ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag and SERV light on after steering wheel change!

Black Clio 172
Seeing as this is my second post with a problem in ten mins you can appreciate im having a bad time!

I changed my 172 steering wheel for a replacement. It was a real pig to do in the end. Firstly the auto correct on the indicators wouldnt work and the wheel wasnt on straight (i thought that wasnt possible). Anyway to cut a long story short I fixed the above but the airbag and SERV lights are now on. There is also an annoying wire catching noise on big lock! any ideas?

you used any resistors for the airbag wires??

do a search for it, theres loads of threads on it including mine somewhere which tells you what you need.

Mondeo TDCI 130
When you removed the old one did you make sure the plastic airbag ring stayed still?!

Sounds like it may be damaged if the light is on and the airbag is plugged in etc!, combined with your scraping noise.

i'd whip it back off in that case and make sure your connections are all properly in. i've had mine off and on a couple of times when swapping it back for MOT etc and i've not had any problems.

make sure all the wiring is not tangled either and sits in the proper places, could explain the catching.

When you removed the old one did you make sure the plastic airbag ring stayed still?!

Sounds like it may be damaged if the light is on and the airbag is plugged in etc!, combined with your scraping noise.

thought this only brought up the tcs / esp and service light? not the airbag light.

Black Clio 172
Erm... we had a slight issue with the plastic airbag ring and the wiring so that could be it! Im guessing this is expensive?

about £100 from ren i think if it does need replacing.

you make sure the little window on the column had the.....orange???!! (mental block).....colour showing in it when you put the wheel back on?

haha fair point. didnt think of that....

yeh i'd read too many stories on here of people frying the wires swapping wheels etc, made sure i read up when i did it but still managed to spin the airbag ring round when doing it first time. easy mistake and luckily managed to reset it myself.

Black Clio 172
Luckily the airbag ring was intact and no damage. It has now been fixed and the error code removed although the garage charged an hours labour and a diagnostic connection fee!

Black Clio 172
just got back from 2nd attempt and the indicator cancel issue is intermittant. You would have thought a decent garage could put on a steering wheel properly!