ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag Serv Lights.....Steering Fault....Braking fault.....wont start!....Help

LJR

Renault Clio
Sorry for posting yet another Airbag warning light thread but its driving me mad.

Car: 2006 Clio 1.6 Initiale 1.6 Auto. Very clean low mileage.
Symptoms: Car running fine but after a few mins Airbag lights come on. Stop engine and the steering lock fails to engage, steering fault lights up, then braking fault comes on, car wont start up. If the car is left switched off for a while then it (sometimes) returns to normal and will start as normal. After a few minutes Airbag lights up again and it all happens again.
All of the above are intermittent!!
Just when I think it is fixed it all starts going wrong again.
Code reader shows no faults
I am having trouble locating the connectors under the passenger seat (leather).....I know... i'm an idiot!
Battery is fine. All connections in fuse boxes fine.

Anyone suggest what to try next please

Thanks

Clio 197,with megan'
Check the earthing points. Disconnect the Battery for a few minutes. If you use the key fob, fit new battery. Let us know how you get on. I have had the same problem, but doing the above fixed it for me.

LJR

Renault Clio
Check the earthing points. Disconnect the Battery for a few minutes. If you use the key fob, fit new battery. Let us know how you get on. I have had the same problem, but doing the above fixed it for me.
Thanks. Will give it a try

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for posting yet another Airbag warning light thread but its driving me mad.

Car: 2006 Clio 1.6 Initiale 1.6 Auto. Very clean low mileage.
Symptoms: Car running fine but after a few mins Airbag lights come on. Stop engine and the steering lock fails to engage, steering fault lights up, then braking fault comes on, car wont start up. If the car is left switched off for a while then it (sometimes) returns to normal and will start as normal. After a few minutes Airbag lights up again and it all happens again.
All of the above are intermittent!!
Just when I think it is fixed it all starts going wrong again.
Code reader shows no faults
I am having trouble locating the connectors under the passenger seat (leather).....I know... i'm an idiot!
Battery is fine. All connections in fuse boxes fine.

Anyone suggest what to try next please

Thanks

Check battery voltage is 14.5 volts with the engine running.

If not ,check that the 8mm red alternator ring has not rotted through, and the white alternator exciter wire has a 12v feed, and is firmly connected before condemning the alternator.

A healthy battery will recover itself if left to stand, but if not being charged when the engine is running, systems will start to fail once battery voltage drops below 11v.

LJR

Renault Clio
Thanks for your advice.

New batteries in the key fobs seem to have resolved everything.
Top man!

Thanks again

It appears I spoke too soon..........Same faults reappear after approx 15-20 mins of driving

Back to square one :mad:

LJR

Renault Clio
So I have reluctantly had to go to my local Renault dealer for a diagnosis.
They have found, and cleared, lots of stored faults.
The "THINK" it is probably the airbag computer that needs replacing at a cost of around £600!!!!!
They also said that the sensors in the doors need replacing at the same time??
The car has not been in a bump by the way and the airbags have not been deployed.
Can anyone advise me if there is a more cost effective way of resolving this?
I have seen used airbag acu's on ebay for around £30.
Is this simple to replace?
Can it be reset instead of replace?
Do I need to replace the door sensors?

Thanks in advance