ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3M Headlight Restore FAIL!!!!

R

RyanWXM

Can someone pls tell me what i did wrong i followed all the instructions luckily i have an other kit so i can have another go but want to know what i did wrong first??
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg

Wanna have attempt number 2 tomorrow??

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You haven't done it properly
Not used the paper for long enough then not used the pase for long enough

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't know what's int he kit but as I used to do these by the boat load, I've a pretty good idea where you went wrong...

You either went too hard on the first stage, or didn't spend enough time on the refining stage. You need to take your time with this as the plastic gets very hot and scratches easily. I found that using plenty of water helps loads.

A couple of my efforts to show anything is possible!

a0b186af61a3c6e89b09e466768b669e.jpg

4d18af797e0759f35267a771ae5a3377.jpg

9e10f31a3ee6a4e9499a914d5cf8dcb8.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Looks like it needs to be worked a LOT more with a high grade paper, and then polished

R

RyanWXM

i used a drill and spent about 2 hours doing both lights, i does say usedlight to medium force is that right?

R

RyanWXM

So what are we saying just go at it will all i've got ?? Bit of a wuss don't wanna make them worse :/

R

RyanWXM

I don't know what's int he kit but as I used to do these by the boat load, I've a pretty good idea where you went wrong...

You either went too hard on the first stage, or didn't spend enough time on the refining stage. You need to take your time with this as the plastic gets very hot and scratches easily. I found that using plenty of water helps loads.

A couple of my efforts to show anything is possible!

a0b186af61a3c6e89b09e466768b669e.jpg

4d18af797e0759f35267a771ae5a3377.jpg

9e10f31a3ee6a4e9499a914d5cf8dcb8.jpg
How long did u spend on it?

R

RyanWXM

If you really get stuck, come up to mine and I'll do them.

Itll have to be when I'm home after Christmas though.
Its so stupid that i can't even sand some plastic lol , thanks for the offer mate but i should be ok i think *ROUND 2* tomorrow

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
You did an awesome job, how many of each grade did you use?
I'd used the kit designed for two cars on just my car. I used a Corded drill but kept lots of water and was very careful :) then finished off with some Uv Sealant to stop it all happening again

R

RyanWXM

Never
If it helps I use 1200, 1500, 2000 then polish with G3 scratch remover.

You can go up further through the grades if you like.
Never thought of G3 have some might try it before having another go tbh

R

RyanWXM

Jesus.

500 and 800 are ridiculously over kill and 800-3000 is far to big of a jump.

G3 Scratch remover is my go to sanding mark remover though.
So if i give G3 a good use i might maybe get away without having to re-do??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
500??! Unless you're sanding down brake calipers, leave that in the garden shed. Jesus!

clio 172 cup
give it a good rub down with 2000 and then the g3 should bring it up
mines wern't that bad i just put g3 on the machine polisher and worked it that way

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
500?! That's way too harsh! 800 is too far really. Might be worth going down halfords and getting some wet & dry (1200, 1500, 2000) and going through the grades. There only cheap and you get a few sheets in each pack. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can get a various grade pack in there, but I'd defo start from 1200.

I did mine by hand, so I can't comment on the 3M kit.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I don't rate the 3M kit, though I know everyone else does. Much prefer doing it all by hand... takes a bit longer obviously but worth it.

Only thing is however shiny and fresh they end up looking, it's back to being dirty again about 12 months later :( still, some effort once a year ain't too bad in the scheme of things.

I don't rate the 3M kit, though I know everyone else does. Much prefer doing it all by hand... takes a bit longer obviously but worth it.

Only thing is however shiny and fresh they end up looking, it's back to being dirty again about 12 months later 😧 still, some effort once a year ain't too bad in the scheme of things.
Same here, I did my old mans ones (which looked like the car Daniel showed) they came up like new, it did take me a bit over an hour from start to finish, that was a while back & they still look new.

I did 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 and then 3m fastcut, polish and wax on mine, probably spent a couple of hours on them and they were perfect. looks like you've used too coarse a grade (800) and then jumped to something too fine (3000) to remove the scratches left behind and then simply not polished them for long enough to remove the small scratches from the 3000

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Im a sausage fingered oaf who never does anything remotely handy and even I got mine looking good. Just take it slow and steady and half a bottle of water nearby to pour on periodically. Job dun.