ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alarm

R35 GTR

:confused:Right, daft question. I am trying to find out if the alarm I have in my car is factory fitted or not. I have looked everywhere for the alarm , cant find it.

I ask because there are two sensors, one on each pillar, screwed in, plus an led next to the gear stick. This doesnt look like a very good factory insallation, if it is one.

Dealer also told me it was a thatcham 1. I am a complete beginner with alarms.

sounds like a factory cat 1 to me (the light by the gear knob gives it away)
i take it you only have the button on the key to unlock the car ??

R35 GTR

Only have the one button yep. To me it doesnt look like the led should be there, but clios are kinda quirky.

The LED is the sign theres an alarm you cannot see the alarm box though its hidden in the dash if youve got the two little speakers on the door pillers and an LED on the gearshift are then you have a Renault Cobra alarm which is right.

black gold 182

yep definately a cobra alarm,the dealer just gave me the paper work for my alarm the other day,its got a seperate supplement with installer confirmation etc.

R35 GTR

Thanks guys. Will it need declaring or do insurance companies know its there? Probably wont make my quote cheaper though.

Quote: Originally posted by Dave3141 on 30 August 2005

Thanks guys. Will it need declaring or do insurance companies know its there? Probably wont make my quote cheaper though.
You probably have to have it on for them to insure you.

All UK cars have the alarm fitted.

You dont have to declare it as it should have it anyway.

clio 182 black /gold

Yes it is a cobra fitted for renault and insurance companys acknowlege it already.

Quote: Originally posted by rhollins on 01 September 2005

So are all 172s/182s fitted with a cat1 alarm & immobiliser as standard?
Yep all Uk spec cars delivered from Renault Uk are. There fitted by the docks ther Cobra alarms.

UK imports can sometimes not have the Uk spec alarm and have others fitted. You can usuauly tell as there a seperate remote for the alarm.

Upgrading the alarm/imobiliser wont realy make any difference its a good alarm a second alarm might help with some insurers in some areas along with trackers but it wont make a huge difference.