ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3D TV

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in the process of buying a new TV, after my Toshiba LCD developed some panel faults. They have offer my a compensation amount due to the fact that the TV is not yet 6 years old but they do not have spares for it. They have also offered me a new Toshiba at a reduced cost:

40TL868 which is LED LCD and 3D for under £300 inc delivery. They will also sell me some active shutter glasses for £24 a pop. - total cost £350

Do i need 3d? I don't have sky 3d or a bluray 3d player. Are any xbox games in 3d worth bothering with?

My other option is 3D Panasonic plasma - TX-P42GT20B which is used, but offers Freesat HD, USB PVR recording and generally a better TV. Total cost £350

The final option is a Panasonic TX-P42S30B - which is new from John lewis and has a 5 year warranty, no 3D and costs £450.

Thoughts?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
3D on current TVs is just a gimmik (Our Samsung has 3D ability but never use it). If you truly want 3D I'd wait until the glasses free TVs are out at the end of the year. Otherwise I'd just buy a normal tele (Saying that, most good TVs now come 3D ready).

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Probably worth going and trying it for yourself tbh. I don't like 3D. I don't know if it's just me, but watching something in 3D is like reading a pop-up book. I watched a demo in a store, and in the demo there was a clip of people walking about in Italy I think. Everybody looked like a cardboard cutout. Not sure I'm explaining myself that well lol. It could have been a crap setup, but I have tried again at home watching some ESPN 3D stuff and was left again, unimpressed.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried it an wasn't overly impressed. but i don't want to have to shell out another £500 if it takes off in a couple of years time.

220 Trophy
Although you might end up getting a 3D TV you won’t be able to watch any 3D programmes/films unless you have a 3D source like either a 3D Blu-Ray player or Sky 3D. Then on top of this you need the 3D glasses. Our TV is ‘3D’ but we’re unlikely to ever test it out. Out of the TV’s you mentioned I personally wouldn’t get the Plasma as this is old technology and pretty much all TV’s are LCD/LED now.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Its old technology but will produce a better picture. LCD has serious screen uniformity issues, clouding/banding light bleeding. i've experienced it first hand and thats why i'm wary of buying another.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Although you might end up getting a 3D TV you won’t be able to watch any 3D programmes/films unless you have a 3D source like either a 3D Blu-Ray player or Sky 3D. Then on top of this you need the 3D glasses. Our TV is ‘3D’ but we’re unlikely to ever test it out. Out of the TV’s you mentioned I personally wouldn’t get the Plasma as this is old technology and pretty much all TV’s are LCD/LED now.

I'm not really up on TVs, but is that really true?

I've had 2 x 50" 3D Tvs in the last year. It's a great gimmick, but I've used it a dozen times.

And personally, I prefer Plasma to LCD. My LCD in the bedroom is great quality, but I prefer the living room Plasma. Better colours/blacks, and looks more natural. imo.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
You can download 3d content from some torrent sides then play it from your pc to your tv? I've got the passive type of 3d (same as the cinema type) and tbh its pretty good the 2d to 3d upscaleing i hardly ever use, that is a gimmick. But the actual 3d stuff is quality, i can see where your coming from with the pop up book comments though as depending on the film it can be like this, i find animations/ cgi the best for the 3d effects.
Pc games in 3d are pretty awesome tbh! I think its the gameing side that i like the most although theres only a limited number of xbox and ps3 games that will play in 3d

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not really up on TVs, but is that really true?

Its true, but it doesn't mean they are better. I also find it funny that people are gushing over LED TVs, when in reality, they are just LCD panels with LED back lighting which allows them to be thinner. Clever marketing by the TV manufacturers for what is essentially the same technology.

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Lol at plasma being old tech... Why is every tv manufacturer their top of the range tv plasma then? They produce actual blacks, don't have light bleed or image blur.... Where as led (edge lit) do as do LCD...

Nippy white cup
I had a look at a few in comet the other day...the lg one with the cheaper glasses looked good but then there was one (maybe sony?) with much heavier/bigger glasses and the difference was night and day to me. A much stronger depth to the 3d and just in general the picture quality was much better. Ok the glasses were more intrusive but I wouldn't mind for the quality.

As for glasses free 3D I imagine it will be a few years before it becomes more reasonable price wise...sure I ready Toshiba had one coming out but would be £6000?

220 Trophy
Sony use LG screens so theoretically there shouldn’t be any difference in the picture. Likewise Loewe use Sharp screens. We have a Loewe LCD and it’s the nuts, but it was pricey, we also have two Samsung LCD/LED's and are really pleased with both of them. Simply because we can’t fault them I would definitely recommend you to buy a Samsung.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Lol

Sony use LG screens so theoretically there shouldn’t be any difference in the picture. Likewise Loewe use Sharp screens. We have a Loewe LCD and it’s the nuts, but it was pricey, we also have two Samsung LCD/LED's and are really pleased with both of them. Simply because we can’t fault them I would definitely recommend you to buy a Samsung.

