ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please

Hey guys and girls

I am having a little trouble generating interest in my 172 that I'm currently trying to sell to make way for my new toy. Have advertised it on pistonheads, freeads website and in the autotrader mag and on the autotrader website but interset has been slow to say the least!

Is there anywhere else you'd recommend I should advertise?

Has anybody here had any experience using E-bay to buy/sell a car?

Plus how much do you think I should be asking for a Immaculate Iceberg 172 on a 52 plate with T&T and warranty?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Owen

No not yet, cant post it for sale on this site as I'm not a full fat member.

If I can work out how to post pics on this site I'll add a couple to this thread asap

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I put mine on autotrader , no calls for over a week , then a guy bought it 9 days after i put it up for sale . After that the phone never stopped ringing ,lol . I'd forgot to cancel the ad .

Somewhere between £7250 and £7500 maybe even a couple of hundred more then they can knock you down and think they have done a good deal . Depends on how much warranty left , T+T , mileage etc ....

Your immaculate might not be somebody elses . The guy said he had looked at 6 others before mine and they had all been thrashed .

Patience is the keyword , not much else you can do but wait and hope .

Good luck with the sale mate :)

MrBillyUK !

Clio 172 mk2
As a ballpark figure I payed 7500 for my full fat 52 plate 172.....it did only have 13k on the clock though which probably made it a bit more pricey.

Thanks guys

Was worried that i'd overpriced it.

Warranty, tax and mot all run until Dec 06/Jan 07 - I thought that having an extended warranty would attract buyers?!

I thought that the phone would be ringing off the hook - but no such luck as yet.

Will just have to be patient.....

320d
How much did you advertise it for? whats the mileage?

I'd say you'll get £7000 for it give or take a couple of hundred

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think you've under priced it by a few hundred mate . Plus i wouldn't bother with the extended warranty , its just money out of your pocket . The new owner can sort that out themselves .

Put your autotrader advertisement on here so we can have a look at it .

I couldn't believe some of the advertisements when i was selling mine on the autotrader website .

Some of them had hardly any description about the car , only 1 photo when your allowed 9 . Your paying good money for them to sell it so use everything your allowed . Make it stand out from the rest .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
oj172 said:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

Bit naff with computers tbh and not sure how to post a link. Thats the address to get to the page. Mines the one at the top.

To be quite honest mate . Its not the worst advert ive seen but it could be improved .

When you click on the link you only see limited info before you open up the link to your whole advert .
You need to state the good points at the beginning of your ad so that it will catch somebodies eye .

Put that it has full renault service history in the first couple of lines so that its one of the first things a potential buyer sees .
I'm assumin that it has 5 alloys ? 1 spare ? Put that . Does it have an alarm / immobiliser , is it Cat 1 ? Put that down .
What are the condition of the tyres , if they are good put that , if they aren't so good leave that out . Condition of brakes , if they are newish , good , put that down .
You say it is immaculate , if it really is change your wording from extremely good condition to immaculate condition .
Change the auto wipers to automatic rain sensitive wipers .Change the wording to cd player with 6 cd multi changer if its the standard renault set up .
Don't forget . Not everybody looking will know the full spec of clio 172 , some people might only know very little about the features of a 172 , so your description has to be clear and as explanatory as is possible on a website .
Take out the genuine reason for sale bit also , autotrader recommends that you don't use this wording .
Change it to o.n.o as well so people know that there is room for movement on the price .
Whats your lowest price ? Add £200 on top .
Take some better pics , very arty the steering wheel pic , but it dosen't really sell the car , just looks like your no good with a camera . Use all 9 pics your allowed to .
Make your car stand out from the rest .

MrBillyUK !

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice MRBILLYUK.

I know the pics are pretty naff - was in a rush to wash it and snap it before the light disappeared - will get some better pics this week.

Will def look into modifying the advert as you suggest

Thanks again for the input

Owen

Hello Owen

I am afraid your car is over priced and the advice you are getting is mostly from other owners who like most of us (myself included) believe our cars are worth top dollar, BUT if you want to sell you have to look at the market, the competition and think like a buyer NOT an owner.

There are lots of 172 Sports on Autotrader. If you want your car to sell you need to recognise that at the moment your car is sat in the just above average price category; forget Parkers guides etc and look at what people are actually asking for the cars. The question I think you have to ask yourself is why is somone going to buy my car, when Autotrader currently has (amongst many others):
  1. 2002 with 27,100 miles FSH excellent condition at £6400
  2. 2002 with 24730 miles FDSH Immaculate condition at £6499
  3. 2002 with 26000 miles FSH (+ just serviced) at £6500
  4. 2002 with 29000 miles FSH from a garage at £6750 (and a 24 month warranty would only be £395)
  5. 2003 with 20000 miles £6950
I think MRBILLYUK is being a little optimistic with:

"Somewhere between £7250 and £7500 maybe even a couple of hundred more then they can knock you down and think they have done a good deal . Depends on how much warranty left , T+T , mileage etc .... "

Why would anyone pay Between £850 and £1100 over the car at point 1 above?? That is a really big difference.

