ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

79 bhp @ the wheels

100bhp at the flywheel and 79 @ the wheel would indicate a 21% transmission loss would it not?

FWD cars shouldnt be so high so my reckoning is under 100

Simon (the geeza doing the rolling road thing) said that you lose about 30% on the transmission on the road. So he seemed to think that it would be around the 120bhp mark. I just wanted a more accurate figure

Bout 95~97hp

30% loss though the drive train is a bit high

Id say times the figure by 1.1 and then add 10hp on always about right that. There is a site on the net which gives a good explaination for why this is right think its Ford one something like Puma racing.

Surely if matey says its about 30% then its about 30%. Its his rolling road and thats what he does for a living.

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Chief on 20 March 2004

Surely if matey says its about 30% then its about 30%. Its his rolling road and thats what he does for a living.
I thought he picked cornflakes out of his beard and hung around outside schools?!?!?!

Anyway, a young chap with an Elise turned up after me and his read at 88 @ the wheels. Using Eddes calculations that works out at 106.8. Surely the road must be reading a bit low then?

yeah, i mean if we go by the 30% loss then my valver is making figures that are a wee bit silly,lol

youll probably find chief on another RR youll get a higher figure. the 172s that went on he was only taking to 6k so their figures were pretty low.theres no way mines only 10 brake or so atw less than a 172/cup.he didnt even take mine up into the revs really

IF your box was absorbing 30% of the engine power and converting it to pure friction, parts would break. Thats enough heat energy to heat the average house.

And your using a good few pounds of fuel an hour just to heat the gearbox, very unlikely.

30% in a FWD car.......Your having a giraffe mate.

What does that make my 4wd scoob?? 50% tx loss??

Like someone has said 15% seems to be the rough estimate with 4wd being around 25%. Nothing like the 30% you are quoting.

Like i said before, your flywheel figure is going to be under 100bhp as there is no way your car is producing more than a 21% transmission loss 100-21=79. I think youve got more like 95bhp @ flywheel.

Whats your car supposed to produce? If higher, then this can be down to a lot of factors including tyre pressures, rolling road, operators experience, car jumping, f**ked engine etc etc.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by DeanRSi on 20 March 2004

yeah, i mean if we go by the 30% loss then my valver is making figures that are a wee bit silly,lol
Aye, if it were 30% then my Cup would be making 210bhp @ fly with just a Viper... unlikely... :oops:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Generally 15% loss for a fwd car...

So, yours is gonna be >>>

[79bhp / (100% - 15%)] x 100% = 93bhp @ fly