ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice request: swapping from HHD to SSD

BMW E46 330i Touring
So, the situation as it currently is:

2 x HDD's in my PC. One is 600GB and has Windows and all of my programs on it. The other is only 114GB but stores my music and photos, etc.

I'm going to buy a 60GB SSD to put Windows and some of the hungrier programs on to (Photoshop, etc). This will then properly free up the 600GB HDD to store a lot more media, smaller programs and documents on it.

What's the best way to get it all moved around? I'm thinking of moving everything I want to keep onto my smaller HDD, formatting the 600GB and then installing Windows onto the SSD. However, how do I then get everything from my small HDD onto the large HDD? I can't think how many SATA connections my motherboard has for hard drives, but are 3 common?

An idiot's guide would be useful! :S

My recommendation is DO NOT get a 60gb one. You need at least 120gb unless you want to be continually pissing about freeing up space.

Even with 120gb, I find it annoying and will be moving to a 256gb soon!

You should also have 3 SATA connections yes, usually 2-8.

Tbh if I was you, just having windows on defeats the point a bit, at least have the core programs on it (you'll use more than Photoshop right?) I'd still recommend the 120gb over the 60gb anyway to be honest!

Do you know which one you'd go for? The Crucial M4 is still highly recommended and is what I'm currently using, can't fault it so far!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Haven't got that far yet to be honest, just having a rethink how I can 'refresh' the PC after a few years' reliable use. It's still very capable but definitely slowed down by a couple ancient HDD's!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends how much space you need, how much are you currently using on your 600gb one? and how much of it is old crap you dont need?

ive got a 60GB SSD in my laptop and only use 20GB of it but i dont use it for much other than web browsing and office etc.
my HTPC has a 80GB SSD and i only use 30GB of that, its used for all the stuff i use my laptop for plus downloading stuff and watching bluerays etc all my media stuff is stored on a 1TB drive.

Polo + Micra
i bought a 60GB ssd a while ago for my laptop that has just been replaced but if i had to buy a new it would definitely be 120GB+

i've got a corsair force 3 now and it's loads better than the ssd it replaced

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I have a 60gb SSD but i literally only have my OS on it and couple of other programs. But by the time you have installed Windows, all its updates you dont have much more than 30GB free. I imagine photoshop will take a few GB up too. I would go for a 120GB one, there is a good offer on Scan or Aria with the KingstonX drives, 120gb for £64 which is pretty cheap for a good ssd.