ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A year in the life...

Have owned my car for just over a year now so thought i would start a project thread showing her progress!

Joined this forum (luckily, has been a life saver) whilst looking for a 172. Shortly afterwards i had a PM regarding a car for sale on here which was higher mileage than i had been looking at, however it had a good history and a few choice mods so shortly afterwards i was on the train with 7 hours to waste as this car was over 250 miles away!

The day i picked her up

5db030d5.jpg

Came with recaro's from an evo, brembos and H&R's so i was a very happy chappy and well worth the journey!

Unfortunately a few months into ownership the gearbox started to develop a horrible whine which through searching and posting on here, i was told my gearbox bearing was on its way out. Damn!

However, me being the idiot that i am, i decided to leave the gearbox for a while and instead planned a 1,000+ mile road trip around europe, ending up at the Nurburgring!
Rain when we arrived, great!
IMG_2726.jpg

Luckily my car stood strong and was faultless throughout the journey, with the only problem being my windscreen wiper flying off randomly on the motorway!

a29442c2.jpg

Honestly never had so much fun ever before, the ring was the first time i had ever taken my car onto a track so the first lap was quite scary but the few afterwards just got more enjoyable. Hope to return this year again with a bit more track experience under my belt! and a bloody crash helmet!

IMG_2719.jpg

How we communicated

09efa5f6.jpg

Obligatory sticker

Once i was back home i could ignore my poorly gearbox no longer, and again this forum came to my rescue again! Mike off here saved me loads of money by offering to remove and refit the gearbox, and helped send it off to agency for a refurb. Local stealership had quoted me just shy of £2000 to do it, i paid about £550 incl a new clutch....Not bad!

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

Mike really did me a huge favour so if your reading this mate, thanks a million!

So that was how i left it for a while, just enjoying my car! Had to change the exhaust at the prospeed system was effed, took it back to charlie at prospeed and had a new system fabricated.

Nothing changed until recently when the modding bug reared its ugly head and decided that i had far too much money and it needed spending.... cue a couple (or possibly more) PM's to Matt@TDF.

Matt had my car for just over a week, he worked tirelessly to get my car in perfect working order! There was "questionable" wiring though out the loom and matt took it upon himself to get my car in as best condition as possible. He also noticed the brembos hadn't been fitted correctly and were wearing the inside of the discs more than the outer by quite a margin so he ordered the parts needed to sort it out FOC. What a guy! The service there was faultless and recommend anyone to go there, i won't go anywhere else now and its 140 miles away from my house!

6f00d9bd.jpg

aec2585d.jpg

Thats how she is looking at the moment, however have a few more plans regarding the aesthetics but no concrete plans yet.

Have just booked my first uk track day at brands on the 3rd of april and am looking forward to doing a lot more in the near future!

I have probably missed a lot but thats all i can think of off the top of my head!

Matt did the ITB's and a few other niggles which needed fixing but engine wise it was only itb's! Will be getting some tasty cams when the belt is due but for now its staying the same!

Although i am taking it back to matt so he can fit some ARP rods and also my whiteline rear arb which i have sitting in my room!

340i
Matt did the ITB's and a few other niggles which needed fixing but engine wise it was only itb's! Will be getting some tasty cams when the belt is due but for now its staying the same!

Although i am taking it back to matt so he can fit some ARP rods and also my whiteline rear arb which i have sitting in my room!

It should be a well sorted car after the work :)

Little update:

Have sold the Brembos and replaced with standard callipers and performance friction 97's which are EPIC! This was due to wanting more track time and 15's being very cheap tyres! So have now bought a spare set of Oz F1's which will probably see R1R's or 595RSR's as dedicated track wheel and keeping the turinis for day to day!

Am also in the process of spacing it out by 30mm(15 per side) and toying with buying the sabelt RS wheel. Bloody tempted!
have fitted my white line arb which is incredible but the bottom of the suspension mount sticks down too low so the arb sits quite low below that so getting Matt@TDF to sort that and a couple of bits and fit arp rods next week!

Also booking up a few track days soon, so will probably try to hit brands hatch a few times over the next few months! Can't wait, did a novice evening there last month which was just amazing. The car gripped and gripped and then gripped a bit more! Such an amazing feeling trashing it on the track, I am officially hooked!

Undecided on whether to do one more novice day, or join the big boys in the open sessions? This will only be my second track day ( excluding the 'ring) so unsure what to do!

I am still loving the ITB's, anyone considering them should definitely go for them! Matt knows everything imaginable about these cars and is such a nice guy! His car is basically a donor car for mine when I need bits quick! And the noise....I still drive around with my windows down just to hear the growl! Very usable day to day as well. My car is about to turn 100k so there's no excuse not to have them in your life!

If you have done the Ring and a few track days and know you have good track etiquette then get on a Open pit lane event.

BTW good project.

Interesting about the ARBs being to low...what is the solution as I have just ordered a set.

@namakubi - well on my rear suspension there is a bolt which sticks down which blocks the r-arb from sitting flush so it has to sit down a fair bit to fit on! Not sure how it'll get fixed yet but will update here when it is!

The mileage is 99,500 at the moment, so not long until the magical 100k mark! ITB's are epic! Best mod I've done by far

I had lots of little bits done along with the ITB's so the bill was about £3000 but Matt had managed to sort me a very good deal on the ITBs as he knew of someone selling a second hand (but still new) set of ITBs which he got for me for a good price. Not cheap but as Im not going to sell this car it's a worthy investment, they guarantee smiles everytime I drive my car so that's all that I care about!

I was hoping someone could help me with regards to my track set of wheels... I'll be buying some track rubber (probably RSR's or R1R's but not sure yet) but will the tyres need wearing in before seeing the track? I'm a complete novice do trying to stop myself from making too many rookie mistakes!

Cheers for all the positive comments!

My car is currently abandoned by my friends house as it is refusing to start :( Cant really complain, its the first time the car hasn't started and it's been put through quite a lot!

Matt has said it's probably the TDC sensor so will be replacing that Monday (if i can source the part then) if not then wednesday. Really hope it is otherwise i will have to persuade my breakdown company to recovery my car to TDF which is about 110 miles away.... damn!

Also looking at changing my engine mounts to some Ktec solid mounts as my engine rocks a fair bit and don't care if there any 'excess' vibration in the cabin.

I do bloody miss my car already though, hope its going to be a quick fix!

Also got a new lower grille to replace mine as it was damaged and also removed fog lights and bought some new arch liners which i will feel a cold air duct into to cool the brakes!

Coolant leak which got in a few places it shouldn't have! Oh well, got it recovered to TDF for free which saved me driving it up there for the ARP bolts and other bits anyway so will be collecting it after my holiday!

Quite fancy some solid engine mounts whilst its up there but I'm spending money i don't have yet!! Such a money put...but i do bloody love it!

They were brembo juniors off a Cupra r but have been replaced with standard callipers and PF97 pads which are epic! I now have a track set of 15's which wouldn't fit with the brembos so they had to go