ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

46,47 or 50"

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Hey,

Lounge needs a new TV,
Been looking at a range of sets from 46" to 50" but just don't know what to buy,

Hoping you guys and girls can help,

Got about £1800-£2000 to spend* but wanting a TV, Blu-Ray Player and hopefully a Nice Stand/Unit for that,

Recommendations, Experiences and Links would be great,

Cheers
Andy

*of the parents money to spend for their lounge.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
How big is your living room?

some people tend to buy massive tv's for a small room, its just not right,

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
tbh, speaking from experience, get the 50". When it arrives you'll think its massive, but you'll soon get used to it and if you go for one of the lesser ones you'll be wishing you went for the 50". TRUST ME. I've got a 50" having had a 42" before.

And yes, before anyone says it, I am talking about TVs!

TV003.gif

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Not got exact measurements but I'd guess about 18'x12' at a guess....Its the parents house and I'm at mine now.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
tbh, speaking from experience, get the 50". When it arrives you'll think its massive, but you'll soon get used to it and if you go for one of the lesser ones you'll be wishing you went for the 50". TRUST ME. I've got a 50" having had a 42" before.

I'm like that with my 37" that I bought for my bedroom that is now in my lounge of my apartment, Want bigger but fighting temptation as money needs to be spent elsewhere

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
make sure it has more than 100hz and around 80.000to1 ratio or higher, you will see these real bargins but they will only have 50hz refresh rate which is poor, we got a 42" 600hz and 2,000,000to1 ratio which shows briliant quality and was only £579

That's what I was going to say.

I got 42" and it seemed big at first. Now it's just normal. I want 50"

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've been having a browse and quite a selection within Budget,

Most for £1k plus all are 100Hz and pretty high contrats ratio's,

They are just relying on me to decide what they should get so really want some recommendations on Models not just general advice please fella's.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking Panasonic, LG or Sony,

Swaying Pani but I'm not too up on the quality of there LCD's

T

thecremeegg

I recommend plasma for that size and budget, I'd be looking to get a Pioneer Kuro if they're still selling them - best you can buy tbh. Failing that get a Panasonic, they're very close to the Pioneers in terms of image quality.

Get over to AVforums and ask them there, they know what they're talking about

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
plasma for Movies,sport,tv

LCD for gaming...so unless your parents are geeks get a plasma and try LG first they got a wide range of tvs and good prices and quality is brilliant

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Parents really aren't keen on Plasma....I know that the Tubes have a much higher lifespan nowadays but they want LCD,

Anything will be an improvement over their 28" CRT Pani

+1

I've had a 42" and 2 x 50", couldn't go smaller now.

50" seems like a 32" after 6months, it just becomes normal.

As above. Buy bigger than you think you need. It will appear small a month from now. Trust me.

EDIT: Also, don't get caught up in specs, and trillion-to-one contrast ratios. You'd never use high dynamic contrast in the living room. Ever. Unless you're a c**t.

plasma for Movies,sport,tv

LCD for gaming...so unless your parents are geeks get a plasma and try LG first they got a wide range of tvs and good prices and quality is brilliant

I disagree, the plasma offers a higher contrast ratio and therfore gaming loks better...

Contrast schomtrast. I have my Panasonic PZ800B on 'movie' which is quite low contrast, and it looks all the better for it.

LCD is better for gaming in the context of image retention. That's about it IMO.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Links to what you have Guys..... 50" LCD TV's would be great..... parents were offered a 50" Sharp Full HD with Blu-Ray Player for £1800 but I know sod all about Sharp's quality and what model it was as I wasn't with them.

Pro and Cons of each make.

Samsung - Poor Sounf (from my experiances)
LG - I have a37LG5000 I think and am very impressed by it

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Panasonic gets my vote as well;) IF you have the room then get a 50" as they are only around £50 more than the equivalent 46" as the screens are alot more common bringing prices down. the tv posted above is very good and an absolute bargain at £795 ( it is last years model but still very very good ), get a blu ray player for £250ish and you parents will be laughing...

i buy most of my stuff from here as i always get good prices http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/

few pics of my panny 46";) added a few bits and sorted the wiring since these were taken tho lol

newtv044.jpg

newtv037.jpg

C32 AMG Estate
We just bought a 50" LG plasma, 600hz, full HD! Did a little bit of research as I have no idea, lol! Bought it from dixons online which was £200 cheeper than comet or currys, although you could still probs get it cheeper than the £699 we paid!

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
We just bought a 50" LG plasma, 600hz, full HD! Did a little bit of research as I have no idea, lol! Bought it from dixons online which was £200 cheeper than comet or currys, although you could still probs get it cheeper than the £699 we paid!

Have you got a link, I might get one for my sister.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Parent do not want a Plasma TV....They want LCD,

They rang me today saying they were looking at a Phillips PFL7404H.....Its quite cheap at £1079 sp presuming there will be better TV's available.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
That is a very nice TV indeed BUT £2100 (TV) + £250 (Decent Blu-Ray) + £250 (Decent Stand) = £2600......Ouch!!!!!!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
shiit you got my quite interestred in that Samsung LED seems like good value for money at 55"

you guys really seem to be too excited by the led sets all it is is a different light behind the same old technology nothing radical at all

its good but not ground breaking

Now OLED will be different

Last edited:
  M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
you guys really seem to be too excited by the led sets all it is is a different light behind the same old technology nothing radical at all

its good but not ground breaking

Now OLED will be different

I got mine because it was thin lol

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think my parents will be up for spending over Budget just on a TV....... £2k will be max budget for everything,

Come on guys you must be able to recommend a good TV with say a price limit of £1500 for just the set??