ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

7.8k rev limiter

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Hi all,

having owed a 182 the rev limiter would kick in around 7,250k which I believe is normal.......

i recently purchased a 172 and have only had it a couple of weeks but tonight driving it joining the motorway i stuck my foot down to see at what point the rev limiter would kick in, to my surprise it went way past 7.5k around the 7.8k mark!!

as far as I was aware the car is pretty much standard apart from a gash exhaust which i am replacing with a k-tec super stealth as soon as they get them in

although one thing that the previous owner has modified is the air intake pipes - they have cut the original pipe at the point where it connects to the air filter (almost behind the passenger side headlight - sorry if that doesnt make sense) and fed it through halfway down the air filter box so there is like two holes for air intake into the air filter!!!!

just wondering why it revs to 7.8k - pretty sure it hasnt had a remap :eek:

Renault Clio Sport Ph2
I guess it must have been mapped, the stock 172 ecu cuts in at just above 7000. Modifications on the intake or exhaust dont change that.

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
thanks for the replies - is there any other way of confirming it or would i have to take it to a rolling road and get some figures!?

If you've got any contact details of the previous owner you could ask them? I asked the same question a while ago when I found out about my raised limiter and I was told there's a way to check the ECU about previous Maps. Tompoms will be able to describe that alot better.

Just searched through my old threads and found this reply from Tompoms.

give the previous owner a call mate.

I had exactly the same thing with my 182, previous owner admitted it when I had a chat to him as I had noticed the increased limit & it pulled very well for a standard map, managed to get the invoice of him too.

Plugged the car into diagnostics and you could see the map & date etc of when it was done - may be worth doing the same.

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)

give the previous owner a call mate.

I had exactly the same thing with my 182, previous owner admitted it when I had a chat to him as I had noticed the increased limit & it pulled very well for a standard map, managed to get the invoice of him too.

Plugged the car into diagnostics and you could see the map & date etc of when it was done - may be worth doing the same.

Thanks for your help........

Monaco 172 (02)
This may sound like a silly question but does revving to 7.8K put too much stress on the engine etc.
And as far as I know, power tails off after 6700rpm doesn't it? So how does revving to 7800 rpm help performance?

Must sound awesome at those rev's mind! :)

Mine revved to 7780 on a RR, it sounded s**t scary lol!

Peak power was at 6800, so there's no need to go over that really. The occasional blast up to the increased rev limit should be ok, but I wouldnt want to do it all the time!

Lionel Richie
helps on track if say you would normally have to go to 4th for a corner and it be a bit boggy, you can leave it in third

Hmm, so if mine revs to 7500 does that mean its been mapped in the past or something too? it definitely gets to 7500 every time I try...

Worth sticking it on a diagnostics or if someone local has an RStuner based system or a clip, you'll see the map file straight away.

53 Clio's & counting
Hmm, so if mine revs to 7500 does that mean its been mapped in the past or something too? it definitely gets to 7500 every time I try...

if it revs that high its been chipped/remapped or your rev counters not reading correctly

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
my old 172 cup is out there somewhere revving slightly higher than usual i believe..

If you change in 2nd at 7200 what revs does it pickup at in 3rd?

Same if you do it in 3rd?

Peak power is one thing, but raised rev limits help you keep it in the usable peak power range throught the gears.

I did a hillclimb recently in my standard 172 and noticed that changing on the limiter gave hesitation in the next gear, so a remap and raised limit will be essential for me.