ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed!?

Basically I'm 17 and at the minute I've got a 1.4 ph1. I brought it earlier in the year (about July/ August I think) from my sister for £300 for me to learn in and eventually drive. Before it was my sisters it was my aunts and they both drive like they're 98 so I know it had been looked after for the past few years, the problem is since about a week after I got it my brother-in-law decided he'd blow his Punto up. I thought 'yeah i'll lend him the Clio for a few weeks, he'll take care of it.' But no he still hasn't brought a new one, he's crashed it twice and now its sat at a family friends garage/ farm in a corner gathering dust coz he broke it again and has to pay for my sister's to be fixed first (they both died within days of each other). Now, I realised I'm not actually getting anything out of him using it, except it slowly being f*cked and more miles being put on and not in a nice way obviously!

While he's had it I've been making it how I want for when I actually get to drive it properly for myself, 172 alloys, sport interior, ph2 rear lights, head unit and new door speakers. I still want to do more but with it being broken so many times, the body work being tatty from where it's still not been sorted and having so many miles now (well over 120k now I think!) I'm contemplating selling it and getting something else. I asked my brother-in-law to buy it off me, but I don't think he wants it either. What I think we've agreed is he gives it back and gives me some money as well.

Now I've got a few choices;

Option 1 - keep this. I got it for pretty cheap BUT, it is a 1.4 so insurance is a bit pricey because as I said I'm only 17. Also it's quite obviously been treated like sh*t for about 5/6 months and has gained more miles so is getting closer to giving up completely.

Option 2 - sell up and get a newer Clio. I reckon altogether between the few bits I would sell and the car as standard I may be able to get about £500 - £600 (correct me if I'm wrong) so then it would only be a bit of saving until I have about a grand and can get a little 1.2 ph2 (preferably in Flame Red). This would obviously be cheaper insurance, have less miles and in my opinion a lot nicer.

Option 3 - sell and getting something else. I know this is a Clio forum so people will be biased but, as I said I'd probably only have to save for a little bit until I've got about a grand, I was looking at either a Fiesta, Saxo or a 106.

What do you guys think would be best?

well that accidently got quite long! if you do actually read all that and give your opinion then thank you!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Have you done insurance quotes on yours and a 1.2? If the difference isn't too much, I'd keep your one and drive that. Selling and buying another car is hassle.
Plus you will more than likely have a bump in the car anyway, so might aswell have it in a car that is already slightly scruffy.

BG V6, LY 182
First of all it's BOUGHT. You cannot brought a car.

Personally I'd keep it till it dies, then scrap it. IF you were to have an accident of some sort you won't be as bothered about it as you would be with a newer one. I just remember how I drove when I was 17. Even if it's just another year.

Have you done insurance quotes on yours and a 1.2? If the difference isn't too much, I'd keep your one and drive that. Selling and buying another car is hassle.
Plus you will more than likely have a bump in the car anyway, so might aswell have it in a car that is already slightly scruffy.
yeah I have, there's roughly a £500 difference if I was to pay all up front (which I doubt i'll do) or monthly the first month is a difference of about £100 and about £50 for the rest.

and did I say sister? I meant brother ;)

Just quickly compared the insurance on all of the cars that I'd consider, 1.4 ph1, 1.2 ph2, fiesta, saxo, 106 and 206, and the ph2 was the cheapest of the lot and what I would prefer anyway! So I've decided I wanna sell up and get a ph2 dynamique (I found that to be cheaper than the expression or authentique) and would really want it in Flame Red. I've checked autotrader and reckon I'm looking at £750 upwards for a decent one? Is this a good estimate or am I way off?

Mx5
I'm 17 and had a ph2 1.2 dynamique but now I have a phase 1 1.4 and honestly I miss the 1.2 so much. so getting a ph2 is a good idea imo

I'd keep the car you have until it dies or at least until the insurance runs out?

The ph2 Dynamique is well spec'd and you should be able to pick a 2001/2002 car for £800-£1000. Sorry to disappoint you though the non-sport ph2s did not come in flame red. Think they were cherry red and/or capsicum red. Out of the list of non-Clios, the Peugeot 206 is actually quite good to drive and they handle really well IMO. Old Peugeot clutches are notorious for being weak though so make sure everything works properly if viewing anything.

Clio MK3
Keep the car you have, then look for something that you can get your money out of the best, for example my 1.4 Clio at 17 was only £110 more than a 1.2, so I went for that. Sometimes a 1.4 can be cheaper just by the fact that the 1.2 is more common between young drivers I believe. Have fun driving :D