ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3k rpm idle speed!

Well after just getting my clutch problem sorted (turned out to be the self adjusting mechanism on the clutch pedal) I was obviously pleased that id saved myself ~£400 on a clutch replacement!

So i went for a drive to burger king and on the way back it developed yet another f**king problem! I noticed the car was acceleratiing on its own without me touching the accelerator and it was outpulling my brakes. So i put the clutch down and the car cut out. When i started it again it was idling irratically and at times the idle went upto 4k! I originally thought it was the accelerator cable getting stuck, but even when i accelerated to 2k rpm, it accelerated on its won to 4k.

Here is a quick vid i took whilst sitting on the drive. Its not as irratic as it was when I was driving , as it actually fluctuated between 2000-4000rpm :mad: :(

http://www.xtsystems.com/Si/3kidle.avivid

Im hoping someone knows the problem. I was hoping to go home this weekend seeing as I couldnt go home for easter. But the car isnt really driveable like this.

Check the plug going onto the ISCV - mine unclipped itself causing the effects you describe...not nice coming towards a RA at 90!

haha! i can imagine its not pleasant!

i passed a police car just as it decided to jump to 4.5k rpm! Luckily they didnt come after me. The probably thought i was a right tit tho! lol

Thanks for the suggestion. I guessed thats what made the car cut out, as thats happened before. Didnt realise it made it rev irratically tho.

Willy2

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 30 March 2005

Check the plug going onto the ISCV - mine unclipped itself causing the effects you describe...not nice coming towards a RA at 90!
also check the red plastic thing that is on the throttle housing, it has three wires going to it, sometimes the wires loose their plastic coating and if they touch it causes an erratic rev and serious rough running to the car!

i just checked the plug going into the iscv again and it was slightly unclipped :) Its strange tho, as i pushed it in properly when it cut out just now, so it must have come loose again. I only replaced that clip a couple of months ago! :mad: It seems to idle normally now though! Cheers!

Quote: Originally posted by Si Griffiths on 30 March 2005
I guessed thats what made the car cut out, as thats happened before. Didnt realise it made it rev irratically tho.

whats it called :p

idle speed control valve ;)