The panels might be the same on some of them but the tech driving them isn't necessarily the same.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I had a look at a few in comet the other day...the lg one with the cheaper glasses looked good but then there was one (maybe sony?) with much heavier/bigger glasses and the difference was night and day to me. A much stronger depth to the 3d and just in general the picture quality was much better. Ok the glasses were more intrusive but I wouldn't mind for the quality.

As for glasses free 3D I imagine it will be a few years before it becomes more reasonable price wise...sure I ready Toshiba had one coming out but would be £6000?

Sounds like the difference between active and passive. Active will be the better one as the resolution is better.

dk

911 GTS Cab

No they don't.

You'll always get the same views on here, plasma is ace, LCD is s**t.

I'd ask on avforums if you are a member.

I'm waiting for oled which are coming out this year in proper sizes, will be epic, will blow both out of the water!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No they don't.

You'll always get the same views on here, plasma is ace, LCD is s**t.

I'd ask on avforums if you are a member.

I'm waiting for oled which are coming out this year in proper sizes, will be epic, will blow both out of the water!

Oled does finally look promising. Im still gutted SED didnt happen.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Oled isn't coming out in 4k though is it?? Plasma will be 4k before it won't it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
That doesn't really matter, what is there out there to produce a 4k picture?

Sky is still only 720p/1080i, a 1080p picture on something like a 50" screen is already epic.

Whereas oled will make current pictures and blurays looks amazing again, I don't think it will be the impact that hd had over sd, but for people who appreciate a decent picture, it will be a nice upgrade.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I've got an led 3d LG passive set.... Cannot fault it!!! Sky 3d is pretty cool. Was watching kings of Leon live in concert the other day in 3d...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
4K would require everything to be changed from camera onwards.

15-20 years away as a broadcast standard?

dk

911 GTS Cab
4K would require everything to be changed from camera onwards.

15-20 years away as a broadcast standard?

Indeed, 35mm was always better quality than HD shot footage which is why old films like close encounters and blade runner still look amazing on bluray even though they are 40 years old.

But it looks like 4k will be the first resolution to increase that quality, although on what size screen you would actually appreciate that is debatable. I noticed there was a 4k tv at ces recently, there's a 30 min programme on this stuff on sky anytime at the moment.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_lessons/sample_lesson_HD_vs_35mm.htm
This starts to explain it.

Tv has only recently gone nearly all hd, so as you say it'll be a while before they invest again, it's taken about 4 years for he to become mainstream really.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I like to stick to a simple rule, never buy anything less than a 50" Plasma.

The money that i've seen people shell out on 40" screens is ridiculous, they then come into my Living Room and cry. They can't tell the tiny differences in picture. All they see is how good HD footie or Blu-rays look on a bigger Tv.

In a livingroom it needs to be big imo. Give me a 50" Plasma over any 40" 3D Tv.

For the record I paid £525 for mine a year and a bit ago.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I'm in the process of buying a new TV, after my Toshiba LCD developed some panel faults. They have offer my a compensation amount due to the fact that the TV is not yet 6 years old but they do not have spares for it. They have also offered me a new Toshiba at a reduced cost:

40TL868 which is LED LCD and 3D for under £300 inc delivery. They will also sell me some active shutter glasses for £24 a pop. - total cost £350

Do i need 3d? I don't have sky 3d or a bluray 3d player. Are any xbox games in 3d worth bothering with?

My other option is 3D Panasonic plasma - TX-P42GT20B which is used, but offers Freesat HD, USB PVR recording and generally a better TV. Total cost £350

The final option is a Panasonic TX-P42S30B - which is new from John lewis and has a 5 year warranty, no 3D and costs £450.

Thoughts?

Second option is where you should be.
Plasma still pisses on the competition, fact.
Muppets on here who say 'looks' better in yadayada shop, FFS keep quiet.
3d tv is fine you may never watch a 3d programme but at least you have the option.
Don't shop on price look at 'real life' performance, a plasma is far more enjoyable watching experience.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Turns out the GT20b is actually a GT30b, and comes with a brand new one of these! Result!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ULP5RY/?tag=cliospnet01-21

http://www.whathifi.com/review/tx-p42gt30

I've just bought the 46GT30.

It's an epic tv and the picture quality is mind blowing but be aware of the green blob issue that all the 2011 panny plasma's suffer from (I believe a fix was released yesterday).

5ec0de03-345d-9b44.jpg

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Picked the TV up today, its bloody lovely, I got an absolute bargain there considering I got a brand new stand worth over £200 and Toshiba gave me £88 back as compensation on my old LCD panel defects. One problem though, Its got terrible image retention of the Radio 1 logo. I will run the scrolling bar every night - hopefully its not permanent.

RIP Dan
Your mistake there is listening to Radio 1, Radio 2s logo is better like their music ;-)

I thought you had kids and all that now, too old for R1.

Pics of the telly?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Can you find a blank channel ie grey snow, this sorted my last plasma after kids left in on all night with a logo in top corner.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I thught plasmas were th best thing since sliced bread and had no downsides these days.....

Strange you say it's bloody lovely though and it has an issue out of the box, if it's not sorted in a couple of days I'd be asking for a new one.