ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS SERV and ESP light.

BMW M135i
Adjust the pedal switch so the lights come on as soon as you touch the pedal and it will stop it.

Trophy #267
^ issue is ecu see's brake fluid pressure but dont see pedal activity (as pedal swicth isnt activated yet) so thinks there is aproblem and deactivated abs + possibly esp.
often occurs after disc / pad replacement.
I found out hard way :s

clio sport 172
check there wires under the pass ger seat are all hoe i had this for ages then solved it , can be break swithch and wire's lose in plug under seats

M

mini-valver

It's not the airbag plug. The airbag light would be on if it was. The brake pedal is moving without the switch being pressed so the ECU is confused and logs a fault in the braking system. The ESP and ABS lights flash up with the serv light, serv light just being a fault light within any system which flashes up too. It's not a service indicator.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yep, it's usually the brake pedal switch. Mike fixed exactly the same fault on my 172 when he worked at Linningtons.

BMW F21 125d
You can buy the pedal sensor from Renault for £12 or £13, its a 2 min job to change. Dont let Renault do it or they'll charge you labour. Theres a "how to" in the guides section.

Bumder With A Buffer
The search function works!! :) I had this come on literally just now! BUT it only comes on when I connect RSTuner software up to it... not that it bothers me but at least i know what to check now :)

172 ph2
Hey, I had the same prob recently, was brake pedal switch, i then replaced it and the lights still came on turns out that the cv gaitor clips had come off and there was grease every where and had covered the splines on the abs sensor which the abs system in turn would work properly, mite be worth checking!

Renault Clio 172 sport
I have same problem with 172 ph1, the abs light is always on, ive been told i need new abs sensor, bloody costs alot! :(

Mk2 Golf
Hey, I had the same prob recently, was brake pedal switch, i then replaced it and the lights still came on turns out that the cv gaitor clips had come off and there was grease every where and had covered the splines on the abs sensor which the abs system in turn would work properly, mite be worth checking!

my CV boots came off recently and ive had this problem since about that time, and my wheels were absolutly covered in grease, im gonna try and clean all the sensors and see if it helps. if not ill try the switch.

FF 182 BEAN
i have this same problem, serv light, abs and traction control lights on, had diagnostics done on it and has told me that the rear right abs sensor has something wrong with it so going to have it replaced and see if it works.

E

escotty90

I have had this problem too, well annoying!!!!

I found that if the ABS SERV and EPS light are on together it means its a faulty ABS sensor which are located on your wheel hubs... only annoying thing is finding which one it is thats playing up.
If the lights are coming on and goin off randomly then i wud sudjest going round the car and cheecking all of the sensors/ clean them all and make sure that there is nothing getting in the way of them making a reading.
If any of them are bust then they cost about £55 from renault and are dead easy to fit so dont let them fit it as they will have your pants down.

If just the SERV and EPS light are on, or if they keep coming on and off then this is the brake peddle sensor or it could also be your brake flued level.
I had this problem also and to cure it i took the sensor out cleaned it put a ("little") WD40 on it and then toped my brake flued up and that seems to of fixed it. Not had any more lights flash up since.... not yet neway sooo fingers crossed that has sorted it. Again if the sensor is bust and the problem wont go away then as the dude said above they cost around £12 ish from renault and take 2min to fit.

FF 182 BEAN
yeah was very true, i got hold of a second hand rear right abs sensor as thats what the diagnostics said was the problem. came in the hub as imposible to remove so just swapped the hubs over. when i took the wheel and disk off it was immediatly obvious what was wrong, it looked like a stone had become trapped between the sensor and the abs ring and bent the sensor. got the sensor on and the abs light dosnt come on any more. the traction and serv light still come on tho which i think would be because i had a fiddle with the brake sensor lol. will av a look at it in the morn.

E

escotty90

Sweet M8

Once i changed my ABS sensor the ABS SERV & EPS light went off instantly on there own. As for the SERV & EPS light issue they were coming on and switching them selfs off reandomly :S thats why i thought there cant be a serours falt. If there was then it would or should stay on all the time, this is also somthing Renault said too.
Because it was coming on so randomly it suggested that it must be a conection in or on the brake peddle sensor or that the brake fluid was a little low.
The other thing that I did to fix this that i think i failed to menntion above is that my rear brake pads where a little low, so i changed them too as well as cleaning the sensor and topping up the brake fluid.

Hope this helps ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Check your CV boots
- I had a tiny nick in one and it randomly threw grease around the sensor putting the lights on.

New outer o/s boot sorted it - lights never came back :)

Only a possibility though, could be other things

This has happened today on my wifes 182.

CV boot was changed a while ago as it had split. Just checked and they are fine.
Also pads and discs were changed earlier this year, again this was a while ago but i'll check the fluid level!

Can anyone point me to the "how too" guide so i can look at this brake switch.

Thanks

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Is it staying on?
I get this quite a lot after braking when its wet. Ignition off then restart and it goes:cool:

Happened for the first time today, i'll see tomorrow.

Was going to disconnect the battery for 30 mins but seeing as this thread appears to point to the problem i didn't bother.

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
mine was brake light switch=only came on on motorways tho. i stripped it cleaned terminals with terminal cleaner and re adjusted. all cushty!

clio 182 black /gold
Mine has just come on when i jacked my car and started the engine. My CV boot had come off and there was grease over my ABS ring etc. I cleaned most of it off.

aero
seems like im not the only one with this problem my serv & tc light are on, only comes on after a few minutes of driving & then stays on, hooked the car up today & no fault codes in the system cars running sweet as a nut

mines been on sinse yesterday morning, afaik i aint broke nuffin lately lmao only thing ive done to the car over past week was to fit my momo steering wheel

think the bulb for the serv & tc light needs to meet Dr hammer ;)

so if im getting no codes how do i get my lights to go out? if the computer dont tell me whats wrong i dunno what to fix/bash with a hammer, i hate modern cars sometimes

Last edited:
  Renault clio 197 cup
^ issue is ecu see's brake fluid pressure but dont see pedal activity (as pedal swicth isnt activated yet) so thinks there is aproblem and deactivated abs + possibly esp.
often occurs after disc / pad replacement.
I found out hard way :s
ive got this problem on my 197 cup how did u fix it ?

Clio 182
Just from previous experience and a ex- Renault tech looking at the same fault, he replaced the brake light switch no better but noticed the tracking out quite a bit got it adjusted and seems fine now I think he was on about a yaw sensor or something like that