:

Sorry Russ :eek:

What i meant by that was Jim = the best

lol cheers James but far from it. Still learning! There are lots of super knowledgeable detailers out there - as Magic says, unless you see mine or others' work in person, it's tough to judge online. (so easy to 'hide' behind a photograph)

Those on the Jim WhiteDetails Facebook page will have seen this already but here's my latest and next to report:

DSC_0208.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Stunning Jim. Workmanship is superb. That 458 is a test of the best in detailing imo.

What's your wax choice these days? Not including RGBL of course!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Hi James, crazy, I was going to text you today and now I'm reading this! Bugger. Sorry it's been so long; litte'un would have liked to see the F360 I bet, too. I'll be in touch

Yes mate, lets grab a beer up the pub.
i have a friend with a Maserati GTS V8 i think i will pass your details on too. Few months old spec'd up to the doo-dahs.
Sports exhaust on which sounds mental:eek: