ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

About to take the plunge

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I had a Peugeot 205GTI for 10 years, but life etc got in the way and I had to sell up. I’ve been missing something cheeky and French for a few years now.

going today to look at a silver, 123k mile Clio 182, with cup suspension pack, that needs a little work for an mot for 2k

looks straight, has good history and the seller seems ok. I have read all the buyers guides, but, given I won’t be able to drive it any distance, would you risk it?
it’s had belts and dephaser done, with receipts for parts but not labour (mates rates at a local mechanic) what’s the general opinion on that?
I’m handy with spanner’s and don’t mind a bit of work, and prices for nice ones are out of my current budget. I think I’m looking to be talked into it…

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Have a look and see what it's like.
What work does it need for the mot?.
Check for rust on the rear quarters and petrol flap.
Bekts done by a mate. Unless he's done a few before I'd probably get it dyno'd.

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Have a look and see what it's like.
What work does it need for the mot?.
Check for rust on the rear quarters and petrol flap.
Bekts done by a mate. Unless he's done a few before I'd probably get it dyno'd.
It passed its last one with pretty much no advisories, but it has been sat for about 18 months. The owners says discs and pads all round only but I will see

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Still waiting for the seller to turn up. Car needs front bumper painted. Very minor bubbling inside the filler flap but looks surface, and one jacking point is a bit mangled but doesn’t look to have rusted. bodywork is straight otherwise. I think it’s had a little paint on a rear arch at some point. pretty sure it has aftermarket shocks (should they be orange?)
Interior looks good if minging, 😢

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Oe shocks are black. Black is always better 😉😂. If it's not rusty anywhere else and has had paint on the arch I'd be worried it had been crashed in the past. Have you done a hpi on it?

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Oe shocks are black. Black is always better 😉😂. If it's not rusty anywhere else and has had paint on the arch I'd be worried it had been crashed in the past. Have you done a hpi on it?
Good point. Will check.

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So, I have been to view it and would really appreciate some opinions, I'm used to French hot hatches but this will be my first Renault:

It IS HPI clear but has had more registrations than I've had hot dinners. Does anyone recognise: P11HEP, DO04FER, R200CMG or LJ04FUA??

Good points:
Body is straight, very little rust I can find anywhere
Just had belts, dephaser and water pump (Genuine Renault all round)
Interior is pretty good
Its not been messed with much
Complete service history and a pretty good MOT history
Starts on the button and seems to run / drive ok, but have not driven it any speed or distance

Bad points:
Has had paint on the passenger rear arch and the jacking point is a little frayed (not rusty, but pushed apart) on that corner, but the paint is not recent and is a very good match. No masking lines I can find, just some overspray in that arch and the lip feels like it has been rolled, which the offside does not.
Wheels need a refurb,
Tyres are cheap Chinese rubbish (good tread tho)
Milltek Exhaust, cat back, but pretty beaten up centre box and it's LOUD in a chav/boy racer way that surprised me
Aftermarket rear shocks which look pretty crusty
surface rust in the filler flap
A/C not cold
Stereo is completely dead
Needs rear discs
needs wiper blades all round
filthy inside and out because it's been standing for about 2 years

What sort of prospect does that sound to you? I reckon I can get it for a bit under £2k as is, and I'm thinking I could get it MOT'd for another sub £500 and then do the rest as I feel the need over time. The n/s rear quarter is the only real worry I have about it TBH

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I
So, I have been to view it and would really appreciate some opinions, I'm used to French hot hatches but this will be my first Renault:

It IS HPI clear but has had more registrations than I've had hot dinners. Does anyone recognise: P11HEP, DO04FER, R200CMG or LJ04FUA??

Good points:
Body is straight, very little rust I can find anywhere
Just had belts, dephaser and water pump (Genuine Renault all round)
Interior is pretty good
Its not been messed with much
Complete service history and a pretty good MOT history
Starts on the button and seems to run / drive ok, but have not driven it any speed or distance

Bad points:
Has had paint on the passenger rear arch and the jacking point is a little frayed (not rusty, but pushed apart) on that corner, but the paint is not recent and is a very good match. No masking lines I can find, just some overspray in that arch and the lip feels like it has been rolled, which the offside does not.
Wheels need a refurb,
Tyres are cheap Chinese rubbish (good tread tho)
Milltek Exhaust, cat back, but pretty beaten up centre box and it's LOUD in a chav/boy racer way that surprised me
Aftermarket rear shocks which look pretty crusty
surface rust in the filler flap
A/C not cold
Stereo is completely dead
Needs rear discs
needs wiper blades all round
filthy inside and out because it's been standing for about 2 years

What sort of prospect does that sound to you? I reckon I can get it for a bit under £2k as is, and I'm thinking I could get it MOT'd for another sub £500 and then do the rest as I feel the need over time. The n/s rear quarter is the only real worry I have about it TBH

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.
seems like a decent buy to me. It’s 18 years old after all. Does it still have the original CAT in place? Most of the rust of clios you can’t see from the top sides. The fuel flap is repairable, but will be much worse inside the rear arch. Again all easy to sort if it isn’t too far gone. Exhaust may be blowing. Joint between the CAT and manifold is dog s**t in my opinion. Or It could just be an obnoxious unresonated system. Either way, finding one for sub £2k is a rare thing nowadays, even in Silver. So can’t see you losing anything.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Cheap for a 182 these days so I'd say your money is safe and if your handy enough all east stuff to fix, improve and add to the value.

My priority would be the fuel cap and have that taken care of before it gets worse. Also get the rear door cards off and see how it is behind them and address if needed

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks David & Martin!

beware if I buy it, there will be many more questions to come…😂

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Silver Clio 182. Dropped off yesterday. It is a big improvement to have something sporty and French on the drive!
B835845B-8AF9-468D-868A-0B73A727B315.jpeg