ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After a Clio - Recommendations??

Clio 182 FF
My sister is after a Clio for her first car. She's only 17 and still having lessons, ive said ill find her a car as she's useless.

After a bit of research ive narrowed it down to the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol versions, plus the 1.5 (80) diesel version.

Just wondering what you guys think would be the best option for her.

Cheers.

Clio 1.2 16V
Well I got a Clio about 5 months ago, i was set on a 1.4(100) but then i drove a 1.2 and i couldn't really tell the difference in speed, plus it was cheaper on many things.

For a first car i'd say 1.2, better fuel consumption and cheaper insurance. However obviously the 1.2 is slightly slower but there isn't much in it.

Mini Cooper
i had a mk 2 ph1 1.2 8v first and now iv got a mk2 ph2 1.2 16v and it really suprised me the difference in acceleration i dont think its worth going for the 1.4 cause it will bump up the insurance

320d
Dci 80 everytime, the only downside is the diesel noise, but 1.2/4's dont make a great sound anyway.

Dci 80's are cheap to insure although not quite as cheap as 1.2's but they get amazing fuel economy and probly the fastest out of the three in terms of overtaking ability etc.

My sister is after a Clio for her first car. She's only 17 and still having lessons, ive said ill find her a car as she's useless.

After a bit of research ive narrowed it down to the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol versions, plus the 1.5 (80) diesel version.

Just wondering what you guys think would be the best option for her.

Cheers.
Haha, bloody sisters ey?

I'm really very pleased with my first car, a little black 1.2 Dynamique. Looks sporty and must nicer than the rest of the range, plus it's not a slow car either.

That, or the diesel.

Renault Clio 1.2
Dci 80 everytime, the only downside is the diesel noise, but 1.2/4's dont make a great sound anyway.

Dci 80's are cheap to insure although not quite as cheap as 1.2's but they get amazing fuel economy and probly the fastest out of the three in terms of overtaking ability etc.

agree with you there mate, my 1.2 isnt the sexiest noise a car can make lol. just waiting for my second years no claims thena 197 hopefully ;)

alien green rs133
8v 1.2 is cheaper to insure than 16v, thats one thing to take into considereration,
i love my 8v :D

Clio 182 FF
Cheers for the responses. Decided to aim towardsthe 1.2 16v, around 04 reg. Or if we can stretch - the diesel, however she only has 3.5k max and most of the diesels below 50k were coming in at around £4k :(

I'll keep looking though :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends what you want, dci 80 is rarer so 65's go cheaper thats why i got one because i didnt want to spend over 2k.

8v doesnt matter, theres no need for them to be 16v

Clio 182 FF
most diesels are 8v

vauxhall make a 16v diesel :approve:

Yer a know, ideally wanted a 1.3 cdti sxi for her, but they only came in around 2005. So a good one was coming in around £5k.

depends what you want, dci 80 is rarer so 65's go cheaper thats why i got one because i didnt want to spend over 2k.

Not for me mate, would never have a diesel myself personally. Its for my sister who's 17, has no idea about cars and fancies a clio. Think im going to concentrate on 1.2's and the dci 80.

Looking at around a 2004, less than 50k, preferably black and for around £3k :D

Clio 182 FF
most diesels are 8v

Yer a know, ideally wanted a 1.3 cdti sxi for her, but they only came in around 2005. So a good one was coming in around £5k.

Not for me mate, would never have a diesel myself personally. Its for my sister who's 17, has no idea about cars and fancies a clio. Think im going to concentrate on 1.2's and the dci 80.

Clio 182 FF
most diesels are 8v

Yer a know, ideally wanted a 1.3 cdti sxi corsa for her, but they only came in around 2005. So a good one was coming in around £5k.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

I said that lol, the money saving made me go for it and im so glad i did lol thing does abot 700 miles to a tank of diesel! lol

if its for your sister whos 17 why not look at a dci65? the dci80 will be more expensive to insure

Clio 182 FF

I said that lol, the money saving made me go for it and im so glad i did lol thing does abot 700 miles to a tank of diesel! lol

if its for your sister whos 17 why not look at a dci65? the dci80 will be more expensive to insure

Why the fook did it duplicate my last post 3 times? lol

Anyways, 700miles out of a tank sounds great. And the reason for the dci 80 instead of the 65, is that my mum will be using it too. Insurance isnt really an issue tbh :)

Also forgot to ask, what model is the best to get. I see alot of 'dynamiques' is that the equivilent to a vauxhalls's 'sxi'?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Anyways, 700miles out of a tank sounds great. And the reason for the dci 80 instead of the 65, is that my mum will be using it too. Insurance isnt really an issue tbh :)

Also forgot to ask, what model is the best to get. I see alot of 'dynamiques' is that the equivilent to a vauxhalls's 'sxi'?

yeah dynamique imo is the only one to go for, extremes are similar but not as good, expression and authentique not worth looking at unless the price is really low.

1.2 16v is more dci65 pace, id say the dci80 is more 1.4 16v pace, probably keep up ok with a 1.6 16v

Clio 182 FF

yeah dynamique imo is the only one to go for, extremes are similar but not as good, expression and authentique not worth looking at unless the price is really low.

1.2 16v is more dci65 pace, id say the dci80 is more 1.4 16v pace, probably keep up ok with a 1.6 16v

cheers for your help mate

Clio 182 FF
Went to the Renault garage dealership today and my mum/sister bought an 06 Reg, 12k miles, 1.2 16v 'Campus Sport' for £4995. Not a bad price considering it was listed at £5795 originally :)

I had a go of it in the test drive too, had a decent bit of poke for a 1.2. And felt nice and smooth to drive. Pick it up weds, cheers for your help :thumbs:

The 65 is a good buy cheaper than the 80 on insurance and buying
Noticed there was 2 1.5 diesel versions, the 65 and the 80. The 65 looks abit slow on paper, or is there not much difference?
Don't bother worrying about the speed the 65 is fine.
Surely the DCi 80 will be the better buy? I also noticed there not 16v engines? Why? lol
No need to be 16V so why bother with te extra parts.

the 80 is more expensive and worth more but all cars depreciate so the 65 is the cheaper long term.
And VW and Renault etc etc.