ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Clio dci to 172 melody

Clio dci
Hi there!! New to the forum, I've been busy building my misses something new to drive and thought you guys may want to see it? I've only come across (well happy) this forum because of the nice red dci I found with Google and thought I'd post some of the fun I've been having over the past couple of weeks!

The car to start was a standard dci campus

1.jpg
[/IMG]
2.jpg
[/IMG]
3.jpg
[/IMG]
4.jpg
[/IMG]

All that was intended was to put some wheels on it and set for my misses to use but then I spotted this and brought it from a nice lad down south, the gearbox had gone, I thought I'd use it for parts and possibly a bit on fun as well which is still in the pipeline

19.jpg
[/IMG]
18.jpg
[/IMG]

All stripped and ready to go on the dci

21.jpg
[/IMG]
20.jpg
[/IMG]
22.jpg
[/IMG]
23.jpg
[/IMG]

I set about fitting all the bodywork and interior

5.jpg
[/IMG]
6.jpg
[/IMG]
7.jpg
[/IMG]
8.jpg
[/IMG]
9.jpg
[/IMG]

Then sent it packing to the painters on Tuesday morning, got it back today looking like this! Need to get some over spray from underarches etc but I have been given back worse!

10.jpg
[/IMG]

Took it to get some Tax and got the tracking done

11.jpg
[/IMG]
12.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see the difference in the wheel track on this following picture

13.jpg
[/IMG]
14.jpg
[/IMG]
15.jpg
[/IMG]
16.jpg
[/IMG]
17.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm now waiting for the wheel spacers and some lowering springs to get delivered! Looking to put them on until I get chance to look into the front sub frame wide track. The gearbox in this Clio dci is a jh3 and the 172 is as you all know a jc5 so I can't use the shafts to change everything over, I'm looking into getting some custom made shafts for it! Oh and I need to stick the sport badge on the back (I will be putting something dci on it as well) and the rub strips on the inner door cill

Hopefully the spacers will turn up tomorrow and it will be looking better but this is it so far :)

Just need to source a new near side fog light, a new lower grill as this doesn't need the air induction pipe connector and some pressed German style plates I think

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Should have just swapped the gearbox's and number plates. Sorted.

Unless the insurance was mega, why not sell the DCI for a 172 box? Hey presto instead of a slow 172 rep you actually have a err 172?

I totally understand the attraction of the DCI's MPG & insurance/tax costs though.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Smart looking eco run around, There's alot of hate for the "reps" but my brother did the same to his 1.6 simply as he generally is not interested in the performance/cost & just wanted a tidy little car, tbh though the 1.6 16v (k4m) is still a nippy little block!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
The gearbox in this Clio dci is a jh3 and the 172 is as you all know a jc5 so I can't use the shafts to change everything over, I'm looking into getting some custom made shafts for it!

the sport shafts fit the dci box no problem ( providing the 172 wide track is fitted)

Clio dci
Unless the insurance was mega, why not sell the DCI for a 172 box? Hey presto instead of a slow 172 rep you actually have a err 172?

I totally understand the attraction of the DCI's MPG & insurance/tax costs though.

Mate once I saw the car brought for parts it did cross my mind, very easy to find a box and sort it but the intention was for the misses to have something smart to drive about. She loves it so far! and I do but on the other hand I like power over looks so I've got the intention of putting teh standard body panels on the 172 and tacking it to tracks ect and lets face it if you drive it fast no matter how good you are one day it will get a dit messy and need new panels etc lol

Clio dci
Smart looking eco run around, There's alot of hate for the "reps" but my brother did the same to his 1.6 simply as he generally is not interested in the performance/cost & just wanted a tidy little car, tbh though the 1.6 16v (k4m) is still a nippy little block!

Cheers mate

Clio dci
the sport shafts fit the dci box no problem ( providing the 172 wide track is fitted)

Only on the mechanical clutch boxes jr5's etc, the box in this dci is a jh3 which is completely different set up it has a hydraulic clutch for a start and the shafts both have male splines on the end, hence why the jr5's don’t fit, the driver’s side has a female spline and the passenger has a tripod joint.

I will be looking to find some custom shafts so if anybody knows who's good for them please let me know cheers

Last edited:
  Mental 172 Cup
How come you didn't fit the Xenons in the end?

Why not fit the 172 wide track to the DCI? Would be a lot better. :)

Looks good.

Clio dci
How come you didn't fit the Xenons in the end?

Why not fit the 172 wide track to the DCI? Would be a lot better. :)

Looks good.

Doesn't fit a the moment the drive shafts are wrong type for my gearbox:coffee: What do you mean xenons the front lights? couldn't see a difference with them?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

Only on the mechanical clutch boxes jr5's etc, the box in this dci is a jh3 which is completely different set up it has a hydraulic clutch for a start and the shafts both have male splines on the end, hence why the jr5's don’t fit, the driver’s side has a female spline and the passenger has a tripod joint.

I will be looking to find some custom shafts so if anybody knows who's good for them please let me know cheers

would be easier and cheaper to just swap gearbox's in that case..

Clio dci
These 25mm spacers turn up at 12 today

24.jpg
[/IMG]

set about fitting them

25.jpg
[/IMG]
26.jpg
[/IMG]
27.jpg
[/IMG]

Half way through

28.jpg
[/IMG]

All on ready and waiting for the springs

29.jpg
[/IMG]
30.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like its on something??:S

Clio dci
would be easier and cheaper to just swap gearbox's in that case..

The box in the 172 is knackered hence it sale to me. I've just recon'd the box in the dci as that was the reason why we ended up with it in the first place which I now think is a good thing. Now the box is mint plus geared correctly for the engine it's got a new slave cylinder and clutch etc. I'd much rather change the shaft lengths now.

172 Cup
Looks really good this, I turned mine into a rep last week just need a decent clean and then some photos posted up.

Thats one hell of a nice rep! the rear end of mine looks like a rep, but I haven't gone the full hog!! (yet) lol