ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed - cambelt snapped

Hi Folks,

To cut a long story short the cambelt has let go on the 172. Looks pretty terminal. Renault Notts have the car at the mo and are assessing the damage. The cars only done 47K and as far as Im aware the cambelt doesnt need changing until the 72K service. The car has a full service history all performed at main dealers. I know the bill for this is going to be absolutely massive. The RAC chap checked under the oil cap (Ive not seen the car yet as it happened whilst Ella was driving) and found bits of valve all over the place!!

Has anyone had a 172 cambelt go at a "lower" mileage than the advised change? The cars out of warranty but in my mind this should be one bill that Renault should foot. Do I stand a chance? Are they liable for this because of the so called correct service schedule?

Thanks in advance
Richard

if you get stuck you will be better of getting a new engine from j3ned than getting your old one repaired

sorry to hear of your bad news

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Agree with Shaun about using j3ned for a replacement engine, the bill will be yours unless renault are feeling generous.

Renault might do a goodwill payment but they will rebuilt the engine which just isnt economical even if they do give a fair

Drop j3ned a call new engines are somehting line £1.4k+ vat and fitments only a few hundred. A second hand engine is about £600 I think.

Good luck mate.

Bit of a swine that isnt it. Was it serviced by Renault all of the time?

I would definetly be trying to get something sorted by them - especially if it does have full Renault history!

Elise/VX220/R26

try posting this on the renaultsport forum m8, Ive noticed lately that they have a customer service person on there now, make a fuss on there and see if they will help.

if its still got some warrenty left it should be covered, or at least a contribution payment from u for it doing, at end of day the belt has gone before manufacturers recomended date/milage, in my eyes its warrenty, parts failure!!!

Just so that people are aware, I had my Cambelt changed at 36,000 miles. Was told another few Ks of mileage and I would of been in the same situation as you.

Everybody at the time said "72000 or 5 years" but as it now goes to show this is not always the case.

Feel for you mate, I really do :(

Hope you get it sorted.

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 15 July 2005

if its still got some warrenty left it should be covered, or at least a contribution payment from u for it doing, at end of day the belt has gone before manufacturers recomended date/milage, in my eyes its warrenty, parts failure!!!
he says above that its out of warranty

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 15 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by richy on 15 July 2005if its still got some warrenty left it should be covered, or at least a contribution payment from u for it doing, at end of day the belt has gone before manufacturers recomended date/milage, in my eyes its warrenty, parts failure!!! [/QUOTE]he says above that its out of warranty

Yep out of warranty 02 plate 3.5 years.

see what they say, but its renault notts that wouldnt pay to have my door realigned on a nearly new car, i had to pay £65 myself

good luck

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 15 July 2005
try posting this on the renaultsport forum m8, Ive noticed lately that they have a customer service person on there now, make a fuss on there and see if they will help.

Cheers will give that a go.......

A 52 plate................so that makes it 3years old yeah?

What Im driving at is if it is only 3years old and at 47k miles its WELL within the Reno recomendations, which are 72,000miles or 5years, add to that the fact that it has been serviced as and when required by Reno then you may well have a case.

Contact the dealer your car is sitting at, explain the situation and ask them to take it up with Reno.

If they refuse then contact a solicitor (the 1st visit is FOC) explain the situation taking ALL ducumentation ie S/Hist, invoices & reciepts, the service booklet which states 72,000miles or 5years etc etc.

If required have the solicitor send a letter...........the 1st will only cost £5.

Obviously try hard to do it either via the Reno dealer or by yourself via Reno customer services.

I had the coils pack up well after the warranty was up and they agreed to replace 4off as a good will gesture, that was done via the dealer.

Cya Stu

PS this has been suggested by my dad, the same thing happened to someone he knows and all was settled to his satisfaction without the need to go to court ie via the dealer & customer services, also always be polite never ever loose the rag.

sorry my mistake didnt read it fully! but as above ring renault customer services or get the dealer to and theres a good chance they will pay a contribution to it, is it fully serviced etc?

its still a parts failure before the recomended time/milage and not that far out fo date

Quote: Originally posted by Turbo 200 on 15 July 2005

Customer services may give you a contribution, maybe 20-30%. Is it a late 02 reg?

Actually if its a 52 plate it should still be under warranty!

[Edited by stusV6 on 15 July 2005 at 10:21pm]

there should be no need to get a solicitor in, the car is well under the recomened milage and time that is stated for the belt, yes its out of warrenty but at work (renault) we fit alot of stuff thats out of warrenty because customer services pay for it!

ask the dealer to ring them if they say its not covered! as stated several times its under the milage/time!!

[Edited by richy on 15 July 2005 at 10:23pm]

Yeah youre rite richy as I said above but should the need to go to court come about I have mentioned it.

Rite Ive back tracked and read the bits and bobs that were written as I was writing.................so its 3.5years old and out of warranty.

Cool its only just out of warranty and I recon no sweat they will at least make a decent contrabution as long as the service history is correct IMHO.

