ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed please

Maz

LY 200
Washed, Clayed and waxed the car yesterday but still couldn't get all the dust off the wheels, is there anything that will get rid of it please ?? and don't say elbow grease :eek: lol

106 GTi
After claying the paintwork, a good use for the left over clay is to do the wheels.

Other than that a strong wheel cleaner of some sort will be needed and a brush. Of the shelf try the Autoglym Clean wheels, it is acid based so use only as much as needed. After polish and seal them - then soap and water will be all you need for future cleans.

Maz

LY 200
I washed the wheels with a wheel brush and then clayed them and waxed but still couldn't get it all off :eek: don't really want to use anything that will strip the paint or flake :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How do so many people get brake dust stuck solid to their wheels???

In the 9 years i've been driving, i've never had a problem??!!!

106 GTi
I would first try some non acid based cleaner first - I like Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner.

If this is not working you will have to use something stronger which most are acid basd. Autoglym Clean Wheels is good, (but acid based) but you can water it down. As long as your wheels are in good condition no curb marks etc it should be fine.

Maz

LY 200
Is that what you use Rich ?? its miles harder to get in the corners of the trophy wheels to try and get it all out and I have small hands and fingers so I don't know how guys cope ..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Some engine degreaser and a hot water pressure washer is how i cope, (otherwise i'd get my hands dirty;))

106 GTi
I only ever use soap and water on my own wheels and a Halfords wheel brush.

On other peoples cars my first step is Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner or Meguiars All Purpose cleaner, and then yes if thats not working out comes the Autoglym Wheel Cleaner.

I hire small people do do the hard to reach places! - seriously I have a variety of different sized brushes.

Maz

LY 200
Hmmmmmmm thanks for that, I have a halfords wheel brush, maybe just need a smaller one to get in the corners..

Bet your car aint ever dirty even when you decide to wash it ;) lol

If the brake dust is really stubborn you could try wonder wheels - but it is very acidic, so much so that you may want to water it down a bit.
Its really good though:) (only ever use it a few times a year if that) it takes all kinds of cr*p off.
A good idea (I don't know if any one said it) is to wax the wheels after you've done them, the brake dust washes off really easily then:approve: