ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acer laptop brand new but slow?!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
As you can guess I'm no computer expert, buying one off currys!

But I had a go in the shop then bought an acer aspire v3 112p laptop and assumed that a 2.16 Intel quad core processor would be ok??

Playing with it tonight and the lag is shocking. Turned off all start up programs and it's still gash!!

Isn't that an ok speed? I only want it for browsing and email and writing cv etc.

Can someone check the spec and tell me how s**t it is on a scale of 1-10 for what I need it for?

I've got a works dell too and that's dual core 2.6ghz and it's a million times better.

Takin it back tomorrow I'm well cheesed!
It's so laggy, even just going into the settings and stuff!!

Ta

Trophy #387
Should be absolutely fine for that purpose.

Without meaning to sound like some crazy man, anti-virus software is renowned for slowing up computers. Look up how to remove it, and just be sensible about what you're downloading and you shouldn't get any viruses anyway.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
McAfee? Yeah good pt I'll try that before I storm over to currys in the morning!

Best computer I had was the 125 quid one I got off phuzion!!

Must be something interfering with it. What's the processor? (Go to computer, right click, properties).

Then paste it into cpubenchmark.net for an idea of its rating.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah I used mse before. I've turned off the McAfee auto updates and it seems better now. Also it didn't work as well with the charger plugged in?!
And now I can't even open my cv I was going to write as I have to buy office 365?! Any free alternatives to ms office?

I'll try that benchmark test too, ta.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
This is why I've completely ditched my laptop unless I absolutely have to use it...

People get paid to make these things and then I have to spend ages educating myself to make it all work in harmony... It's why I hate android phones but before I get the apple lover, I also hate iTunes and no one on earth knows how that works..

Give it back and tell them if it doesn't open a web page faster than a mobile phone, they can keep it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Absa bloody exactly! Ha, I rang up the helpdesk thing tonight and said how is my Xperia z1 phone rapid and this laptop so awkward.
I just prefer the keyboard thing, not a fan of touchscreen and tablets (although I've bought a touchscreen laptop cos I'm a sucker for new gizmos but I have the option so it may sway me over time)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Right!

For some reason the computer is fine when off charge but when plugged in its really really laggy.

What's that all about?!

Plus when I use the mousepad and somethings on YouTube playing it goes all distorted.

Plus it's shut down a couple of times randomly.

Any ideas?

Going back to currys tomorrow either Way

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
For 250?! I'm a very light user I just want word processing, Internet, YouTube and videos.

Plus I refuse to buy apple, not a fan of the marketing hype

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
For 250?! I'm a very light user I just want word processing, Internet, YouTube and videos.

Plus I refuse to buy apple, not a fan of the marketing hype
In my experience of Acer's I've owned in the past, they're rubbish.
As mentioned above, remove anti virus. Download/crack/buy MalwareBytes.
In terms of it slowing down when plugged in, I've never heard of this but look in your power saving settings etc.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Any new PC, Laptop, etc - immediately format as soon as you get home. With a fresh OS copy.

Go into BIOS and turn off anything that looks like CPU scaling, C3/5/7 or power saving. Then in the OS set the power mode to performance.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Much obliged young sausage, but that might as well be written in Chinese!? I'm an accountant not an IT bod I'm afraid. :)

Any new PC, Laptop, etc - immediately format as soon as you get home. With a fresh OS copy.

Go into BIOS and turn off anything that looks like CPU scaling, C3/5/7 or power saving. Then in the OS set the power mode to performance.
Completely unnecessary for the OPs requirements.

Something is clearly wrong with it, take it back.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Don't buy an Acer. I know you said you aren't a computer guy, take it from one that is. DON'T buy an Acer.

Looks good on paper, it isn't.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Don't buy an Acer. I know you said you aren't a computer guy, take it from one that is. DON'T buy an Acer.

Looks good on paper, it isn't.
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know a lot of guys, 'computer guys' infact, that use Acers with no issues at all. Every laptop manufacturer make laptops with budget components (even Apple with their crappy new MacBook).