You have to remember there are only a finite number of buyers at any one time; supply far exceeds demand hence the same cars being there every week making Autotrader and similar companies lots of money. If you want to sell look at three similar cars to yours (i.e. Year, mileage, condition and price) at the lower end of the price scale and plan to steal their customers. Otherwise you will sit in the mid field waiting for someone to eventually give you a try ~ You may well get more money in the long run but your advertising costs will be shooting up alarmingly as the weeks go on and as you have choosen to sell for a reason you probably don't want to be saddled with it any longer than you have to.

I don't mean to be negative but if you want to sell you car you really need to look at facts. The other thing is how long have the cars above been on the market, I am not 100% sure, but most of them are familiar to me and have been around for a while now... Are even these ones over priced? 172 Sports and Cups (along with lots of other makes and models) on Ebay are time and time again not attracting any real bids with the owners reserves nearly always failing to be reached.

I know as I am watching the market with a great deal of interest as I want to buy a 172 Cup late spring / early summer and at the moment I think the prices will come down (substantially) further; especialy when the new Clio 197 Sport comes out in June with dealers taking orders from March.

If I was in your position I would look to advertise the car for £6350 - £6400 with the intention of taking £6200 - £6250. At least at that price you would generate (hopefully) alot of interest and get people to look at the car (Something which probably will not happen in the mid field as prospective buyers will start with the cheapest well spec'd cars and work their way upwards) and even then you would be in-undated with 6k cash in their hand offers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Green George,

I prob needed the wake up call - Suppose we all like to think our motors are worth millions!

Have unfortunately already shelled out 390 beer tokens on the extended warranty - thats why I was asking so much as I would have liked to recoup some of that cash.

Have had a think about it and reduced it to £6500 - advert on piston heads

Not sure if I can change the advert on the autotrader website - am looking into it....
Too late for the mag as its already printed, doh!

Regards
Owen

Not sure if I can change the advert on the autotrader website - am looking into it....
Too late for the mag as its already printed, doh!

You should be able to change the online advert. When you posted the advert they should have sent you an e-mail explaining how to alter the advert. Failing that give them a ring and they should be able to ammend it on your behalf.

Good luck!

Only 7 miles away from me on autotrader!
Probably seen you around. Have seen a silver 172 around Newport. Looked nice, abviously might not have been you though ;-)
Good luck with sale!

Clio 182 FF & Cups
Hi oj

I am trying to sell my 172 at the moment. 2003 (53) reg, iceburg silver. 14,400 miles and 9 months warranty remaining, i'm asking £7,500. Have advertised it in the for sale section on this website and I have had no luck what so ever. Lots of nice comments from fellow cliosporters about it looking mint and it been well priced but as yet no takers.

I advertised it on ebay last week and the auction finished wsith a final price of £7,200, I was disappointed but willing to accept that but then the mother funster didn't go through with the purchase anyway (no contact or anything, just another chancer on ebay). I've relisted it this week with a slightly lower reserve, I'll keep you posted on its progress but i'd suggest to you that ebay should be your last resort. I would advertise mine in the autotrader but there are approx 40 for sale in my immediate area, really dont want to waste money on advertising.

I think the problem is is that 182's can now be had for around £8k so people will stretch to that for what is 'percieved' to be a much better car, my fear is that the prices may plummet further in the next few months when evo magazine get hold of a new renault sport clio and begin to hype that.

Keep your chin up though, she'll go for the right price, thrash the tits off her the meantime!!

fewie_172 said:
Hi oj

I am trying to sell my 172 at the moment. 2003 (53) reg, iceburg silver. 14,400 miles and 9 months warranty remaining, i'm asking £7,500.....
Keep your chin up though, she'll go for the right price, thrash the tits off her in the meantime!!

That last comment should really help you sell your car!!!!

Clio 182 FF & Cups
Green George said:
That last comment should really help you sell your car!!!!

LOL, never though of it like that. my motor is sat in the garage waiting for it's new owner, only drive it 4 miles a day (i live close to work). Whilst she has been driven hard in the past it's only when fully warmed through, show me a 172 that hasn't! What i maybe should have said is:- "whilst waiting for a buyer for your vehicle make sure you enjoy it's finer qualities"

BMW Z4 3.0i
I tried selling mine about 10 months ago. Same sort of thing, I had it advertised at the top end of the average price bracket but didn't get a single call in two issues of autotrader and 3 weeks online, despite dropping the price half way through. I decided for the sort of money I was going to get, it wasn't worth me selling it as it'd only just cover paying off the loan.

I'm still toying with the idea too. Something new breaks every few months and it is seriously f**king me off. I've got to the point where I'd just admit defeat and keep it if I knew it wasn't going to keep breaking when the warranty runs out next month.

Plus I can get considerable discount of the focus ST, but what if that keeps breaking. Maybe I should sell my clio and invest in "throw-away" cars.

Sold as seen today

Money in the bank and drive empty ready for the new one (which has now been delayed until 16th! doh! bit of a bugger really as I'm now car less!)

Hope the new owner enjoys her as much as I did

MK2 172
Hi, I came and bought your 172 today.

Yep I will def enjoy driving the 172. Gives so much pull through the gears, made me grin all the way down the M5. Just will be sad to sell the ZS, great car in which I have had so much fun.