ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

850 T5-R

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Did a little session on @craigyt 's 850 today. I absolutely love this thing! Pure 90s

IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Such awesome cars and Gul seems to be the most valuable. Borrowed my brothers T5 this week to go to France. Has R bumpers and wheels and is about 320bph at the moment (project 400 on a spare T5 engine is commencing..) Beige cordoury interior! It's an animal but did 10 hrs solid driving and it was so comfy! I want one badly!

Deserves whoring again
IMG_1564.JPG

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I've had two 850 T5's, an S70R and two S60 T5's, the engines are just superb. Finding a good 850 these days is getting harder and harder. The saloon does definitely drive a little bit better than the estate, you can feel it's a little bit more solid, but you can't carry many bags of sand and lengths of 2x4 in it, so it's nowhere near as cool :D

My first 850 was running about 280bhp, Koni shocks, eibach springs, all sorts of tweaks, but when we did the front garden at the house we were at back then it happily carried all the building materials around as well as all the garbage to the tip. Fabulous things.

106 rallye
I always have and still crave a yellow 850R!!

Geek moment!!

Yellow was only available on the 850 T-5R built 1994 1995, then the updated version to the T-5R was the 850 R from 1996. Only available in red, black and green in the uk. But came with lsd and larger rear spoiler aswel as softer springs and danpers as the T-5R was considered too harsh!!! Typical volvo drivers!!!!!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The LSD was a bit pants though, was a viscous coupling not a proper diff :(

Still helped it get the power down mind you, which it desperately needed. Subtle they aren't :)

Swift Sport
They didn't actually have much success with the estate, it was the saloon that got the silverware. Then they went to the S40 and the BTCC started to turn a bit pants.

I'd love an 850 though, I remember talking to Rickard Rydell back before I was old enough to drive!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Actually the aerodynamics of the estate were better, hence why they used it. IIRC the rule change was that rear wings were allowed after, so the estate's additional downforce wasn't an advantage any more.

Mork of Ork

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Passat R-Line
Actually the aerodynamics of the estate were better, hence why they used it. IIRC the rule change was that rear wings were allowed after, so the estate's additional downforce wasn't an advantage any more.
Yeah I think it was more stable at high speed, same reason for the long tail on the McLaren F1 GTR. After the rule change the extra weight didn't make sense any more so they changed to the saloon.

Mork of Ork

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Passat R-Line

They once cabletied a toy collie to the rollcage in qualifying just to annoy the people behind even more.

Now that's racing, I was on the edge of my seat watching that! That also reminds me that I really miss Murray Walker's commentary.