ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New System - Food for thought

Tesla MP3 2021
For the geeks out there I am tinkering with the idea of building a new Hi Spec machine. I was considering getting a Mac Book Pro for the fun of it but for the Money and the fact that I would hardly use it I thought why not use the money to build a new system minus a few bits from my current one.

I have been building my own systems for years now so I haven’t got any issues with that but thought I would have a look at what "pre built" systems there are on offer these days.

So I had a look over on overclockers and this little beauty caught my eye.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-164-OK&groupid=43&catid=1270&subcat=

Pricy I know but I have always fancied going Water-cooled and having it pre done seems a nice idea. The spec I think on this one is pretty darn good and I would only need to make a few alterations on the none essentials i.e no Blu Ray drive as I already have one.

There are a couple of things that I have a few issues with, for example its running on DDR2 memory and has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Quad Core processor which I know is the dogs dangles but is this technology going to be "left behind" shortly in favour of DDR3 and the Intel Core i7 processors so would it be best to go for a system with this on.

The GPU I know is one of the best on the market and I believe Mr Munson has just purchased one J

I would also need a new monitor, I have looked at these two as examples.

Acer G24

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-038-AC&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

or

Dell 2408WFP

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-024-DE&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

Being Water cooled isn’t that essential but as I say I have always fancied having a WC machine.

Would any of the geeks on here go down the route of buying a pre built machine like this or is it a waste of money and I should build it my self.

Please give me more examples / ideas of specs / systems etc so I can have a think at what to do.

Purpose for the system will be serious gaming and playing with HD content (authoring and playback)

Ta

DDR2 on the 'old' platforms is fine. However, if I was building a complete new machine I would be going i7/x58.

The Acer G24 is a fine choice. I was seconds away from ordering one myself but decided to go for extra size. I chose the Samsung T260 which is bigger and cheaper than the Acer. I was worried that I'd get used to 24" too quickly. IMO stay well clear of the 2408 Dell. I've read horror stories about the input lag. Worse even than the 2709.

Tesla MP3 2021
So you think running a Q9650 overclocked to 4GHz and DDR2 is going to last me a while or should I definitely looking at moving onto i7/x58 / DDR3 as this would be the "newer" platform. I don’t want to spend this kind of money and start to regret it 6months down the line.

Just looked at that Samsung - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-087-SA&tool=3 very nice :)

Yeah I have just read some reviews regarding the input lag on the Dells.

Roy, as a fellow builder would you ever consider buying a pre built machine or would you always buy separate and build. I may find out how much that spec is to buy separately and work out the difference.

Well. I have that processor and I can tell you it's stupid. Overclocking it to 4Ghz is so easy a chimp could do it. I run mine at 3.8Ghz because I can't keep it cool enough for long enough on my average air cooling.

The system you linked to will monster any game. However, without having totted up all the costs, I think you may be able to build an i7 rig for similar money which ceratinly won't be slower :)

I'll update you on the Samsung when I've set it up. Certainly makes the Acer G24 hard to justify considering it's smaller and costs more. Hopefully I have made the right choice there.

P.S. I would never buy a pre-build but that's my personal choice. I just like building them :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
for that coinage you could buy a mac pro (not a macbook pro) and that has got 2 quad processors making it have eight cores. and better operating system AND just basically a million times better machinefor the same price. thats a right con. water cooling is just a gimmic. mac pro all the way.

for that coinage you could buy a mac pro (not a macbook pro) and that has got 2 quad processors making it have eight cores. and better operating system AND just basically a million times better machinefor the same price. thats a right con. water cooling is just a gimmic. mac pro all the way.

Water is not a gimmick when you're running a quad core extreme at 4Ghz, dude. It's actually very sensible. Also he's already said it's going to be a hardcore games machine. There's no point having a Mac and running Vista, and there's even less point in having 8 cores, because no games that I know of will actually use them.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well. I have that processor and I can tell you it's stupid. Overclocking it to 4Ghz is so easy a chimp could do it. I run mine at 3.8Ghz because I can't keep it cool enough for long enough on my average air cooling.

The system you linked to will monster any game. However, without having totted up all the costs, I think you may be able to build an i7 rig for similar money which ceratinly won't be slower :)

I'll update you on the Samsung when I've set it up. Certainly makes the Acer G24 hard to justify considering it's smaller and costs more. Hopefully I have made the right choice there.

P.S. I would never buy a pre-build but that's my personal choice. I just like building them :)

Building systems I am 100% comfortable with but I am pretty much an overclocking virgin. It’s always something I wanted to get into but knowing my luck I would end up doing some serious damage to my hardware :)

I will have a look at the cost of buying the bits separately and work out which is the best way to go but I agree with you, I enjoy building systems. I might just give OC a ring tomorrow and have a chat about what systems they can but together for me.

