ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A "Perfect" Experience?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just looking at the number of perfect scores The Last of Us received (and of course, GTA V as well as many other titles).

Now, a 10/10 gaming experience is very subjective. For example, Fifa 2014 may be a 10/10 for someone, but another guy who hates football may score it 1/10.

All that b*llocks aside, have you played a game which you believe is a pure 10/10 gaming experience? Like, bordering on absolute perfection as far as a video game is concerned? Bear in mind that if a game suffers from flaws - from your point of view - then it can't really be described as perfect. Paying £40 for a game that you spend 100 hours+ on is without doubt value for money. With that in mind, the likes of Battlefield Bad Company 2, Football Manager and several of the GTA games have certainly offered me entertainment I've been delighted to pay for over the years, but I'm not sure any of them are true 10/10 games.

Skyrim and Uncharted 2 come very close.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Fallout & Skyrim came very close for me, ignoring minor flaws but still not a 10/10. Value wise yes full marks.

The Last of Us - Story 10/10 gameplay got a bit samey so overall an 8/10 for me.

Borderlands & Borderlands 2 are in with a strong shout but still - travelling between maps and the insistence on co-op means you cant justify full marks.

All IMO of course.

I dont think I've ever played a game that was pure perfection. Good topic though.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Not many if any to be honest.

I'm prepared to give the odd one a 9.5 - my personal faves are both Half life & Half Life 2, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, Bioshock and Cannon Fodder!

My ultimate s***s and giggles game has to be IK+ !!

GTA V, was for me everything i wanted in a GTA game & more, but it had/has its imperfections.

The Last of Us without doubt is my game of 2013. Very well executed, and a storyline that had me wanting so much more. Will definately be picking up the DLC.

But I agree with what your saying. All of my top games of recent ive played (Borderlands 2, bioshock infinite, TLoU, GTA, DayZ...) have had flaws, but I guess you'll always find something to pick at....

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think the closest game to perfection I've ever played was Super Mario World on SNES. This would be my number one. But there are so many other cracking games... give me a few weeks to think it over... :p

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I think the closest game to perfection I've ever played was Super Mario World on SNES. This would be my number one. But there are so many other cracking games... give me a few weeks to think it over... :p

Brilliant game. That and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES.

Superb.

Evo 5 RS
As you say, very subjective even though 'perfect' is really an absolute. Last of Us does come close to that really. I can't really think of anything that compares to it in terms of immersion and story off the top of my head. I definitely thought by the end that it was one of the best games I'd ever played, without question.

Perfect experience though? I honestly don't know. I could name you a few dozen gamesthat I could put into that list, but I honestly don't think they were perfect.

Clio
I'd go with Sensible world of Soccer on the Amiga but then it had that flaw of being able to score the same way every time. 9.99/10

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a classic for me, along with Goldeneye. Good memories.

For the "perfect" game, Skyrim came SO close, IMO. The storyline and gameplay in The Last of Us was amazing too.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Very subjective.

I remember playing the original Wolfenstien 3D with a mate. We had printed out level maps on a Dot Matrix computer. It was awesome. I was 9.

Only games would be from my youth; GT3: A-spec, Vice City and BF2 (on the PC). I'd rate them all as 10/10 but almost certainly with rose tinted glasses. At that age, I was impressed by anything.

Now I'm older, wiser and ultimately more demanding from a game, I'd say I could pick a hole or flaw in any game, so as far as Xbox 360 titles go, I'd say not once have I played a 10/10 game.

Closest I've come is GTAV (which I didn't think would be as good as the hype), Fifa 13 and FM4. They're the three I'd say were the best "modern" games I've played.

Evo 5 RS
Thinking about it, one game I would possibly put into that category in terms of mechanic, scripted events and pace would be Portal 2.

On a personal level probably Deus Ex (The original).

Skoda Fabia vRS
Goldeneye, Fallout 3, and Skyrim come to mind

Mario 64 maybe

though i wouldnt say any are 10/10, but close

Golf R/Leon FR
For me Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 were as close to it as I can think. Fallout more for the value for money.

Also Metal Gear Solid 1 was very close for old generation games.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think a game will ever be perfect but some have come bloody close.
Farcry 3 was superb. Probably my favourite game on the ps3. I wish there were more online missions for it, although trying to get in to a particular level to get the trophies was a ballache at times.
Last of us was also brilliant but it certainly had flaws. Very immersive game though.
Battlefield 3 took a lot of my online hours, as did Killzone 2.
Gran Turismo 2 was also brilliant too, as was FF7.

There are a lots of brilliant games, just not a perfect one imo.

Can only echo MGS1, FF7, Goldeneye. Recent day games the only one that comes to mind is Skyrim, but I play much less now than I did as a child!

1.8 Civic EX
For me it'd have to be FFVII as well as Secret of Mana on the SNES. Both games were a genuine experience imo.

Games these days are just "something to do". I don't think I've been truly been awed by a game for awhile but thats potentially an age thing, along with how fast tech is moving these days. Before you've even finished what you currenlty have you are already aware of something that is better coming out in the not too distant future.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shenmue. Re-defined gaming.

Goldeneye.

Zelda Ocarina of time.

Mario 64.

Gta V. (Single player)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You can tell there's plenty of young uns' on here when there 'back in the day' games are ps2 and ps3's!

ST1050, 320d
As others have mentioned:

Zelda OoT
MarioKart 64
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
FF7
Age of Empires
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Dungeon Keeper
GoldenEye
Pokemon Blue/Red
Half Life 2

All of these are timeless classics and are still as enjoyable as when I first played them.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
MarioKart 64 and Goldeneye would never look out of place at a boys night.

Clio MK3
Battlefield 3 provided me with over 200+ hours online fun over 2 years, well worth the money I paid when it came out IMO! ;)

Ph 1 172
Metal gear solid on the original playstation.... On the hardest difficult setting its neigh on impossible to put a negative comment to it.

the original resident evil