ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS & Serv Light Have Come On

Clio 1.2 Billabong 53
Hi.

I was driving home from work the other day and the ABS & Serv lights have both come on. Just wondered if anyone had any idea how much it is going to cost to get fixed?

I have a 1.2 Renault Clio Billabong.

Thanks

Clio 1.2 Billabong
This is very spooky, but I also drive a 1.2 2003 Billabong and exactly the same thing happened to me today.

I have noticed an intermittent rubbing sound on my front nearside wheel for a few weeks, which seems to happen when I drive over a speed bump, but goes away about a second later.

Today I noticed that the rubbing sound returned, but this time it seemed to coincide with the ABS and SERV lights coming on. Strangely they go out when I restart the engine, but the next time I break, the ABS kicks in straight away - even if I only break lightly - and then the ABS shuts down and the lights come back on.

I've read a couple of posts on a site called Renault Forums, that seem to link my problem to a loose jubilee clip on the CV boot.

Word on the web is that some Renault dealers try and charge you £300 for a new drive shaft because they claim that the ABS sensors can't be replaced separately, but then most Renault Dealers talk more cr*p than a turd salesman

BMW M135i
Pea you've definetly got a sensor fault there, either the sensor is shagged (unlikely) or as you say the ABS ring has broken and come away from the driveshaft. You can get them seperately and aren't that expensive iirc.

Benson need some more details, does it go off and come on when braking the same as Pea's problem?

Clio 1.2 Billabong 53
Yes it is near enough the sames as Pea's problem. The lights are off when i first set off but then they both come on the first time i brake and then stay on for the rest of the journey - until i take the key out.

Where do you think would be the best place to go to get this fixed?

Thanks

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Update on my ABS problem:

The retaining clip on the off-side CV boot had come away and was sitting over the ABS ring. It has spread grease all over the sensor, hub inside of the wheel etc. I'm going to give it a good clean and try and re-pack the grease and fit a new retaining clip.

It seems, from chatting to other people with Billabongs, that this is a common problem. The clips Renault use aren't very good.

Btw. the 'rubbing' sound wasn't on the nearside wheel - it was the ABS pump kicking in, which is located behind the front nearside wheel arch.

Last edited: