ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A number of niggly issues...

172 Cup
Hello all,

there are several threads on similar topics to this but I can't seem to find the exact answer.

So the issues I'm experiencing:

1. The car is just awful at very slow speeds (heavy traffic etc) Quite alot of hesitation at low rpm, stuttering/jolting. This clears more and more with rpm until at least 3k where it's smooth. The idle is awful as are most but I can't coast up to the back of traffic in gear with no throttle. The car bucks and kicks it's self to pieces. So far I had cleaned throttle body and tdc sensor, replaced 1st lambda and plugs.

2. Car pulls all over the place under power. Tram lines with any camber or the lines in the road. Two eagles up front, all engine mounts are ok, tracking is fine... Any clues?

3. A lot of lock or full lock, at low speeds, it feels like the front end is "skipping" "jumping?" as though there is a million degrees of caster and the front end is jumping around on the edge of the tyres but I don't think this is the case.

Any of this ring any bells with any of you guys?

Cheers

172 Cup
Yeah sorry,

Totally Standard
Standard Dampers/Exhaust etc

60k on the clock. Cambelt done.

Started stalling a while back and i cleaned the TB and it cleared up but it just feels very choppy when y ou are driving around town. Feels great when you are driving more in a "spirited" fashion but alot of my journeys are slow city stuff and its feels very choppy.

Doesnt ever feel overly composed and im not as in love with it as i certainly thought i would be.

I do come from an MX5 background (hence EX-MX) so im used to perfect handling and tonnes of grip. The clio just doesnt feel as comfortable near the limit. Its also slower than my old turbo mx5 :( which is a shame. I was hoping for 172hp but ive got a feeling the Frenchies may have ripped us off..

I just want it to be a nice city car for the winter months but its not as smooth or effortless as i was expecting of what is effectively a basic warm hatch.

And snow is not as fun as it was in the mazda ;)

Ford Mundano
2. Mine did the same when i got it. wheel alignment came up with nothing all bushes checked and ok. New pair of michelin PS3's on the front sorted it (i had continental sport contact 2's before- they pulled all over the place even with 6mm tread). Probably worth a try, i couldn't believe the difference the Michelins made on mine.

3. Same here to a certain extent. Assumed it was pretty normal as the few i've driven have all done that.

172 Cup
I'll just ignore point 3 for the time being as everything feels tight so I don't think it's doing any harm.

I think the eagles will need swapping in a month or two so I'll see how that pans out.

Point one is the most irritating. Logic suggests it could still be the tb as it only happens when using a fraction of throttle. I will clean the tb again. I don't think it's ignition related and I doubt it's anything more complex luke the map or tps sensor.

Will give another deep clean and see what's what.

valver & 2002 mk2
Mine idles like a wh0re aswell. I'm only just working my way through the first few problems. This is about 200 on the list, but if an answers out there i'm all ears! It constantly feels like it wants to cut out between gear changes and at low rpm. It also seems to idle at about 3rpm, which is always handy which means lots of unneccessary revving between changes just to keep it running properly. Not at all impressed moving from a valver to an 02.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
be worth pm'ing schweppy on here. He had that problem on his 182 and it was the throttle pedal iirc.

172ph2
I do come from an MX5 background (hence EX-MX) so im used to perfect handling and tonnes of grip. The clio just doesnt feel as comfortable near the limit. Its also slower than my old turbo mx5 :( which is a shame. I was hoping for 172hp but ive got a feeling the Frenchies may have ripped us off..

And snow is not as fun as it was in the mazda ;)

I can't offer any help with the 172 but I'm the same, loved my 5. Tempted to look at a supercharged mk1 5 :)

172 Cup
Oliver - Im still unsure what to do. I do miss the MX but its always rose tinted specs when i look back. I may save my pennies and try and get an s2000 as natural progression. Despite being a little torque shy the engines are truly amazing and they handle remarkably. They may be a bit of a step for someone without any rear drive experience as they are far less forgiving than the mazdas but i just love them to bits.

Mr Squirrel - My ride quality seems fine. Im going to due some reading on the "ackerman Angle" tonight as i think it may be related to that. Not much of me thinks it is but if it is, and the cars French, no doubt it will be slightly out ;)

I cant imagine it being shock related. i cant fathom what it is. I just find the steering is very vague around town. On the limit it seems fine but i feel myself putting on to much lock alot of the time... maybe im just rubbish but something seems wrong..

Its point number 1 thats the b*****d and i cant think of a cure without spending a fortune to diagnose it. I dont know.. Ill keep hunting.

A supercharged Mk1 would be lovely. Ive noticed BBR are redoing the Mk1. There new kit has 220hp rather than the 150 version that i had ...mine was dynoed at 174hp but that was just with a cheeky nudge in boost :approve: