ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

abs and esp lights coming on ?

CLIO 172
When i first start up the abs and esp warning lights are not on and then after a couple of minutes or so they come on ? presumably because i am using the brakes.
They have done this for a day or two so i had an abs ring fitted as i found one was cracked but its still the same. Turn the ignition off and back on and the lights are not on. drive a minute or two and back on they come :(
Thanks

Oh i have had a code reader on it and it says no faults either on dlt or i/m

Honda ATR
have you had the steering wheel off? sometimes the steering wheel position sensor can cause problems if its not in the correct position.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Homer, is this "Code Reader" of your a generic ODBII Reader by any chance or is it a decent bit of kit? "DLT" and "I/M"?

I'm gonna guess its a generic ching-chong code reader from eBay (Or similar). These do not have the ability to access ABS/SRS/TCS/ESP/UCH, etc and most of the systems on the car other than the generic open modes that ODBII protocols require for engine management. You need to see the ABS systems live data to see line resistance values which indicate each wheel is detecting and reporting rotation first of all then go deeper into the system to see what things like the SAS and brake pedal switches are doing. It could even be something ghey like a connector issue under the car but until its plugged in and had the ABS system properly diagnosed you're gonna be left guessing and scratching your head I'm afraid yoof.

Mick

CLIO 172
Thanks for that mate. Will look into it.
The diagnostic machine was a 'SUN' at a garage so assumed it was the business but who knows eh ? I do have my own 480 type which displayed the fact there was no errors but as you say may not go deep enough. Technician says abs can't be tested any way :dapprove: but i don't know the ins and outs. I do know the rolling road technician awhile ago said go past the canal and throw the induction kit as far as you can into the water and put the standard box on. Actually went back and the standard box made 2bhp more:(
Goodbye 57i
Thanks again

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
ABS can be tested and diagnosed... its normally the older equipment isn't capable ;)

CLIO 172
ABS can be tested and diagnosed... its normally the older equipment isn't capable ;)

I see.

Looks like problem solved actually as i contacted Renault and the guy said its more than likely the pentiometer on the throttle pedal so i borrowed my mates pedal assembly and covered 25 mile and the warning lights didn't come on at all.
He had a spare one too which i bought for £10 off him and although the part number is 82 0008 9857 and not the originals 82 0008 9861 its worked spot on. Fingers crossed :)