ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice for Potential RS 18 F1 buyer

Audi A3
Hi guys,
New to the forum and completely new to RS vehicles...
I am looking to get rid of my Audi A3 1.8 TFSI and get something sporty before the Mrs tells me to buy a family sedan in a couple years.
I’ve currently got my eyes on a Clio RS 18 F1 Limited Edition, with 15 000km on the clock.
I’d be using it as my daily vehicle, mostly highway driving to work and then throwing it around the suburbs on the weekend. I don’t think I will track race it, but maybe in the future I will give it a go.
Any owners of the RS 18 here or 220 trophy that can give me some advice or cons I should be aware of? My biggest concern is the change in interior quality coming from an Audi, any rattles or issues I should check before hand?
Would appreciate some help in making my decision!

Attachments

• 725606ED-C273-4235-A4B2-55F0A870626E.jpeg
    725606ED-C273-4235-A4B2-55F0A870626E.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 90F5367A-38D9-45E8-8A0F-93E89B3CCBD9.jpeg
    90F5367A-38D9-45E8-8A0F-93E89B3CCBD9.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 119

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
74k on mine as a daily workhorse and touch wood no issues at all really. I’ve replaced both front wishbones, tyres and brakes and that’s pretty much it in the last 50k apart from oil changes.

I’m looking to get my seats rebolstered as they’ve gone a little flat but what do you expect when I have so many different people of all shapes and sizes sitting in it day after day.

Audi A3
74k on mine as a daily workhorse and touch wood no issues at all really. I’ve replaced both front wishbones, tyres and brakes and that’s pretty much it in the last 50k apart from oil changes.

I’m looking to get my seats rebolstered as they’ve gone a little flat but what do you expect when I have so many different people of all shapes and sizes sitting in it day after day.
And the ride firmness? It’s firm i know, but on long trips doesn’t bother you?
No major rattles?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
No major rattles?
I’m running cooksport springs and no, it’s great. My pupils love it too 😁

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
No major rattles?
I did a road trip to the Monaco and back in 2018 in my old 220 Trophy, it eats the miles easily and in comfort too. I have to say that the Mk4 Clio seats for me are amongst the best I've sat in on super long journeys, more comfortable than my Megane 4RS.

I've owned both a 200 (3 years old at the time of buying) and 220 Trophy (from new) and have to say they are pretty dam reliable and at times economical when needed. I've averaged high 30s sometimes 40mpg on motorway runs using cruise control. Again, personally as I've owned both I can confidently say that the 220 is a far better, more advanced Clio... Then you have the RS18, I think it's the cherry on the cake. You'll pay a premium as its a limited edition but think its worth it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just not long sold mine after doing 20k in it in a year.

Best Renault sport I've ever owned, and I've had every hot Clio since the ph1 apart from the V6's! Once you settle into a groove with it its fantastic, hugely more capable than its predecessors

I found the interior build quality was pretty decent, mine had the heated leather which made the interior feel a bit nicer. only slight rattle I got was from the speedo cover, a hit once a week seemed to do the trick though!

fuel economy was a step up from mk3 RS Clio's but not by much!

ride comfort was night and day compared to previous cars with the hydraulic bump stops, soaked up the bumps nicely but was more than firm enough when pushing on, I cant see why all these manufacturers bother with adaptive dampers when Renault seem to have nailed it in one!

was really sad to see mine go!

Audi A3
@Ricardos @Sash @Martin_172 Thanks for the feedback guys.
I am taking the RS 18 out for a whole day this weekend to make a better call regarding the suspension (the RS 18 is even lower than the 220 Trophy), will try drive it normally as when i drove it for an hour on monday i was just flooring it in race the whole time haha.
The stereo display, has anyone replaced theirs with a more modern android unit? its the only part of the car thats a bit dated? Only problem is the RS Monitor will then not be usable :-(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The r-link runs on Android anyway, what benefits would you get from replacing it? I'm pretty sure the benefits wouldn't outweigh loosing the rs monitor