ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A question about Running In

I got the Willy back today, but I was suppose to be going on the RR on Saturday. Ive just come home and its done just over 100 miles..

Im taking her up to see the GF at Uni tonight, and coming back tomorrow, thatll put over 300 miles on the clock, and then im gonna take her out tomorrow night to rack up at least another 200 miles. Then do an oil change Sat morning.

Question is...am I doing to many miles too soon??? Im not gonna be rassing her out or anything. I was just told to do at least 500 miles, before I open her up.

The thing is, I originally said yes to going on the RR on Sat and I dont wanna let anyone down, but i dont wanna f**k-up my engine.

Will this plan be ok to do and still be fine for the RR on Sat...or shall I just cancel going?

Ian

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I dont wnat to jump in and say yes or no, but I would expect it to lap up the miles without a worry.

I may be wrong though.

Si.

100 miles is already over the main period for the majority of ring break-in.

What you need to do now is (assuming its on mineral oil, but andy probably sorted this) drive through all rpm ranges with all throttle positions. THe rings wont seal against the bores if you pootle about on part throttle. Its the combustion pressure that pushes the rings against the bores, so the more load you put on, the better the seal. Id do some full load runs to about 75% rpm i third. Then just keep upping the rpm, but load is imperitive to bedding in an engine, babying it will see poor sealing for the engines life.

This is assuming its a full rebuild, or was yours just the cylinder head rebuild?

172, Tiguan

As Ben said, just vary the load on the engine over the 500 or so miles youll be doing and I think all will be fine and Dandy. If you were only doing a few miles then id be wary, but that should be fine

I assume its just one run well be having each on Saturday so i wouldnt worry to much, itll be quickly over with!

Ok cheers boys, two more questions...ill be doing the oil change tomorrow night, wots the best to go for Andy recommeded 10W 40 so thats wots in at the mo, Castrol or Mobil one???

Also does anybody know wot size the sump plug is by any chance - 12mm?

Thanks for your help.
Ian

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

standard 8mm sqaure socket Ian

as long as you cover the milage and dont buzz her then after the change you will be fine.

it was just top end build... new valves etc etc

Andy

GDI

Not a fan of mobil 1 motorsport, and castrols ok but not a major fan of that either......but both will be more than adequate.

Just pop into yer local Ren and pickup some semi synth Elf competition 10w40 or 15w50......still a ta nippy so 10w40 might be better.