ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS fuse/ABS kicking in all the time

Clio 172 Phase II
Hi folks

Here is the background.
I had a CV joint go and had to have my car towed to the nearest garage…I sourced a replacement CV joint remotely and had it delivered to the garage, but the ABS ring was ‘wrong ‘ on it, causing the ABS to kick in all the time when the brakes were applied. This is what the mechanic told me. He said the only way to be able to drive the car was to disconnect the ABS, although I am not sure how he did this. Now, under what circumstances would this happen? Will getting a ‘proper‘ CV joint sure this problem? In addition, where is the ABS fuse? I guess he could have just removed it to disconnect the ABS….

Ta
Dom

182cup & 172 racecar
They/you can change the abs ring. They should have done this in the first place if it was wrong. It needs to be 44 teeth on the ring.

And as for removing the abs fuse!!, what king of garage are they ffs. You are now driving with 50-50 braking, and that is dangerous.

Take it back and get them to change the ring over and put the fuse back in, before you kill yourself.

​They are probably pissed as you sourced the part yourself, and it was wrong. But the should have counted the teeth before fitting.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
They/you can change the abs ring. They should have done this in the first place if it was wrong. It needs to be 44 teeth on the ring.

And as for removing the abs fuse!!, what king of garage are they ffs. You are now driving with 50-50 braking, and that is dangerous.

Take it back and get them to change the ring over and put the fuse back in, before you kill yourself.

​They are probably pissed as you sourced the part yourself, and it was wrong. But the should have counted the teeth before fitting.

50/50 braking? Having No ABS just means you can lock your wheels of you brake too hard. Its only dangerous if you drive like a twonk. It would also fail an MOT and needs to be sorted, but with the knowledge the ABS is disable its definately not dangerous.

182cup & 172 racecar
50/50 braking? Having No ABS just means you can lock your wheels of you brake too hard. Its only dangerous if you drive like a twonk. It would also fail an MOT and needs to be sorted, but with the knowledge the ABS is disable its definately not dangerous.

Have you driven a Clio with the ABS fuse taken out?

​I have, and it's dangerous.

Clio 172 Phase II
I haven't noticed much difference in braking to be honest but then I only go hooning around infrequently. The ABS has been out of action since December. I am only needing it done for the MOT.

Clio 182 FF
ABS is what makes the front/rear balance work on these. If you remove the ABS fuse, you'll suddenly have way too much rear bias.

182cup & 172 racecar
Under normal steady braking, you would hardly notice. But in an emergency stop or similar, it would be very nasty indeed, the back just locks up.

Clio 172 Phase II
I guess i should get it fixed now anyway before Sod's law kicks in..... ;) It's in the garage having its MOT done as we speak. Let's see what other nasty surprises crop up.