ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

50mm Canon lens help... 1.8 vs 1.4

Hi gang.

OK, starting from the beginning, my other half has bought a second hand, 40 year old 50mm 1.4 Canon lens. Now unsurprisingly this doesn't fit her 400D, but she is now thinking of getting an adaptor...

In my mind, this is a waste of time, so I am thinking of making her resell the item on eBay (I'll do it) and I'm going to buy her a 50mm EF 1.8 for our two years (18th April).

The question is, I understand the difference between 1.4 and 1.8, but do you guys think it is really worth the added £150-£200? As that's birthday territory, price wise, which is in May (18th). But she would like it for hols, hence buying into it too quickly.

And also, since she already has a 1.4 (better), is it just worth getting the adaptor?

Any thoughts, opinions and help would be greatly appreciated!

New lens @ f1.8 will be fine.

f1.4 is a billy silly 95% of the time. That shallow a depth of field is rarely useful.

My thoughts Dan, hoped you or Greggles would pop by.

Doing a bit of searching around, Amazong comes out as £75 plus £15 for a 3 year drop/spill warranty sounds right up my street.

Any other suggestions, Dan, or is that about it? Is Sigma worth a look in for a 1.4? Cheaper make etc?

The 50mm f1.8 is one of the best lenses you can buy for the price really.

I'd go with that. Nothing wrong with Sigma glass but you really don't need f1.4

2.2 bar shed.
Just dont try taking photos of moving objects/people as the autofocus on the 1.8 II is tragic. The 1.4 is much better with its USM motor.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Just dont try taking photos of moving objects/people as the autofocus on the 1.8 II is tragic. The 1.4 is much better with its USM motor.

Disagree tbh just dont shoot in full manual and set it up, you shouldnt struggle all that much

noisy little bugger tho lol

Looking for 182
The AF in low light on the 50mm 1.8 is shockingly bad. However it is definitely a lens worth owning as it's incredibly good value.

The Mk1 is better built and has a metal mount, although they're a bit hard to come by and are probably more expensive. Optically they are pretty much the same.

Thanks all, I have read up on the 1.8 motor, reports of 25% slower and louder. She can live with that.

This is also for scenary and snaps at a wedding where people will pose. Other lenses with USM for the moving shots, so cheers.

Nikon fanboi are we Trev? Rubbash! ;)

koi

Audi S1
The mk2 1.8 was a great lens. Only got rid of it due to the build quality, felt a bit fragile at times. If you don't want to stump up for the 1.4, try and get your hands on the mk1 1.8

Thanks all, I have read up on the 1.8 motor, reports of 25% slower and louder. She can live with that.

This is also for scenary and snaps at a wedding where people will pose. Other lenses with USM for the moving shots, so cheers.

Nikon fanboi are we Trev? Rubbash! ;)

You must have missed it a while ago, he has Nikon PJ's ;)

VaVa
It's far from perfect, but for the money it's hard to beat tbh.

I also find 50mm a bit of an awkward focal length on a crop sensor..... it's a little too long in some situations.

Buy her the Sigma f1.4 for her birthday, then sell the Canon f1.8 for pretty much the price you bought it at.

50mm on a FF sensor is epic though.

2.2 bar shed.
Buy her the Sigma f1.4 for her birthday, then sell the Canon f1.8 for pretty much the price you bought it at.

This, the sigma 1.4 is the best 'non L' 50mm for the canon mount. The Sigma 85 is lovely as well...

Well ended up just going with the 50mm from Amazon. Bought a UV filter and a 3 year drop/spill warranty for only a few quid extra, totalled just shy of £100.

Brilliant little bit of kit, and delivered next day, couldn't ask for more!

Cheers for the replies!