ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A little help with my DA

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
What was the approach you took, Scott? Megs 105/205 is often quite a capable system.

What pads did you use for each stage? What were the processes involved?

You'd do real well to get what you truely want out of your first attempt. It takes time to get used to the movements, the control and the principles of whats going on.

Can only echo the last comments amde by Jim, Scott. Simple fact is, and this is not meant in an unhelpful way (!), you're doing it wrong ;)

No, but honestly, it will be technique used and time spent on each panel. Best bet is to have a read of a decent guide, like DaveKG's or the Polished Bliss ones. As Jim has said, you can only do so much reading... the rest is experience.

The first time I got my hands on my PC (6 years ago) I spent three days non stop on the Clio. First practising on old, spare panels, then applying what I had learned to the cars metal panels, then on to plastic wings and bumpers etc.

Fiesta ST-3
Ok lads thanks for the help. I think it is back to DW for another read of that thread lol.... I was well and truely disappointed. I didnt even manage to remove any of the marring!

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Keep at it mate, this is a 50/50 of my father inlaws shogun i did for him with a Kes da60 same as yours

dsc04429d.jpg

Not a 320d
Thats why DA fails. But then, a clio should be piss easy to tackle.

Did mine with a chem guys Hex logic green pad and menz power finish, was a good one step combo with good results. Pads make all the difference.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
took me 8 hrs to do the whole shogun with the DA, previous day was cleaning, claying , masking etc

172 money pit
Hi Scott,

I'm new to using the DA too. I bought a PC a few years ago, and then it sat in the garage for ages.

A couple of weeks ago I polished a Scooby for a friend and got some really good results, but then last weekend I hit my Clio, and had the same feeling as you. I didn't get the correction I wanted, and although the gloss was improved, I felt I could have got more correction.

I'm going to have a go again at some point and see if I can find a better technique.

Keep at it buddy. The results will come from practice.

Chris

Spot on Chris, you've got the idea. Practise practise practise. This is why many people buy cheap scrappy panels to test their methods on.

How long do you spend on a pannel with each pad?

It depends on the size of the panel...

When I did my 172 shed, I probably spent about 20mins-ish on each panel
But, I split the bonnet into 2 and the roof was in 4 bits etc, as they are too big an area to go over at once (well, for a noob like me anyway).

The actual stage, where I used the DA Polisher, took me about 8 hours in total. And the whole detailing session took me 10-11 hours.
Although, that was my first time id properly detailed the car and used a machine polisher.

When I did my mates Clio, it took me about 7-8 hours for the whole job.

So you roughly spend 20 mins per pannel, is that a various amount of pads and polish?

When I did mine, it was 20mins-ISH for each pad I used. Eg

On the front wing:
- 20mins using mild cutting pad (to get rid of swirls etc) - Menzerna Power Finish
- 10-15mins using finishing pad - Menzerna Final Finish
(The second time round takes less time)

But, when I did my friends car, it was less than that... Probably more like 15mins first time round, then 5-10mins second time. Possibly not even that long. and i was obviously getting used to the machine polisher

It only took me so long on my car because I was abit wary that if I fooked up and did it wrong, I could do some damage lol.

Fiesta ST-3
Bonnet should be into four guys, for a DA.

Cheers mate. I know you can never say how long you need to take on each panel as they all vary etc but im just concerned im not taking nearly enough time on each panel.

Honda & VW
Bonnet should be into four guys, for a DA.

Desperately wanting to get into Machine Polishing, should hopefully be purchasing one over the next few weeks.

Quick question for you JD, if you split a panel like the bonnet into 4 at what point do you do the bits inbetween i.e. the bits that seperate part 1 with 2 etc etc (hope that makes sense).

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. Something like that. The combination of breaking two cars, and having a shed runabout, lol.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Spot on Chris, you've got the idea. Practise practise practise. This is why many people buy cheap scrappy panels to test their methods on.

For Rotary maybe, but there is NO point in buying panels to practice a DA on. Put it this way at max speed on a rotary you can hold the pad to the panel in the same spot full pressure for over a min without damaging the paint. There was a test on Detailing world about it.

Best way to learn, crack on!

Wouldn't agree with that buddy - don't see the point testing on your own car. I used a test panel for things like how to hold the machine, where to put the wire so it didn't drag etc etc. Means you can work and practise without the worry of any damage what so ever.

DCi 100
I've turned to wrapping the wire around my neck as I'm too skinny for it to stay on my shoulders.

Even if you don't have scrap panels, find someone in your family with an old worthless shed and touch that. :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Wouldn't agree with that buddy - don't see the point testing on your own car. I used a test panel for things like how to hold the machine, where to put the wire so it didn't drag etc etc. Means you can work and practise without the worry of any damage what so ever.

Amateur! ;) You literally can't damage a car with a DA through the polishing process. Unless you drop the DA on the car!

I've turned to wrapping the wire around my neck as I'm too skinny for it to stay on my shoulders.

Even if you don't have scrap panels, find someone in your family with an old worthless shed and touch that. :)

I know you're not stupid, but be careful with this idea buddy. Last thing we want is your DA zooming off a panel and your neck following in that direction!!

DCi 100
I know you're not stupid, but be careful with this idea buddy. Last thing we want is your DA zooming off a panel and your neck following in that direction!!

I'm not going to actually do that lol, but f**king LOL at imagining the machine flying off and watching someone dive after it. I probably should have put a wink after my comment!

Fiesta ST-3
Next Q guys.

How much pressure do I put on the panel? Do I leave the pad skimming the surface only? Or put a bit of pressure on it?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
You need to put a bit of pressure down, yeah. Not so much that its actually fatiguing your shoulders and the pad is 'bogging down' etc but enough so the pad doesn't just 'lick' the surface. Always concentrate on keeping the pad as flat as you can; the flatter it is, the more controllable it is.

On your first few passes whilst spreading the polish keep the speeds low - just enough to thin the product out on your desired work area. Bump up the speed and give a little more pressure to start to work the polish and to put some warmth into the panel with a couple of overlapping passes. Cranking the DA up to 5.5/6 now make several slow passes with decent downwards pressure on the head of the DA. Once happy and the polish residues begin to thin even more and appear to go clear, work your way down the stages so go from speed 6 to perhaps speed 5, from 5 then to speed 3 and 'jewel' the paint as best you can. On the rotary, I spend as much time (if not more) jeweling/refining the paint on the low speeds as I do when actually cutting.