ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4 new Toyos

PH2 Clio 172
Got a set of 4 new Toyo Proxes T1-Rs fitted yesterday (195/45/16). First impressions are much less road noise that the previous mix that came with the car (Avons on the front, Continental Sports on the back). The car feels like it has much less rolling resistance, it glides along nicely. The Toyos feel like they absorb bumps slightly better (like cats eyes) but don't dull the feedback from the car. My only negative so far is they do feel like when I go into a corner fairly hard the sidewalls roll slightly and have to settle before the car feels firm on the road, didn't have that with the Avons (although the Avons were not that good grip wise).

B

Bucko

Road noise and comfort/rolling resistance will feel improved if your old tyres were very worn.

Have you checked the tyre pressures? Don't trust the garage to put the correct pressure in

172 Cup
I've had Toyos on my Cup for wee while now and my only compaint is the same as above with the tyre sidewalls not being greatly stiff.

PH2 Clio 172
I think you are right, although I tend to put 1 or 2psi more in the front as most of my driving is on the A38.

B

Bucko

I always just stick to the book figures because i'm too lazy to try anything different, especially when my tyres currently wear so evenly.

Ph2 Clio 172
How much did you get them for, if you dont mind me asking?

My car came with a mixture of budget and slightly more budget tyres on it! Trouble is they were replaces just before I bought it, so while I want to get rid ASAP, I cant bring myself to bin a set of tyres that have done less than 1500 miles!

But looking at the Michelin PE's they are uber expensive. The Toyos appear to be the most recommended alternative, and conveniently Ive been finding them quite a bit cheaper.

You may find that the soft tyre wall feeling is more the tread block moving as they are new and you need to scrub the tyres in for a while.

PH2 Clio 172
How much did you get them for, if you dont mind me asking?

My car came with a mixture of budget and slightly more budget tyres on it! Trouble is they were replaces just before I bought it, so while I want to get rid ASAP, I cant bring myself to bin a set of tyres that have done less than 1500 miles!

But looking at the Michelin PE's they are uber expensive. The Toyos appear to be the most recommended alternative, and conveniently Ive been finding them quite a bit cheaper.

In an ideal world I would have gone for Michelin PEs, but they are about £100 each. I drew the same conclusion as you that Toyo appear to be the most recommended alternative. I bought 4 from blackcircles.com delivered to my house for £204. Took them to the local tyre guy who fitted and balanced them for £5 a corner.

Don't bin your old tyres, once you get new ones flog the old ones on eBay as part worns.