ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

42" LCD or PLasma?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
After comparing lots of different sets now with the guys at work we've decided that anything about 37" you have to go Plasma still. So I'd go Plasma for 42". I did and I don't regret it one bit. 1080p makes next to no difference at that size but does add a fair bit to the cost.

My boss just got a 50" 1080p. Being 1080p is a lot more beneficial on a set of that size, but not really worth the extra outlay on anything smaller.

People will spout 1080p till they are blue in the face but if you spend a lot of time looking at screens in a normal environment I.E. not standing an inch from it, then it makes no difference at all.

I bought this one: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...eview-Plasma-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre

As did lots of others on here. Everytime I watch something in HD I'm amazed by how impressive it looks. They've dropped in price even more since I bought mine!

Told you not to worry about your choice.

Plasma every time, Sneeks good choice ;)

Running in......Set mine up day one & have never changed settings.
(old myths again)

Citroen DS3 DSport
I can see me getting bored of the 200 hour run in period and setting it up with optimum viewing settings very soon. It's been on 18 hours now so that's better than nothing :D

I'm delighted with it, a brilliant tv.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Reserved the TV, got the Advert, went to pick it up from Richer Sounds and they did everything they could to make us by an LCD Phillips!

Kept going on about SD being crap on the Panasonic. Now I know it's not going to be anywhere near as good as my current CRT Sony (Crystal Pic but I thought it couldn't be that bad!) Decided to walk away.

On way home popped into local TV shop, had the Panasonic on display for £999.99. Asked if we could watch some SD TV through it, which they happily did. Go them to knock it down to £799.99 including free delivery and installation.

I will not be going back to Richer Sounds!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yeah SD looks amazing on my Panasonic in comparison to my old LCD. I'm surprised they treated you like that. Did the local shop offer the 5 year warranty?

Oil Burner
the worst panasonic is miles better than the best philips, anyone who thinks philips make good tv's needs their head giving a bash.

Philips have one of the highest return rates where i work, Ive owned 2 LG's both of which i wasnt satisfied with so took them back and spent the money on a panasonic (lcd admitadly) and never going to touch LG again.

The pansonic is an excellent set, if you can strech to it you will not regret it, 100mhz isnt the be all and end all of plasma's infact Samsung think that plasma cant handle it, so their tv's on do 85mhz (yet to be convinced), the pansonic you have is capable of 24fps if you desire, even though its not documented.

Philips plasma's are cheap but just totally rubbish. Over sharp, lack of pc connections, poor clear filter so a massive amount of internal reflections.

Not a philips fan incase you couldnt tell.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
sneeks, still got the 5 year warrenty. So I'm happy, plus I always prefer to support local business (even though I got them to knoch £200 off!)

The guy at Richer sounds, was very polite, and didn't give us the hard sell,just said that the Panasonic has crap SD, Crap Warrenty, always breaks etc etc. Trying to get us to got for a Pioneer, or a Phillips if we couldn't stretch to that.

Maybe they have sold the one they said they had reserved? I don't know. Just didn't 'feel' right.

The guy in RS has a Phillips, loved it!

Citroen DS3 DSport
His info concerning the Panasonic does seem to be in disagreement to everything I have ever read or been told about the TH42PX70. I'd guess he was speaking crap, thankfully you bought the same TV elsewhere :) When does it arrive?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thats what threw me, everything I have read contradicts the guy at RS.

Sky HD arrives Friday morning, TV arrives Friday afternoon!

Citroen DS3 DSport
That's a good day then :)

Are you going to bother with the run in period or use it at full quality settings immediately?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I'm going to run it in for as long as I can resist, but if there's a goot HD film on over the weekend I might be tempted.

Could quite easily just leave the TV on for 24 hours overnight for a few days.. I assume?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
sneeks, still got the 5 year warrenty. So I'm happy, plus I always prefer to support local business (even though I got them to knoch £200 off!)

The guy at Richer sounds, was very polite, and didn't give us the hard sell,just said that the Panasonic has crap SD, Crap Warrenty, always breaks etc etc. Trying to get us to got for a Pioneer, or a Phillips if we couldn't stretch to that.

Maybe they have sold the one they said they had reserved? I don't know. Just didn't 'feel' right.

The guy in RS has a Phillips, loved it!

As an owner, and a person who did a LOT of research on all the models avaiable I can quite honest say that he is talking shite and doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Phillips = s**t
LG = s**t (although their new sets are a lot better)
Samsung = s**t (well their LCD's at least !)

Pioneer = Good
Panasonic = Best

SD on a panasonic is the best i've ever seen it on a large set. and HD is superb. The only one thing it doesn't have (on my one at least) is 1080p although it will quite happily accept a 1080p signal.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I'm going to run it in for as long as I can resist, but if there's a goot HD film on over the weekend I might be tempted.

Could quite easily just leave the TV on for 24 hours overnight for a few days.. I assume?

You could, but make sure its on a 24/7 channel with no logo's or news tickers.

There is an excellent thread on avforums with all the running in settings you need to change for panasonic sets.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm using the settings from AVF and so long as you zoom in the aspect ratio before leaving it unattended then you will avoid any onscreen logos.

I leave my TV on the Virgin Media demo channel or start a dvd and leave it on A-B repeat.