ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A dilemma!

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
Hi guys!

I used to come on this forum quite a lot and although I loved my 1.4 I was always envious of all the 172/182's on here!

I'm now in the the position where I can afford one myself, and the insurance shouldn't be too ridiculous!

The problem is my 1.4 has been less than reliable and something breaks on an almost daily basis, therefore telling me to stay away form renault in the future! So I'm wondering how you have all found the reliability of your 172's. And is the car 'good' enough to overlook the odd breakdown!

And as a little side question, where is a good place to get insurance, i seem to remember people talking about a couple of more speciallist insurers offering a slightly better price, may be wrong though!

Thanks!

Nothing at the mo :(
hmm.. like all cars mate

if its abused it will break

if its serviced and well looked after.. you should not have a problem

they seem reliable to me...

and ive had one since 2004...just the usual things that go wrong with all cars in my oppinion...although the parts seem to cost a lot more..

as for insurance...

cheapest im on at the moment is adrian flux...(they do performance cars)...

before that it was elephant...

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
Cheers for the fast replies!

Thankfully what I wanted to hear!

Yeah parts are expensive even for mine but have lived with it so far.

Another quick question thats just popped into my head, what sort of mpg are you getting?

My 172s been spot on, been running it for a year or so and had no problems :approve:

As for insurance i use Brentacre, nobody could even come close to there price for me anyway :star:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had my 172 for 2 years now and absolutely love it :D

I'm 25 and insurance with mods declared and zero NCB is £640 from Elephant. As for buying the car have a look at buyers guide. A low mileage car with FSH can be had for under £5k just make sure belts have been done.

Get one you won't regret it.

Edit: I get 32mpg on average (>300 miles per tank), high 30's on motorway journeys and goes down to 28mpg with "spirited" driving ;)

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring
They're pretty reliable, but things naturally cost more to put right.

I'm with Adrian Flux, but Elephant, Bell and Admiral all provided pretty good prices.

Clio V6
Have to admit I get a bit nervous about all the gadgets going wrong as my 182 is substantially more kited out than the Phase 1 V6. So far all is ok though.