Cheers on the Samsung front, will be good to know how it is once you have set it up :)

Tesla MP3 2021
Water is not a gimmick when you're running a quad core extreme at 4Ghz, dude. It's actually very sensible. Also he's already said it's going to be a hardcore games machine. There's no point having a Mac and running Vista, and there's even less point in having 8 cores, because no games that I know of will actually use them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also I don’t want to replace my PC with a Mac, the Mac Book idea was in addition to my existing PC.

Building systems I am 100% comfortable with but I am pretty much an overclocking virgin. It’s always something I wanted to get into but knowing my luck I would end up doing some serious damage to my hardware :)

I will have a look at the cost of buying the bits separately and work out which is the best way to go but I agree with you, I enjoy building systems. I might just give OC a ring tomorrow and have a chat about what systems they can but together for me.

Cheers on the Samsung front, will be good to know how it is once you have set it up :)

Nah you won't damage anything man. Worst case is a failed POST, some mobos now even auto-recover from a failed POST so it's all gravy. You just need to keep an eye on temps. It's the over volting side you need to be cautious of.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Fair enough macs are crap for playing games on.but for that id consider dual boot. best of both wolds! Mac pros are intel xeon chip and have more cores. fair enough he might not use hem all but why have four when you can have eight for the same price. The mac pros also dont need watercooling and they are more powerful machines... In my eyes a gimmick but like you say. depends what your using it for... i couldn't justify paying that much money for a custom built system when you can get better looking/performance proven ones off the shelf.

Yeah fair enough but, IMO there's not a chance in hell that any off the shelf mac is going to be able to match that system for games performance. Video work perhaps, but not games. Not a chance :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeah fair enough but, IMO there's not a chance in hell that any off the shelf mac is going to be able to match that system for games performance. Video work perhaps, but not games. Not a chance :)

Ah right. I dont know that much about gaming systems :eek: I'l let your geeky knowledge provail this time Munson :cool:

1 Series Coupe
If you like the first system, how much will it cost you to buy and build yourself?

Building is the best part!!

Tesla MP3 2021
I like the first system but I am having seconds thoughts about not using an i7 CPU and DDR3 RAM, this is where the times are present and spending 2k system to lag behind seems strange. I haven't priced it all up yet, I will do shortly.

Yeah I know building is the best part :)

A4 Avant
From what I've read the 920 shall get to 4.0ghz air cooled.

If it were me and I had your budget to spend it would be i7 all the way.

Last edited:
Yeah I have to agree. I would go i7 all the way for a spanking new build right now. Fast DDR3 is a lot cheaper these days, too. As good as the original rig will be in practical terms, I would not be buying a new QX9650 machine when the a lesser i7 will perform better.

Tesla MP3 2021
Right this is my ideal spec. Including the monitor and some nice speakers.

Picture1-4.jpg

Last edited:
  A4 Avant
If you look at most benchmarks even at std clock speeds the 920 is quicker than most. Even a modest overclock to 3.2 shall own pretty much anything else!

If your in a newsagents have a glance at the CPU guide in CustomPC magazine, that shows how good overclocked i7's are!

Tesla MP3 2021
If you look at most benchmarks even at std clock speeds the 920 is quicker than most. Even a modest overclock to 3.2 shall own pretty much anything else!

If your in a newsagents have a glance at the CPU guide in CustomPC magazine, that shows how good overclocked i7's are!

Sweet. I may have a look :)

C*nt. Now you've got me wanting to get a new mobo/cpu/RAM as well :eek:

EDIT: We'll have to have a bench-off with our rigs, dude.

A4 Avant
Pmsl Roy, only about 3 times more price wise (extreme 965) and overclocks about 100mhz higher on air!

Haha yeah bring it :evil:

Cool, man. I fully expect the i7 machine to beat mine. No pissing contest, just interesting. You may well make me spunk another few quid sooner than I thought ;) In all seriousness though - if every game you own is maxing out gravy at your res, that's all that matters.

A4 Avant
I didn't realise you'd stumped up for a QX9650 Roy. Somehow missed that.

Theres not that much between that and a core i7 in games at the moment, maybe 1-2 fps in crysis. I'd not be upgrading for a while.

He'll pawn you in any encoding Roy, but as above, I think games shall be a very close thing!

Tesla MP3 2021
Cool, man. I fully expect the i7 machine to beat mine. No pissing contest, just interesting. You may well make me spunk another few quid sooner than I thought ;) In all seriousness though - if every game you own is maxing out gravy at your res, that's all that matters.

Too true. It will be good to see what results I get, that's if I get it ;).

I didn't realise you'd stumped up for a QX9650 Roy. Somehow missed that.

That's just how I roll. Overclocked to 3.8Ghz but it runs at 4Ghz no problems. I'll need a better air cooler or water for that though. Yeah, no real need to change it right now :)