ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

986 Boxster S - Summer stupid purchase

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A few weeks back I decided to sell the M3. I absolutely loved it, and it was such a mint example. However, it wasnt being used enough and it was a lot of money to have sat there.

So I sold it last Saturday. And on Sunday, I went and got this. So much for not replacing it...

41322014430_32ccbd8376_c.jpg
DSC_0414 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

42228929865_b8a79b3abf_c.jpg
DSC_0415 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

43133187161_055c97b766_c.jpg
DSC_0421 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

42228931545_9b106c22d6_c.jpg
DSC_0419 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

I've had a few convertibles, but never really had one in the Summer. So I figured I'd see if it was all its cracked up to be. And for sub £8k this was the only thing that really attracted me, the only other options being an MX5 (I've had two) or a S2000 (I'm too tall for it). But I'm very glad I chose this camp/hairdresser/estate agent mobile. 77k on it, Sports exhaust, fabulous service history. Had it up on ramps today and it's clearly been garaged most of its life. I've been absolutely ringing its neck all week and it makes a fantastic noise. Not sure what to do with it now I have it, probably stick it on some track days! And of course, do the usual middle aged convertible stuff, like going to the seaside and being scared of contactless payment or whatever. (25 is the new 40, right?)

So yeah, take your shots. I've had all the usual jokes already!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
You had the red e90 m3 iirc??

I like these, colour is nice aswell
Yeah Melbourne Red E92 Coupe, sold it to a nice chap who will keep it in good check thankfully. I hope it'll be a survivor in years to come!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks very smart, never know it's that old too! How much is a half decent one??

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A lot of car for not a lot of money!

It really is! I was looking at getting a 996, but I wouldnt have much change out of the £18k I got for the M3.

Lovely mate! Wouldn't mind trying one myself one day. They quick?

Mines a facelift so has 265bhp, its not too bad. Coming from 400bhp mentalist car, its obviously feeling slower. I'm always wringing its neck, lovely gearbox and the engine hits a second wave around 5k with an awesome howl. Roof off means you can't escape from the noise either!

Looks very smart, never know it's that old too! How much is a half decent one??

Pre Facelift S' start at around £4k for a dog, £6-8k for a good one. Facelift cars tend to start around £7k but The good ones are in the £10k area (anniversary spec cars for example). I'm not saying what I paid, but it was way too little. Chap had taken it as part ex and usually deals with bikes, didn't really know what it was.

Looks quite smart, are these the ones with the dodgy IMS tho?

Yep, Pretty much all Porsches do of this era. It affects <5% of motors so I'm told, a lot of people get it changed when the clutch is. If there's no flakes of metal in the oil/filter then you're probably ok. Mines had a clutch change, and I've dropped the oil out of it. All seems good so far! The 987 (next model on) still had IMS bearing issues, but also had bore score issues. I figured in the end that 1 terminal issue is better than 2 haha!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Can’t believe that’s 15 years old, it looks a lot younger than it is. I think the wheels and colour have made it age well.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Always fancied a punt on one of these. Would have to be the 3.2S though, the 2.5/2.7 just scream pauper.

Lovely colour and spec you have on that.

997.1, Caddy, e208
The interiors look their age but the outside not so much.

I got my ceramic IMS, clutch & RMS for just over £1k with a deal through Cavendish Porsche, think they've got a similar one on now.
No brainer for me, as I was always keeping the car & even still helps the residuals if you're moving it on.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Can’t believe that’s 15 years old, it looks a lot younger than it is. I think the wheels and colour have made it age well.

Yeah, it being the facelift and the spec it is sure helps it a lot I think. Pre facelift had more bubbly bumpers, amber lights and usually smaller wheels too.

I like! Nice buy there mate ?
Looks lovely that

Many thanks!
Always fancied a punt on one of these. Would have to be the 3.2S though, the 2.5/2.7 just scream pauper.

Lovely colour and spec you have on that.

