ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Pulsing - Replacing ABS ring

Clio 182
Hi, I've been having some problems with my ABS warning light coming on. I am also getting a pulsing from the ABS at slow speed which seems to sometimes trigger the lights to come on.

I thought it was a sensor problem but today I stripped the brakes down and found a lot of corrosion to the hub area. I'm thinking the ABS ring are so badly worn the sensor is not working correctly.

How hard is it to get the ABS ring off and a new one on? I'm happy to try most jobs but had the camber all setup perfectly with my Bilstein cool overs and am thinking I'd need to get alignment done again.

Is it an easy job or given the level of corrosion get a pro to do it?

OEM parts or will pattern parts do?

Thanks !

renault clio 1.4 16v
Can smack them off with a hammer and a screwdriver gently, putting them back on needs more care though, id advise heating the ring up and doing a shrink fit. Before you do all that, have u tried cleaning the rings and sensors up? its a magnetic sensor so it will pick up filings and dust over time, the rings dont really wear so unless they have been damaged and are miss aligned or have cracks in them, the sensor should still work... also, ive noticed that when my brake pads are very low the abs gives a pulse at low speeds somethimes, so if your brake pads are low, replace them and see if that works... obviously check the brake fluid level if you change anything, no harm in replacing the brake fluid if its old as well

Clio 182
Thanks - the pads are fine. One sensor had iron filings on the top which I cleared off but I could not get access to the bottom as the screw rounded off :(

The rings were really looking very bad but I didn't remove the disk to inspect further.

I'm hoping a cleanup and new rings will fix it as the sensor looks tricky to remove now.

I really don't want to have to get alignment done again but it sounds like that won't be a problem.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The rings only cost about a tenner. I got mine from a company based in Trowbridge. You need to remove the hub but it's quite easy to fit them. It sorted out the same problem for me. I've never got an ABS sensor out, always had to drill them to bits and fit new ones.

Clio 182
The rings only cost about a tenner. I got mine from a company based in Trowbridge. You need to remove the hub but it's quite easy to fit them. It sorted out the same problem for me. I've never got an ABS sensor out, always had to drill them to bits and fit new ones.

Thanks - I ordered two from GSF and they arrived yesterday. Different amount of teeth on both [emoji45]

How annoying!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
That's rubbish of them. You need the ones with 46 teeth from memory, some have 20 something (26?) and will cause sensor issues. I'm lucky, I live close to Trowbridge so I went to the guys house and collected them myself.