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 15 July 2005 at 10:27pm]

artic blue 182

sorry to hear that mate....may be worth a letter to the managing director at renault UK explaining things you got nothing to lose.

good luck hope you get it sorted

Yeah Dave but things have to done in the correct order starting with the dealer who has the car...........do it through them.............he might be surprised I was when they agreed to replace 4coils FOC as a goodwill gesture.

Cya Stu

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

does of course depend on what the cause for the belt failure was...

would be interested to find out why it went... was it just the belt or was there another part that got stuck and caused the belt!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

sorry to hear that matey, im well paranoid about mine going, its booked in for next month! sounds like u have some come back if its only a 52 plate and still under warrenty though surely? Keep us updated!

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 15 July 2005
A 52 plate................so that makes it 3years old yeah?What Im driving at is if it is only 3years old and at 47k miles its WELL within the Reno recomendations, which are 72,000miles or 5years, add to that the fact that it has been serviced as and when required by Reno then you may well have a case.Contact the dealer your car is sitting at, explain the situation and ask them to take it up with Reno.If they refuse then contact a solicitor (the 1st visit is FOC) explain the situation taking ALL ducumentation ie S/Hist, invoices & reciepts, the service booklet which states 72,000miles or 5years etc etc.If required have the solicitor send a letter...........the 1st will only cost £5.Obviously try hard to do it either via the Reno dealer or by yourself via Reno customer services.I had the coils pack up well after the warranty was up and they agreed to replace 4off as a good will gesture, that was done via the dealer.Cya StuPS this has been suggested by my dad, the same thing happened to someone he knows and all was settled to his satisfaction without the need to go to court ie via the dealer & customer services, also always be polite never ever loose the rag.

Thanks for the comments chaps. This sounds like a plan if ever I saw one - Thanks for the advice Stu - its always good to get advice from peeps who have handled a situation like this and had positive results. Ill keep you posted as of the outcome over the next few days and hopefully with a verdict on what caused the failure.

The bummer is I need the car for a holiday in Scotland at the end of July - thats now looking extremely unlikely!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 15 July 2005

does of course depend on what the cause for the belt failure was...

would be interested to find out why it went... was it just the belt or was there another part that got stuck and caused the belt!
Yup will be interesting to find out why......

After checking the RS details on my dads comp.
It does reccoment that the belt be checked regularly in Sports Models.

And does advise it to be changed before the recommended Renault Listing

BUT in fairness your car is only 3 years old and only at 47k.

Dependant on what has failed.... id say Renault shud foot the bill for this.
As you seem to have complied with all there stuff.

Quote: Originally posted by desmondo on 16 July 2005

The bummer is I need the car for a holiday in Scotland at the end of July - thats now looking extremely unlikely!

Where are you going in Scotland Des?

Stu

PS if there is a reasonable outcome a courtesy car could be on the cards...........explain the situation they may be able to help.

Mk IV 200 RS trophy

The cam went on my old mk1 172, 4.5 years old, 19000miles with on the clock. she let go at 80-mph on the A23 cost £2500 to fix, but with the help of Renault UK it cost me £250 they paid 90% as a bit good will. push them and they will give you a good discount. But the car never felt the same after, so sadly she was sold :(

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 16 July 2005

just out of interest - is there anyone here whos car is over 72k or 5yrs old whos NOT had their cambelt changed?
That would be seriously mad. I just had mine replaced its 4 years old and has 32k on the clock.

I reckon Renault will pay for this one, fingers crossed

Quote: Originally posted by os1so on 16 July 2005
The cam went on my old mk1 172, 4.5 years old, 19000miles with on the clock. she let go at 80-mph on the A23 cost £2500 to fix, but with the help of Renault UK it cost me £250 they paid 90% as a bit good will. push them and they will give you a good discount. But the car never felt the same after, so sadly she was sold :(

Now this is interesting..

I dont like the sound of it never being the same though and £2500 is a bit steep, Especially considering a new engine would be cheaper to fit!

Well, after spending 2 days trying to speak to someone at Sunwin in Notts (serveral phone calls and left messages) Ive had a quote of £326 for four hours labour just to find out how much damage is done - thats even before a cost for repair!

Anyhow, I called Renault UK today to "enlighten them of the situation" and as per Stus advice they advised that the garage should call them direct.

Several phone calls and left messages later Im still waiting for a call back from Sunwin so I can get them to call R UK. I thought so called customer service was getting better @ main dealers.

What the hell is going on with these people.....

notts renault are crap mate, better speaking to ruk, then getting them to sort the dealer, although ruk were crap with me too

CTR EK9 turbo

wasnt there a recall with something to do with cam belt tensioners years ago with some of the 172s? Im sure i remember reading about this on the old forum........

Ouch!

Just had Sunwin call. All the valves are dead and the engine needs a new head! Renault UK will only pay 50% of the cost leaving me with a bill for £1,519. Not what I wanted to hear.

How can it costs three grand to rectify this! Looks like its going to be more economical in the long run to forefit the 4 hours labour and take it elsewhere for a new engine to be fitted. WTF is all that about.

:mad:

Thats shocking Des :cry:

Dont let it rest at that............take it further............first manager, then customer services, then a registered letter to Reno UK explaining what you plan to do next ie solocitor, then contact a solicitor, etc!

Cya Stu