ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A lot of smoke when starting! - MK2 PH2 Clio DCi 65

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello All,

Everytime I start the Clio, whether the engine is hot or cold, it billows out a white/bluey smoke when I accelerate.

It ONLY happens for the first 25 seconds or so when I am moving off after starting the engine. Quite a lot of smoke to be honest from the exhaust.

Is this normal for a diesel? This is my first ever diesel as I have always had petrol cars.

Thank you

Fiesta ST2
I think its on some of the audi's it says to bring the engine to maximum operating RPM each journey.

I assume you have gave it some to clean out the MAF(maybe the wrong thing) filter??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
White/blue smoke tends to be oil burning off; How many miles has the engine/turbo covered? If it was black soot i'd say EGR but i suspect turbo at the minute.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Thanks for the info guys.

Its a 2002 plate 1.5 DCi 65bhp. Done 91,000 miles with a pretty good service history.

It has a small oil leak as I have noticed drops on the floor. Hmmm!

I wasnt aware it had a turbo!?!?!?! Does it have a turbo!? Its only 65bhp...

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Is it burning considerable amounts of oil ? my mother's leon emptied its oil reserve through the exhaust system when her turbo finally kicked the bin.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Is it burning considerable amounts of oil ? my mother's leon emptied its oil reserve through the exhaust system when her turbo finally kicked the bin.

Hard to tell. It has an oil leak but it hard to check the oil level! When you pull out the dipstick it smears the oil so you can't really tell what the level is! Its stupid!

Anyone know what kind of oil goes in a 1.5 2002 Mk2 Ph2 65bhp diesel with 91,000 miles on the clock??

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Sounds a lot like the turbo, if it is kicking out a lot of smoke. Is it not performing as well as normal?

Doesn't sound like the EGR valvue at all, but if you want to rule that out here is a guide: http://www.renaultdci.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=55

When you take the EGR vavlue out and if it looks like this (Do note drive):

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

Then it's most likely your turbo.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Thank you ^

Is that easy to take off? LOL

Thing is, its hard for me to say if its performing bad or good, as I've only had the car about 3 weeks! LOL - I don't know what good and bad is with this car.

Hmmm!!!!!!!!!! worrying.

edit: THERE IS ONLY A LOT OF SMOKE IN THE FIRST 30-40 SECONDS FROM STARTUP. EVEN IF THE ENGINE IS ALREADY WARM.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Its pretty easy to take off, just need to be handy with spanners and ratchets that's all. The guide is step by step.

Funny how it only likes for 30-40 seconds after start up. I suppose you could rule the turbo out by doing the EGR value.

Speak to Martin_172 or post something on www.renaultdci.net, sure someone will know.