ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k rattle - again

clio 172 MKII

This has now got worse and worse - infact its turned from a 4k to a 2-4k rattle. Mines a 51 plate with warranty until Sept 04What are the chances of a Renault dealer replacing the centre section under warranty? I know it wont solve the problem but it may make it a little quieter than it is now

Anyone had this done under the last year of the warranty?

not a chance in hell...they may give you a discount, but even so a nice aftermarket system is cheaper and looks and sounds way better..

what is this 4k rattle? rattling heard at 4000rpm or after it has travelled 4000miles? I heard noises in mine only at 1st gear speed... :confused:

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

is this the same for the 182 then cos it sounds like a whining nosie in mine but it could be just wind noise

172 FF

I took mine to Renault & they couldnt find the problem, even though I showed them what it was. I think they just didnt want to replace the exhaust.

Anyway I gave up with them & took it to Alba Tyres, who do custom exhausts & I got them to take the centre section off & fix a straight thro pipe to it, which cost me £70

Its hardly any louder when driving around normally, but it does have a bit more of a deep roar when I put my foot down.

It also picks up better at lower revs now.

[Edited by NIN-172 on 02 July 2004 at 6:38pm]

NIN-172 (without sounding too stupid!) does removing the centre section include the Cat.? Just thinking about emissions/MOT.

172 FF

Quote: Originally posted by KarlH on 02 July 2004

NIN-172 (without sounding too stupid!) does removing the centre section include the Cat.? Just thinking about emissions/MOT.
No the Cat is a seperate part. The cat comes from the manifold, then there is a flange on the end & the rest of the exhaust bolts into that.
The centre section is a funny shape. Its kind of flat then goes into a triangular shape. I was gonna get a std round silencer put in the middle, but it would have stuck out too low & maybe hit speed bumps etc..., so I went for the straight through, upto the backbox.