Yeah, I can imagine the 2.5/2.7's are dog slow as well. Maybe I'm wrong! To be fair with the chassis it has, I imagine you can still have a lot of fun in them. Had to be the S for me though!

Cheers!

Very nice, the right colour!

Cheers! Nearly got a black one but glad I got this in the end.
The interiors look their age but the outside not so much.

I got my ceramic IMS, clutch & RMS for just over £1k with a deal through Cavendish Porsche, think they've got a similar one on now.
No brainer for me, as I was always keeping the car & even still helps the residuals if you're moving it on.

I'm a weirdo who likes 996's, and therefore love the 90's gash interior... its very dated.

Since this car has had a clutch already I couldn't be bothered even looking it up! Although, for that price it's almost worth it. I've ordered some new ARB Bushes from my nearest dealer so may have to question them on that.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I may be mad, but I've put this up for sale last weekend. I'm not sure I want to sell it that badly, but I figured if summers over and someone else wants it (and I dont lose any money) then I'm happy to let it go.

Question is what next? Enjoyed a track day in the Boxster, so I may have to get back into a Clio for such fun. Either a decent-ish 182 Trophy or well fettled track car for cheaper.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Better off selling in the spring if you wanted to minimise losses surely.\

Its winter soon.
This is a common misconception about convertables. There was a time where you'd be mad to sell ay any point other than summer, but now people look to buy in the winter to get a "Bargain".

Car has been up a week and a bit, had 4 people interested so far. And yeah, I'm not making any losses on it dont worry! I'd sooner keep it.

Swift Sport
Lovely motor, nearly bought one myself. Are all Boxster S's quick...? Only reason I ask is I had a tussle with one down some country roads and he didn't pull on me down the straight bits. I can only assume he's either badged a 2.7 up as an S or he can't drive!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My brain literally doesn't understand why you'd want to sell it so soon.
I’m in no rush tbh. It’s nice but I haven’t gelled that much with it, don’t care much either way

Probably some obscure noises in the engine bay, lol
Thankfully not haha

Lovely motor, nearly bought one myself. Are all Boxster S's quick...? Only reason I ask is I had a tussle with one down some country roads and he didn't pull on me down the straight bits. I can only assume he's either badged a 2.7 up as an S or he can't drive!
I came from the M3, so for me it’s slow. But on the right road it can be very fast. 2.7s are bloody slow mind you haha. It’s only 260bhp in my S and all the power is top end. If you keep up in the revs and use all the grip you can get places very fast!

It really depends what you're used to.

They can be anything from 240bhp ish to 310bhp ish depending on model and age.

They aren't straight line rockets so if you come from something with s**t loads of torque and good power they can feel slow. But Porsches are not about that at all. They are purely about involvement and the experience. Even my friends old 2.7 Cayman which had a mere 245bhp or so, was absolutely lovely to drive on a blast. Manual box, mid engined and RWD is a winning combo which is impossible to beat in my opinion.

Swift Sport
It really depends what you're used to.

They can be anything from 240bhp ish to 310bhp ish depending on model and age.

They aren't straight line rockets so if you come from something with s**t loads of torque and good power they can feel slow. But Porsches are not about that at all. They are purely about involvement and the experience. Even my friends old 2.7 Cayman which had a mere 245bhp or so, was absolutely lovely to drive on a blast. Manual box, mid engined and RWD is a winning combo which is impossible to beat in my opinion.

I know exactly what you're saying and agree. After many many trackdays I'm happier in something that just puts a smile on my face.
I'm currently in a modified Mk3 MX-5... It's not fast at all but it's got Ohlins and the Scorpion exhaust sounds great, so it's pretty nice to drive. Just need to ditch the s**t wheels and tyres!
I came across a Boxster S on my way to Curborough and was surprised I could keep with him. I can only assume he didn't drop the box like I did!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Do you actually have an advert for this mate?
I'd love to buy it, just need to sort out my car situation!