ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please........Nighthawk Black EP3

RenaultSport 172
Hi guys
I have a Type R in black and it's in desperate need of polishing. The paint looks ok after a wash but is looking a bit dull and there are scratches and swirls everywhere.
I did start buying a few detailing items a while ago, including a DA. A month or so ago I polished the bonnet with Jeff's Acrylic Prime and I think I used a Chemical Guys Orange pad. Anyhow the finish came out ok, but there are so many chips on the bonnet that have now ended up bright white as they are full of polish. What's the solution to this? Is there a better polish I should use that won't do this?
I don't want to start doing the rest of the car until I sort it.
I was looking at Poorboys Black Hole which sounds good to fill swirls etc, but then I saw it's to be used after the polishing phase? I'm assuming that's not gonna fix my problem of all the white stone chips.
I don't mind buying a new polish and couple of other bits but don't want to end up spending a fortune.

I have collinite 915 was to use which I haven't even opened yet. I also have some AF Power Seal. Just need to get this polishing malarky done to make the paint look a bit better.

What would you guys suggest?
Thanks

Whatever you do, DO NOT polish in direct sunlight as the paint is ultra soft and you''ll get terrible swirl marks, been there done it! On blisteringly hot days you can actually put a finger nail mark in the paint, lol.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
An IPA based product is probably what you're looking for to try and remove any excess polish (something like Carpro Eraser or Gtechniq panel wipe) but if you wax it afterwards the white of the wax is just going to get into the chips again, assuming the IPA even makes them look any better in the first place.

It's really a case of respray or put up with them in this case sadly. My nighthawk black FN was the exact same

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Had the same problem with my black EP3. It did look amazing when fully detailed though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
To remove the polish, I'd just use IPA or something. Black Hole is just a filler/glaze so it won't remove anything, it'll just mask the issues the best it can.
Your best bet is to have the really bad panels painted, then correct the rest of the car with a microfibre cutting pad combo. The easiest way for someone with little experience to get noticeable results.
Then you can seal/wax afterwards. Very basic run-down but that's what I'd do.

RenaultSport 172
Well I had another look at the bonnet tonight. The stone chips are pretty bad so I don't think it would look good even without the polish stuck in them. I'll have to get the bonnet sprayed in the future.
Cheers for the advice guys.
I'll stick with the Prime and give the car a going over :)
I did the bonnet tonight again for good measure and then waxed.
IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud to soften the polish and toothpick it out. Unless you just fancy tooth picking it out in the first place.

I would not have started with an orange pad on Honda paint!

I've corrected a civic before with tripple on a finishing pad!

Also, regarding the chips. If you're willing to have it painted in the future, give this a go first

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

It will probably save you a fair bit of money as you seem handy enough to do it yourself