ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please??

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
Before I go and shell out a wedge for a new fuel pump, I'd like to make sure there is nothing else that could possibly be at fault.

the car is a 2002 1.6 16v clio, k4m engine

for a while when I start it its been spluttery, lately the pump priming noise has become very gritty sounding, and it now takes me switching the key to 2 clicks and then back off and on again to get the pump priming noise at all. also the car has started to take longer and longer turning before it fires.

as far as i know there isnt a fuel filter I can get at, its all in one unit with the pump and the sender which sits in the top of the tank.

Is there anything else it could possibly be or that I could check before I have to spend mega bucks??

Thanks in advance
Budj

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Edde's guess is the best one, your "gritty" noise is probably the relay chattering.

Someone else had exactly the same problem recently and solved it by changing the relay.

Its not unheard of for fuel pumps to pack up, but I think Edde would confirm, they either work, or don't work, they rarely go intermittent.

Yep Brians right.

Pumps have on very rare occasions had bad connections or got stuff stuck in them but then shows up as not starting at all or yuou could tell it winns, or very limited power.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
TBH I've had the seat up and the gritty noise is coming from under it, ie. fuel pump area, doesnt sound as nice and smooth as it should

I'm gonna check all the relays tomorrow as I'm off work, is there anything I should be looking for in particular??

also does anyone know which relay it is, and are there any others the same that I could swap it with in hope it isolates the pfroblem??

Many Thanks Guys :)

TBH I've had the seat up and the gritty noise is coming from under it, ie. fuel pump area, doesnt sound as nice and smooth as it should

I'm gonna check all the relays tomorrow as I'm off work, is there anything I should be looking for in particular??

also does anyone know which relay it is, and are there any others the same that I could swap it with in hope it isolates the pfroblem??

Many Thanks Guys :)

Might just not be getting the power hcne switching ona nd off or winning check that first.

Otherwise strip the pump out somehting might be stuck.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
errrrr okay cheers I'll try and be more specific, as I've never done this before

can I get the pump out from the hole under the rear bench?

how do I undo the pump/take it off the tank?

cheers

errrrr okay cheers I'll try and be more specific, as I've never done this before

can I get the pump out from the hole under the rear bench?

how do I undo the pump/take it off the tank?

cheers

Get a Haynes manaul. Will give you pictures.

Basiclly remove the cover
disconnect the wiring and the pipe work noting which pipe goes where.

Note where the arrow on the locking ring is sitting

Now the pump is held in with a sort of screw top for a jar but theres no top its just a ring. Unscrew this you or you can make a tool up to do it of just use a screwdriver and hammer and knock it loose (anticlockwise)

Remove the pump.

Check the condition of the sealing ring which the pump sits on

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Also check the wires on the insulated pegs where they go through the flange of the pump to the external connector, I have seen them break round the solder joints on BMW pumps, (which are almost identical to the Clio one.)

Dont use a portable gas soldering iron, unless you need to get rid of a lot of body hair ;)