ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con delete

Audi A3
Evening all.

Had an issue up on a track day at Anglesey over the weekend.

Air con pump had siezed, eventually jumping the belt off, leaving no power steering, battery light on etc... all the good stuff.

I couldn't get hold of a new pump. So was removed for the time. Took the belt to a parts seller nearby, found a shorter one and fitted it for good measure... saved the day. Did track time and made it back to the midlands.

My question is, is this a viable option to run long term?the belt used was shorter to avoid the gap where the air con pump was, fitted with enough tension and certainly seems to do the job. Im not great with cars, had some assistance from a friend and his dad and they all seemed happy. But I thought I would ask here to see if anyonr has seen anything similar.

monaco 172
I think the issue with what you have done is that because the air con pump is ribbed and the deflector pulley isn't, the fact you have removed the ribbed section leaves the belt open to falling off.

Most people replace the deflector pulley with a ribbed idler pulley and run the belt over it so it can't jump off.

Audi A3
I think the issue with what you have done is that because the air con pump is ribbed and the deflector pulley isn't, the fact you have removed the ribbed section leaves the belt open to falling off.

Most people replace the deflector pulley with a ribbed idler pulley and run the belt over it so it can't jump off.

Ah right ok. So fitting one of them and hopefully it should be good to go??

monaco 172
Yep, I ran mine like that for ages.

I think these are the parts I used

Part no's
Pulley is from a Saab 95 possibly
INA part no 532014610
SKF part no VKM34501

Belt is from a tdci Mondeo I believe
Gates 6pk1640
But belt will have numbers on it, so it's 6 ribs wide and 1640mm long

I had to used a couple of washers to space it out slightly so the belt ran true

Clio 172
Hi did you get to try this to check if pulley is ok and belt size as im doing this at moment and if any pics be great.