ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Real Homemade Maxogen

PH1 172 Sport
Following on from the Espave V6 airbox and itg panel filter idea and bearing in mind the price of a maxogen kit for the 172 has anyone actually tried to replicate the kit just by using an itg maxogen JC60 airfilter as sold on merlin motorsports etc?

I may be wrong but those filters look identical to the ones that come with the maxogen so why not use one of them for around 50 notes and knock up an enclosure for it?

Or maybe the filter woud fit inside a espace v6 or PH1 airbox? If they didn't fit I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to make a simple housing for it.

I'm just throwing ideas out here as I haven't actually looked into it properly.

I know some people like the carbon airbox and silcone 90 degree bend that comes with it but I really couldn't care less about that! Just thought this would be a good way of saving money for the same noise and performance??

Having seen the amount of CFD that went into the AB series of airboxes then you're going to struggle to luck out and create the same setup with bits of pipe and old Renault airboxes.

However you'll probably get within 80% with a bit of an idea.

Cheers
M

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
D4ve has a Espace V6 Airbox with a ITG Filter in it,

I have a Mk2 Ph1 Airbox with ITG Filter and Samco bend on my car and it seems to work really well mixed with a decent CAF

PH1 172 Sport
D4ve has a Espace V6 Airbox with a ITG Filter in it,

I have a Mk2 Ph1 Airbox with ITG Filter and Samco bend on my car and it seems to work really well mixed with a decent CAF

Yeah ive got the Espace V6 airbox with the normal filter in it but I just wondered if anyone had tried the actual open type filter that you get the maxogen instead.

call me stupid but what makes the itg so good?

Nothing inparticular, although everyone on here seems to get excited about them. Stick to paper filters myself for numourous reasons.

edit: Sorry I presumed you were talking about the filtration media if you wernt then ignore me lol

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Sorry my bad... I didn't realise the Maxogen used a different filter

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
Yeah ive got the Espace V6 airbox with the normal filter in it but I just wondered if anyone had tried the actual open type filter that you get the maxogen instead.

i contemplated this idea, just waiting for my phase 1 airbox to be delivered so i can checkout dimensions and fittings etc

PH1 172 Sport
Having seen the amount of CFD that went into the AB series of airboxes then you're going to struggle to luck out and create the same setup with bits of pipe and old Renault airboxes.

However you'll probably get within 80% with a bit of an idea.

Cheers
M

True however surely the CFD they did was not engine specific?

As under bonnet conditions and inlet characteristics vary so greatly how can they be sure that the airbox is of an optimal design for so many engines? In which case surely you do have a chance of creating a box thats pretty damn close to the same performance with some simple know how.

Or are the airboxes engine specific?

BTW I know this whole argument is probably a total waste of time as the increases we are talking about here are going to be so minimal anyway. However I'm just in a 'thinking out of the box' mood!

VaVa
There was a guy that had this on his Clio, but he had re-sited his battery to the boot and did away with the 90 degree elbow.

RB 182 Cup
Nothing inparticular, although everyone on here seems to get excited about them. Stick to paper filters myself for numourous reasons.

edit: Sorry I presumed you were talking about the filtration media if you wernt then ignore me lol

thats what i thought, got the impression from reading peoples reviews on here they added a trillion hp

VaVa
Not at all. But I doubt there's anything better on the market. In fact having tried most of the competition I'm pretty sure there isn't.

But you have to be pretty serious into modding your car to pay £300+ for one all the same.

You aren't going to get any major increase in power from changing the airbox. You can lose quite a lot of power if you stick something shite on the end of the throttle body.

The point with the ITG AB series of airboxes is that they are properly developed bits of kit that have had a couple of very clever chaps working on them. You'll quite often see AB80's on WTCC cars and the AB65 was spec for the Seat Super Copa cars.

They aren't car specific but don't need to be - in simple terms for a start they are pre throttle body and for the most part OEM's have to package compromise induction/filtration systems - i.e achieve the optimal result for space available.

Do you need one no, is it worth chucking any old thing on - no. If you want to fiddle about with the induction/filtration setup then the ITG AB65 (which is the airbox included in the maxogen kit) is about as good as you'll get.

Cheers
M

^why did the 172/182 cup racers run espace V6 airboxes then princess?? ;)

Have you seen the budgets for them! That's why ;) Same reason the X85 and Meg T's run the V6 airbox - it was on the shelf, big enough and cheap enough!

Look at the SuperCopas which were getting on for no budget jobs at the time!

I don't get anything from ITG at all (maybe I should?) but I know the chaps down there reasonably well and they don't half know their onions. You can't do much better TBH!

Cheers
M