ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice for a n00b.

S3, Polo
I've recently run out of all of my usual products so wondered if you guys could recommend some products and techniques that would suit a budding 'hobbist' detailer? I'm interested in hard-wearing and lasting protection and I'm happy to top-up coats weekly, if need be.

Sealants, glazes, polishes and layering are all new to me -so treat me like a novice when referring to these things- but I'm keen to learn and use the right products - if it's right for me! I also don't have a machine polisher.

I've been using 2 buckets/ 3 sponges (2 bodywork, 1 wheels)/ Megs Gold Class Wash/ AG Machine Cleaner for the wheels/ Chamois/ Collinite 476S for as long as I care to remember. I've also been known to clay my cars with a Megs bar and Quik Detailer maybe 1-2 times a year.

Both of my cars are metallic, have been bought recently and have good but fairly neglected paintwork (one is silver pearl and one is green-black pearl).

No idea on budget but for the sake of my ignorance, let's say my budget is £60.

Assuming my technique would be:

- Hose down
- 2 bucket wash with a shampoo

Last edited:
  S3, Polo
Ok, good start, thanks CB! :D

I suppose what I need is a list of products to buy first, then work on using them properly?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Read the stickies at the top, then chat with JD and youll be sorted. Research into different products. And then come back with a shopping list of potential products.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I was in the same boat as you up until a few weekends ago when the car was in a bad state! From reading up on here and detailing world I managed to get very rough idea of a what i should be doing. Plus google "detailing flow chart" that helped me out as well.

My method just used including products used (no idea if it’s the best but the car is now like mirrored glass!)

Wash Car - wash mitt - megs gold class shampoo

Remove tar - AG tar remover

Remove Iron - Iron X (this is quality stuff, made my carbon lorraine brake dust covered car disappear

Rinse and make sure all iron x removed

Claybar – chemical guys clay block and luber, easier to use for me as a novice

Rinse

Polish – AG super resin polish

Cleanse – Dodo Juice - Lime Prime

Glaze - Chemical Guys - EZ Glaze with Acrylic Shine II

Sealant – AG extra gloss protection

Wax - 2 x coats of Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Paste Wax

Just an idea, one novice to another haha

Here’s what it looked like after:

1D58DF13-C566-462A-A29E-77789B6FB9CB-6771-000005427C4EAA8E_zpsa0b91b5e.jpg

357CAEC2-2AD3-46CD-85CD-CE60977237DE-6771-000005427EE4EED9_zpsbdf3c596.jpg

There is no right and wrong in detailing as it's all person experiences, budgets, time to spare etc... but if I may, John;

I was in the same boat as you up until a few weekends ago when the car was in a bad state! From reading up on here and detailing world I managed to get very rough idea of a what i should be doing. Plus google "detailing flow chart" that helped me out as well.

My method just used including products used (no idea if it’s the best but the car is now like mirrored glass!)

Wash Car - wash mitt - megs gold class shampoo - try Dodo Born to be Mild, you'll be impressed (coming from an old Megs GC user)

Remove tar - AG tar remover - again, try tardis, it's a hell of a lot better at it's job and thus easier

Remove Iron - Iron X (this is quality stuff, made my carbon lorraine brake dust covered car disappear

Rinse and make sure all iron x removed

Claybar – chemical guys clay block and luber, easier to use for me as a novice

Rinse

Polish – AG super resin polish

Cleanse – Dodo Juice - Lime Prime

Glaze - Chemical Guys - EZ Glaze with Acrylic Shine II

In the above order, you are actually semi glazing/filling with SRP, removing the fillers with Lime Prime, then filling again. Look at Menzerna 85/203s as a polish, then glaze. If you want cleaners, look at Werkstat Prime.

Sealant – AG extra gloss protection - much better and longer lasting/easier to apply sealants out there, look into the Werkstat acryllic sprays, Chem Guys Blitz Spray Sealant and other such sprays

Wax - 2 x coats of Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Paste Wax - nae bad product, but again, budget dependent there are better out there.

Just an idea, one novice to another haha

Here’s what it looked like after:

Quick declaration that this is purely "in my opinion" from a few years in the detailing circles :) And if you'd like links/further info, shout :)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Cheers JD, all help appreciated!

What's the aim of a cleanser/cleaner then? Why not just polish and glaze and leave the cleaners out? Are cleaners only normally used when polishing isn't needed?

Agree with comment on the wax too, as a total beginner I didnt want to go too far too soon, what do you is best for a sub £40 wax?

Cheers JD, all help appreciated!

What's the aim of a cleanser/cleaner then? Why not just polish and glaze and leave the cleaners out? Are cleaners only normally used when polishing isn't needed?

Agree with comment on the wax too, as a total beginner I didnt want to go too far too soon, what do you is best for a sub £40 wax?

Cleaners remove dirt from the paintwork, so technically, something like Prime could be used before and after polishing to remove grime. It's an extra step that includes a chemical cleaner, rather than something abrasive.

Re wax, I would look at second hand pots of Zymol Carbon, or push the budget by a few quid and buy a new pot @ £50. Personally :) Failing that, AutoGlymHD wax is superb for the price (£40 in Halfrauds but tends to be 241 or cheaper on Amazon, so make sure you buy @£25 rather than above!!).

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
just get it trade price through work. What would you say is a harder wearing wax thats not too expensive (and reasonably easy to use?)

Nattys Blue. Lasts a decent amount of time, easy to use/eat as it smells of bubblegum! And it looks good. All for £15. I'd struggle to choose between HD and Nattys though...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'll try some Nattys next I think, as I'm almost out of HD.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Think I get HD for about £18 to £19. Although if I have a few bits the rep normally chucks something in (Using less and less ag stuff these days as I learn more, but ok for cleaning the mountain bike) So what would the next step up be in waxes from HD and Nattys?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I use Nattys, and for the price it is pretty good. Only thing that let's it down is durability imo.