ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accelerator issues. Sticking and pedel has just gone really light.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Mines the PH1 cable accelerator. Strange thing is, since i've had it it's sometimes not fully retracted off the throttle and stuck at around 2k revs. i'd have to blip the throttle to get the cable to fully retract. Thought at first it was the cable (still could be) but today I went out for a drive and all of a sudden the pedel has gone effortless. you can put it to the floor with ease. I had a play with the cable and it slides through the sleeve fine. I'm thinking maybe the cog/spring on the throttle body is on its way out or something? Also, I can lift the accelerator pedel up almost verticle? Not sure if this is usual?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

PH1 172 Sport
It'll be the cable. If its not a new one then replace it. If it is a new one give it a good grease and reroute it so it follows the largest arcs possible.

Also make sure the TB return spring is well greased and the TB itself is clean as they can get quite gunked up because of the oil breather.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
I've pulled the cable through the sleeve from both sides and it comes through fine. I'm going to replace it though this weekend to be sure, but might check the return spring like you say as I have a feeling it might be that. Is it common for the return spring to distort/stretch over time and need to be replaced?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'm going to take my TB off. Clean and possibly re spring it. Getting a new cable too.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Any idea what the part number is for the spring mate? Might pick one up on the way home from work

PH1 172 Sport
I'm not sure if you can get just the spring. If you can let me know as I think mine needs doing.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'll just take the original to a hard ware place. They'll find a matching one.

PH1 172 Sport
Blimey theyve gone up in price I only paid £12 all in late last year. Let me know if you have any luck finding a spring.

Megane
Renault did do a recall on the accelerator cable on early Mk2 Clios, as my last one had it done.
If the car is an early 172 it might qualify, so a replacement shouldn't cost you anything.
Its worth getting it checked at a dealer.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
I'll mention that tomorow then. Rang them earlier and they said they don't do phone orders so i've got to go in to order a b*****d cable then go back and collect it a few days later. Crazy. Even Peugeot take phone orders. Will also mention about the spring tomorow too and report back.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'll mention that tomorow then. Rang them earlier and they said they don't do phone orders so i've got to go in to order a b*****d cable then go back and collect it a few days later. Crazy. Even Peugeot take phone orders. Will also mention about the spring tomorow too and report back.

FFS! Useless bunch of c***s. How the hell do they run a parts department without taking phone orders?!

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Christ knows. What was even funnier, when I rang up to order the cable or to check it was in stock and had the part number handy, he said he'd prefer to sit and go through all my car details (chassis number, year, model, reg) then at the end i asked him what the part number was and voila.. the same part number I had sat in my hand that I tried to give in the first place. (this is the dealer on sutton park in Tamworth)

This is why I hate dealers.

PH1 172 Sport
When I went to get my cable I wrote the VIN and the part number down for when I went in there and the guy still went out to the car to check. That was the dealer in Cirencester and they went bankrupt!

The dealer in Southampton was even funnier. I took the part number in to get some new PH1 centre caps but because I didn't have the VIN number with me he didn't know how to check the part number so I had to guide him through it over the counter. How f**king useless can you get.