ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3D TV

dk

911 GTS Cab
I did read the post, I'm not a f**king idiot, but you got a replacement tv (whether it's new or not it doesn't matter, it still has to work right?) which is already showing issues out of the box (I was presuming it came in a box and not just bubble wrapped?), was the used one just from a shop or something? I thought you had maybe had it replaced by insurance and they had offered you that? A new one or a better second hand tv for the same price?

If its just a random second hand purchase, then again, is it from a shop, if so, surely you can take it back for being defective?

I'd want it sorting, but I'd have gone for the new one for the same price that toshiba offered me.

Anyway, I'm out, you've already given the main reason I would never choose a plasma.....but as you've now got ir issues I'm guessing you will take it back anyway?

I did read the post, I'm not a f**king idiot, but you got a replacement tv (whether it's new or not it doesn't matter, it still has to work right?) which is already showing issues out of the box (I was presuming it came in a box and not just bubble wrapped?), was the used one just from a shop or something? I thought you had maybe had it replaced by insurance and they had offered you that? A new one or a better second hand tv for the same price?

If its just a random second hand purchase, then again, is it from a shop, if so, surely you can take it back for being defective?

I'd want it sorting, but I'd have gone for the new one for the same price that toshiba offered me.

Anyway, I'm out, you've already given the main reason I would never choose a plasma.....but as you've now got ir issues I'm guessing you will take it back anyway?

Right.

The IR has gone now after a few hours of use.

Any who.

I've had 4 plasmas over the years and never suffered from IR. Maybe I'm lucky.

I've also had 2 LCDs, and never suffered from light bleed/booming issues. I like both.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ffs, I thought he meant infrared had gone as in for the remote, ffs, plasmas such donkey balls ;)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Anyway, I'm out, you've already given the main reason I would never choose a plasma

IMO plasma offers the best quality image available on the highstreet today (at a resonable price).

Some sets do suffer from IR but then there are lots of LCD and LED issues out there!

Just look at AVforms and you'll see what I mean.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
You only really get IR when you have your plasma on horrible vivd settings that you should never have anyway and it dissapears after minutes. I think most people buy lcd sets as they are in shop mode in stores with super bright settings that make them stand out, but in reality are so far from how the tv should be set up its unreal but i suppose people get used to them and expect other tv's to look the same... however wrong it is.

BMW 535d
Bought a samsung 3D tv just before xmas. Cost me about 1300 quid. Genuinely havnt used the 3D once yet. Itdoes play Skyrim absolutely frickin awesomely though

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with games. That's all I use it for.
My other gripe is that the inside I the glasses are so reflective I have to use them in a dark room / put my hood up.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
you are supposed to use 3d glasses in a dark room especially active glasses as outside light can mess up the reception and turn the lenses on and off...

I'm not so sure about that. Mine work everywhere. Although they are bluetooth controlled.

The reason for wanting to view in dark lighting, is that external light sources can cause flicker to be evident in the peripheral vision.

I'm not so sure about that. Mine work everywhere. Although they are bluetooth controlled.

The reason for wanting to view in dark lighting, is that external light sources can cause flicker to be evident in the peripheral vision.

Same with me. I did have IR glasses on one set for a few months, they kept losing sync, so went for a bluetooth set.

I have to watch 3D in a dark room, as having a lamp/lights on, will cause a slight flicker away from the screen.

Still, in the last 18 months, I've watched 3-4 3D films and only 'played' a couple of hours of gaming.

For me, HD > 3D. But it's still fun to show off/use.

dk

911 GTS Cab
they have announced that the olympics will be in 3d, opening ceremony, mens 100m final and a nightly highlights show on BBCHD i think.

might invest in one for that, will be good footage.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
4K will not be detectable to the human eye on anything smaller than 52" imo. Also arnt 600Hz neo-plasma screens the best atm?

2.2 bar shed.
4K will not be detectable to the human eye on anything smaller than 52" imo. Also arnt 600Hz neo-plasma screens the best atm?

Depends how close to the TV you sit ;) Seriously though, 4k is massive overkill for the home. That and the amount of cameras that can generate a true 4k image currently is... 1 (except for scanning film). 10 years off for home use imo.

they have announced that the olympics will be in 3d, opening ceremony, mens 100m final and a nightly highlights show on BBCHD i think.

might invest in one for that, will be good footage.

It will be s**t. I promise you. Live action 3D looks strange. It's where you will often see the dreaded pop-up book effect, and generally it often just looks forced. As I've said a hundred times before elsewhere, animated CGI movies and video games are great. Live action is not. If you buy a 3D set for the Olympics, I think you'll be massively disappointed after twenty minutes. It's the reason so many people think it's a fad or gimmick - because they've seen the wrong content.

Also, broadcast content is SBS, meaning you lose half the horizontal resolution.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I watched avatar in 3d the other day.... Another film that if people claim 3d is crap... Watch avatar 3d and I guarantee you say wow.

Agree and disagree. Both films are stunning in 2D of course, but Despicable Me is on another level in the third dimension. I can't comment on Avatar, as I have only seen the regular version of that.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I wasn't overly impressed with Avatar, but I thought it was a s**t movie anyway so that probably didn't help. Might give Dispicable Me a whirl before writing 3D off altogether.

My standout 3D experiences so far are;

Despicable Me. Toy Story 3. Cars 2. Crysis 2. Call of Duty Black Ops. Basically anything of that ilk.

My disappointments include;

Wimbledon. Some strictly dancing thing that I was tricked into watching. Various other live action demos.

RIP Dan
My standout 3D experiences so far are;

Despicable Me. Toy Story 3. Cars 2. Crysis 2. Call of Duty Black Ops. Basically anything of that ilk.

My disappointments include;

Wimbledon. Some strictly dancing thing that I was tricked into watching. Various other live action demos.

How did you get tricked?

I got tricked years ago (young and naive) to see Buddys song by a swt. She knew my weakness for The Who and said "Roger Daltry is in it". I thought if Daltry is in it then its a winner.

How wrong I was, Chesney fcuking Hawkes and the biggest load of s**t I have ever watched.

Not with the b**ch now needless to say.