My advice to the OP, if you are going to swap it, go for something with a Core i* processor and 4GB+ ram.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ssd??
No I processor but 4gb ram

9c3a5aadf9f350d5610457b454c50a37.jpg

e5f613110d0f168068899e3f9774581f.jpg

Ah, it has a HDD instead of an SSD. If you want to see the biggest gain if you do return it, get one with an SSD, or add one in after (and put windows on it).

Makes night & day difference to speed :).

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If you're to get another one, try to stretch the budget to an i3 processor! Should see you well for your usage :)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You wont get an SSD for that price in Currys try and get something with an Intel I3 or AMD A6 should be do able for >£300.
If your taking it back tell them the problems but also add it randomly cuts out to a Blue screen with a sad face. Also expect a "discussion" on why you can't return it.

Acer, Hp, Packard Bell are basically the same company the laptops look different but underneath the the same parts.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah I heard their customer service is terrible.
Either way it's still covered by distance purchase agreement for 14 days and bought on credit card so they don't have much choice really. Only bought it Thursday afternoon.

I'll go and take a look this afternoon, ta all.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I know a lot of guys, 'computer guys' infact, that use Acers with no issues at all. Every laptop manufacturer make laptops with budget components (even Apple with their crappy new MacBook).

My advice to the OP, if you are going to swap it, go for something with a Core i* processor and 4GB+ ram.

I accept that it is a generalisation.

However, when I said I'm a computer guy, I meant I'm an IT Manager, so I see every brand of laptop and in high quantities. I didn't mean I fix my neighbours computer once in a blue moon.

More importantly, The CEO of Acer actually stated they make crap products if that helps. The quality of the components they use is shocking.

The OP could get a pretty decent Dell or similar for £300.. Even the Lenovo posted above would be better.

Just trying to impart my experience to avoid someone else wasting their hard earned money.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Returned and refunded no hassle. Even told me the computer I bought was gash, ha. Arndale currys super honest!

Ok 300 quid max, what do I get?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just dropped him a pm, otherwise it looks like that lenovo as I can pick it up tomorrow and not mess about with delivery slots. Cheers tho

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Much appreesh, I get swamped in the numbers. I'll take a look. Ta. Same with phones, there's always one with something a bit more and more and........and I go round in circles

That hp is sold out [emoji20]

Just look for I3, generally the laptop will be specced decent around that and you can always add more ram and a ssd if required at a later date. Processor cant be changed on laptops so look at the best Processor you can afford.

That statement about the Acer CEO is hardly true is it? Obviously when you say you have seen" every brand of laptop and in high quantities" Didn't see many Acer's did you? The acer laptop i had was cracking, could not fault it. Ran most games pretty well.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Will do - ta. Gonna check these all out at lunch today. Much appreesh.

Don't go worrying about an SSD, ffs. SSD is quicker, yes, but it's not worth swapping to an SSD for browsing the web.
Your problem is the processor. Its benchmark is only 1017.

My laptop's processor benchmark is 7830. Its only got a HDD (and 16gb RAM), and it's rapid at everything.
Doesn't matter how good your HDD/SDD is, if you've got a sub 3000 benchmarked processor (imo).

Any laptop you look at, grab the processor number, type it into this website: http://www.cpubenchmark.net

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah the currys guy basically looked at my comp and said of course it's slow the processor is super basic.

I'll check out that benchmark link then (guessing that's like a leaderboard of processors?)

Are Amd processors worth avoiding?

Yeah the currys guy basically looked at my comp and said of course it's slow the processor is super basic.

I'll check out that benchmark link then (guessing that's like a leaderboard of processors?)

Are Amd processors worth avoiding?
Nothing wrong with AMD.
That website - you're better searching for a processor you know, rather than browsing through the lists.
E.g. take the HP laptop @KDF linked to (processor 4210U), benchmarked at 3428.

It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's the biggest factor in my experience (and running the IT for a small company).