ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

400bhp Pulsar to a... Ph1 172..?

172 PH1
Evening gents,

Thought I would introduce myself, this forum is one of the busiest around that I've been on with lots of great info, so should stick around!

Anyway, ive come from a mainly vauxhall/Jap background - always a bit scared off by the 'french' thing, but my latest car was the pulsar, not long ago now I sold her, pictured below - 400bhp and 370ftlb she was great, but f**king hard work - constantly fixing this and repairing that. Great when she was on song though, almost unbeatable.

r6BQZ.jpg

FqeFu.jpg

After seeing her off I did ponder what to do, I sat on the money for a while, spanked some of it on a new iPad etc bla bla bla - then a phase1 came up local to me, and it was nearly my wife's birthday, so the brain got ticking lol 'always fancied a 172, wife's birthday - time to nob 2 birds with 1 coni'

So it was bought, took a risk with no mot on her, next day went off to mot, £7 later on a windscreen washer pump and she was through - dead chuffed.

So she drives it around for a while, not really 'into' cars my missus but she liked it, sweet I thought.... Then come the moans, it's a bit bumpy this, a bit loud that bla bla - so I thought f**k it, bought her a 206 and now the 172 is in my hands - this is where it gets tricky...... I'm totally unsure what to do with it, do I do some light mods to it and enjoy it? Fully strip it and track it up? Although that would seem a shame as she's in great nick. Or do I look at getting a phase 2? (I like them a touch more if I'm honest, don't flame me) Anyway, I've got plenty of time to ponder...

Here she be, nothing drastic yet I'm afraid!:

Wphwe.jpg

H0WVu.jpg

bAYEN.jpg

3wXrk.jpg

fDebQ.jpg

In the short time we've had her she's had all her vitals done, rear wheel bearings, nice (although a 55 profile, not a 50 :( ) Bridgestone RE01R's, engine mounts adjusted etc, all the usual bits and bobs.

These cars are a little wonder, I can honestly tell you, bang for buck you cannot get better. Coming from a sub 5 second pulsar I can honestly say the Clio is defiantly more enjoyable. So chuckable, lovely power curve, engines love to rev and just feels nice and tight - I love coming back home and not have to fix something else that's come loose or needs adjusting lol.

My heart is telling my nice light mods, loose some basic weight and concentrate on suspension/brakes, but my head for some reason wants a plain ph2, god I dunno.

Apart from the usual service bits she is stock, so I will post some updates :)

Cheers guys!

depends on what you really want to do mate, looks like a nice motor, but if you track it its completely your choice aha

if I where you I'd focus on the handling etc, nice coilovers, whiteline ARB things like that mate.

but at the end of the day it's your car and your money

:)

nice pulsar btw bet it flew.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Love the GTiR - childhood want!

Stick with what you have mate, there is nothing you cannot do to the phase 1 that the phase 2 has (cruise maybe, but then you cannot miss something you never had!)

The throttle cable and smaller wheels make for in my opinion a more involving drive, tyres are cheap, brakes are cheap pound for pound, they're hard to beat! (poetry y0)

welcome along btw!

172 PH1
Cheers guys.

Ive just obtained some nearly new 182 genuine Renault shocks all round for the pricely sum of £13 lol. I'm wanting to combine them with Eibach Sportlines, and some minor camber adjustment, as well as mild poly bushing for a good fast road and light track feel, do you guys feel that's a good route to take?

Im also working on an air con delete kit that I will publish for free (can be done for under £35)

Brakes I'm looking at the usual ferodo/ brembo hc combo.

What else sshould I be looking at to 'refresh' the car a little bit too guys? Speaking from experience obviously.

Cheers,

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
why dont you fit

ph2 rear (bumper, lights, boot lid)
cup spoiler
ph2 interior (dash, door cards, rear seats)
recaro trendlines/sportsters.

since this car seems mint, itd be a shame to gamble it away and buy a possible fault ridden ph2

my thoughts anyway. hi and welcome :approve:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There are plenty of ways to delete the aircon for nearly free, just use an idler pulley in place of the aircon pump is the most common one, but TBH its worth just paying a bit extra and buying a cup setup instead IMHO so you lose that 12 foot long belt with the complex wrap etc.

At least with a pulsar background you'll be used to cadburys gearboxes.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sounds good mate, beware though - from memory every set of dampers are different, how much difference this actually makes im not sure!

The usual stuff to bare in mind is the cambelt (72k/5yrs) and the aux belt (36/3yrs) these must be kept on top of as you can probably imagine its good night vienna if that happens :( apart from that all the usual gubbins - 5w-40 oil must be used! They run shall we say 'smoother' on Ron 98 however alot believe this is just placebo affect!

They really are addictive wee things - ive had 3 Clio RS's now, hoping my fourth will be the fourthcoming Clio 4RS!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice Pulsar. Ranks highly on cars that I would like to drive, but not to own!

SO aggressive on launch, first 20mph is just epic on even a lightly tuned one like he had, better off the line than an evo etc with way more power.

Then it breaks, lol

172 PH1
Almost exactly as you say - although I use a v belt pulley in place of the stock smooth idler next to the ac pump, not fitted up yet - job for the weekend! I'll post up any info etc.

Yeah she is a top car, and in great nick! I just don't fancy mucking around with the interior, I,d like to keep her original ish - maybe I'll have to buy a ph2 as well :-/

172 PH1
SO aggressive on launch, first 20mph is just epic on even a lightly tuned one like he had, better off the line than an evo etc with way more power.

Then it breaks, lol

Couldnt put it better myself, although with mechanical sympathy you can be ok, but essentially you are always on borrowed time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well seeing as you like powerful 4WD Hatches, search for the thread 'Rooby Clio 172' ;)

Seems you're on the right kinda lines with the mods, Whiteline ARB's are supposed to be really good.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
tidy phase 1 chap

i'd stick to light track setup, so along the lines your on now and perhaps some fully reversible stripping, so rear seats/spare wheel etc etc, all stuff you can replace to not ruin a solid phase 1 :)

172 race build
I've got a pulsar as my road car and a phase 2 172 track toy! as you say, I'm always worrying that something going to break on my pulsar, maybe I should just buy another clio and thrash that round! Although boost is addictive...

Seems whiteline arb, decent suspension set up and half decent tires are the way to go.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I'm sure i'm going to love the reliability of the 182, looking forward to getting it on the road and the current 172 has behaved very well over last 2 years

the turbo however is the same issue as above, sooooooo addictive when it runs but 15k in nearly 6 years and still monstered 13 gearboxes........reliable it is not!