ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air conditioning system - recommission

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,
So thought I’d start a new thread around the clio climate control system. I have a new condenser I’m planning on fitting as well as a new AC pump. So will be getting the gas (if any left) removed from my system before I start replacing bits. First question though For my understanding as I have never fiddled with AC before really. Adding AC oil/fluid. How do you do this? How much do you need and where do you add it into the system? Appreciate this must be a bit of a Spaz question, but before I start stripping bits I want to make sure I understand.

likely more questions to follow I’m sure.

TIA

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Either add it to the compressor before you fit it or suck it through the service ports. (little black knobs on the top of the ac pipes)
I wouldn't attempt it if you haven't got the proper tools tho, get it wrong and you will f**k the compressor.

One of those jobs where its less hassle and expense just to get a garage to do it if its just the one vehicle.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
The service ports are valves though are they not? I can’t really get a garage to do it as the car is off the road. So either I change the AUX belt and then have to get a garage to replace it again. Or I learn how to do it. What proper tools do you mean??? I can get the grass removed as I have a friend with a charge machine. But the oil/fluid needs to be added to the compressor before full fitment does it not?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The service ports are valves though are they not? I can’t really get a garage to do it as the car is off the road. So either I change the AUX belt and then have to get a garage to replace it again. Or I learn how to do it. What proper tools do you mean??? I can get the grass removed as I have a friend with a charge machine. But the oil/fluid needs to be added to the compressor before full fitment does it not?
Just undo the pressure switch on the right of the condensor, remove the oring and screw it back in.

Go in for a brew and all the gas will be gone when you come back

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

If your mates got a charge machine then it's a piece of piss, Just add the oil to your new compressor (low pressure side) give it a few spins by hand and away to go.

If its a new part it might already have oil in it btw.

Edit: Need to replace the drier aswell just so you know.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Isn’t that illegal though? I can get it pumped out easy enough. Was more worried about how to fill the system with oil?
Depends on the gas in the system, and who knows where it went when you were having a brew.
May aswell have it pumped out by your mate yeah. Tbh most dont even have any gas in them!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Isn’t that illegal though? I can get it pumped out easy enough. Was more worried about how to fill the system with oil?
1597412414793.png

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers yes, I’ll replace the dryer. Be silly not too I guess. Like Louis says it may be already empty anyway. I’ll double check. It’s a second hand pump. The clutch had gone on my original one! So I add the fluid to low pressure inlet spin it up to ‘bleed’ the pump and reconnect? Simple as that? Does that not mean the oil is pumped around the whole ac system? I presumed the system ran ‘dry’ and the oil was to lubricate the ‘pump’ if it’s added to the lower pressure side it’s going to be pumped around? Again sorry if that’s a simpleton question.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers yes, I’ll replace the dryer. Be silly not too I guess. Like Louis says it may be already empty anyway. I’ll double check. It’s a second hand pump. The clutch had gone on my original one! So I add the fluid to low pressure inlet spin it up to ‘bleed’ the pump and reconnect? Simple as that? Does that not mean the oil is pumped around the whole ac system? I presumed the system ran ‘dry’ and the oil was to lubricate the ‘pump’ if it’s added to the lower pressure side it’s going to be pumped around? Again sorry if that’s a simpleton question.
Where was your pump from mate?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Plenty of companies that come to you to test/fill/repair systems.

For the sake of the £50 they charge to do it, it's not even worth worrying about trying to regas it yourself.

These guys did mine last year..

IMG_20190529_133200.jpg

Used to design full aftermarket systems, before it was mainstream in everyday days - now mostly just do this stuff.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Your thinking about it the wrong way It's a compressor not a pump as such.

Attached the workshop manual for you last section.

Attachments

• Clio sport manual 3286a.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 151

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I won’t be gassing myself! Like I say my mate has a machine! It’s adding the cooling fluid/oil I’m planning on doing. Basically I will be replacing the condenser, compressor, dryer. Will then get the system leak tested and regassed professionally when the car goes in for its final once over prior to MOT

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Your thinking about it the wrong way It's a compressor not a pump as such.

Attached the workshop manual for you last section.
Apologies I know it’s a compressor, not sure why I keep calling it a pump. Workshop manual is very helpful thank you. Confirms basically that new compressors come ready filled, I will need to add 135ml of fluid to mine by the looks of it. I’ll add to low pressure side of the system. Then system needs a vacuum drawing through it, which I presume is done via the degassing machine my friends has...😄

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Any decent AC recovery/charging machine will add the correct amount of oil in with the refrigerant gas during the charge cycle. As long as the compressor is primed with oil prior to fitting you don't need to do anything else.

thanks, that seems to be where I have ended up. I just need to prime the compressor prior to retirement. The rest will be done when it’s regassed. To be honest I would be doing this now out of choice, but I got to replace the alternator as well. I don’t fancy messing around with the AUX belt again in the future so trying to do it all at once!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
surely don't need to worry about the oil either, the compressor won't spin as the clutch will be disengaged anyway provided you don't switch the climate on.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
thanks, that seems to be where I have ended up. I just need to prime the compressor prior to retirement. The rest will be done when it’s regassed. To be honest I would be doing this now out of choice, but I got to replace the alternator as well. I don’t fancy messing around with the AUX belt again in the future so trying to do it all at once!
Yeah pretty much. The machines do nearly all the work from recovering old gas, leak testing and recharging refrigerant automatically. Can't remember if they actually add oil automatically or just measure the contents and the operator can then add as required but it's all covered anyway.

Also to answer one of your questions above, AC systems are dry in the sense that they are vacuumed of all moisture (water content) but they need oil ran through to lubricate seals etc.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
surely don't need to worry about the oil either, the compressor won't spin as the clutch will be disengaged anyway provided you don't switch the climate on.

But I need to replace the compressor as the clutch is rattling around, I have to do the alternator as that’s broken. So may as well sort the AC out at the same time. Not point replacing AUX belt to replace alternator, then replace it again at a not too distant point in the future to replace the compressor. Would rather get it all done at once. So replace compressor, get AC sorted. I have all the parts so may as well crack on.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I get that but what I mean is can do all that just pop system back together with new ac bits then drive somewhere get it commissioned

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I get that but what I mean is can do all that just pop system back together with new ac bits then drive somewhere get it commissioned

that’s kind of what the plan is, I was just missing the information around priming the compressor with ac fluid. So I will get it all installed, oiled up and ready to go then I’ll get either my mate with his machine or a proper AC company to recommission, leak test etc.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I want to do the same to mine, theres no pressure in the system so I'd imagine its leaked out somewhere, most likely the radiator as it's in a right mess.

I'd be interested how you get on

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I want to do the same to mine, theres no pressure in the system so I'd imagine its leaked out somewhere, most likely the radiator as it's in a right mess.

I'd be interested how you get on
I have ordered the fluid and will order a new dryer today. Which I think is all I’ll need to complete the job. So will be cracking on over next few weeks I guess now

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I meant condenser not radiator, I'm hoping that replacing that and the dryer then getting a recharge to see how it goes before looking at anything else.

I seem to remember there being really cheap dryers on ECP.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
The air con machine should be able to add some oil to the system.

I don’t do air con at work so don’t take this as gospel but looked up my 172 on our computer. Said it takes 130ml of oil, but then our air con machine can only add two digits so not sure how that works when replacing a compressor (I guess the machine only ever tops up usually?)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So those of you that recently replaced their Dryers. Where did you buy and which manufacturer did you opt for please? Struggling for a U.K. supplier. AUTODOC want as much for shipping as the dryer unit itself.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
eBay the nissens one on there - about £15/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk