ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5l of oil in 2500 miles. Piston rings?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Title says it all really. I've just taken the 182 on holiday and knew it used oil so took some with me. Didn't expect to use the whole bloody bottle though. Am I right in thinking that this kind of usage without a huge hole in my sump is piston rings? The engine has FSH but is now on 150k and been cammed for the last 15k.

Noticed when giving it a lot of beans there is a bit of haze behind, not sure if that's from the exhaust or people eating my dust. There is also what looks like a rear main seal and small sump leak but am doubtful these are losing all the oil as our drive is relatively drip free with the tray off.

Haven't done a leak off yet, just looking for peoples experiences of something similar and help me weigh up whether it's best to chuck a low mileage replacement in.

Presuming there is no oil spatter underneath as in the leak is more apparent under compression then I'd say rings or valve seals, is your smoke blue?

PH2 172
Just looking for peoples experiences of something similar and help me weigh up whether it's best to chuck a low mileage replacement in.

I`d just keep chucking a bit of oil in to be honest,after I`d checked the crankcase breather was clear & risked £6 on some Wynns stop smoke.
There may be a wear lip on the valve stems that the higher lift cams is bashing through the stem seals.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Title says it all really. I've just taken the 182 on holiday and knew it used oil so took some with me. Didn't expect to use the whole bloody bottle though. Am I right in thinking that this kind of usage without a huge hole in my sump is piston rings? The engine has FSH but is now on 150k and been cammed for the last 15k.

Noticed when giving it a lot of beans there is a bit of haze behind, not sure if that's from the exhaust or people eating my dust. There is also what looks like a rear main seal and small sump leak but am doubtful these are losing all the oil as our drive is relatively drip free with the tray off.

Haven't done a leak off yet, just looking for peoples experiences of something similar and help me weigh up whether it's best to chuck a low mileage replacement in.

Sounds like my old cammed engine. I ran it for a bit, throwing oil in. Then It started to eat more. Then more.

After a Trackday at Bedford that saw it chew through quite a bit, and was down on power, I bit the bullet and swapped the engine before charging it.